Mr.Beer Community
Sign in to follow this  
CinAbottle

How many at once?

First off I want to say my name is Corey. I'm new to the forum and to the brewing world... and damn is it a big world!

I apologize if this has already been asked but since there are a million threads already I can't see myself going through all of them. My question is this... for all of you that have your signature filled with what seems a ton of batches, does this mean you have your basement/garage/kitchen filled with kegs of fermenting beer? How many do all of you have going at once and do you all use the LBK, other bottles/pales, or a combination?

My wife is buying me my first MB kit for Christmas and I can't wait to get started and I'm already picturing having a room full of LBK's and all kinds of different batches!

Thanks for ALL the information, you all are great!

Corey

Welcome, Corey. You've come to a good place. Everyone's different. One common scenario, or set-up, is to have 3 LBK's working all the time. You start one each week and bottle one each week, and the rotation can go on indefinitely. That's what I try to do, but life often has a way of sidetracking me, so it doesn't always happen. Sometimes I miss a week, or even 2 or 3 weeks. Other times I'm lucky enough to do 2 batches in a week to get caught up. You'll find your own personal pace that fits your lifestyle and your desire for home made beer. The two will meet somewhere in the middle, eventually.

That's really helpful, Joe. Thank you. I'm sure it's easy to lookup but you seems pretty on top of it so I'll ask you lol. How many 12oz bottles will one LBK make? If I get three going at once I want to make sure I have enough room or if I'll have to invest in a fullsize fridge. Where do YOU store all your batches?

If you overfill the LBK as much as you can stand, leaving very little head space for air across the top surface, you can pump out about 2.4 to 2.5 gallons of good beer leaving the sediment behind. That's about 300 to 320 ounces, depending on the amount of sediment. Divide that by 12 ounces, and you get about a case of beer, 24 bottles, even with a little margin of error.

I personally bottle all mine in plastic PET bottles, some in quarts, some in pints, and a few 8 and 12 ounce ones for early test samples. I store them in cardboard boxes that I label with a sticky note and stack in what used to be an office at my house. It may become an office again after my wife kicks me out for this practice.

[EDIT]- I guess it would be irresponsible of me not to mention that the Mr Beer refills and recipes are only designed to make 2 gallons. You can't just add enough water to fill it up to 2.5 gallons without watering down your beer. You have to add more ingredients along with the water. hat may or may not be obvious without mention, but better safe than sorry.

I have 6 lbks right now, up till now I've only had 4 going at once, but after new years & until early spring I plan on having all 6 going.

I want to get enough brewed this winter so I don't hafta brew next summer.

I have 3 spare kegs, but for me, combined with other activities, one at a time on a 3 week cycle is the right rate of production most of the time.

Thanks for all the input guys. So for all of you that have more than one... care to describe your setup/location for everything? I know Joe mentioned storing the bottles in his office until his wife kicks him out which I can completely understand. What's the ideal location to ferment besides out of the sun and in a dark location?

I have three. Presently I have two fermenting and will start the third this weekend.

I have two LBKs and a five-gallon set-up, and I do as Joe said; I have the three of them going at once, at different stages of a three-week fermentation, so every Sunday is bottling/brewing day for me.

As far as volume, I fill the LBK up to the bottom of the "Q" in "Quart", embossed on the back, and I can pretty much count on 24 twelve-ounce bottles.

If you look at my signature, you'll see the dates I've brewed and bottled each batch, which will give you an idea of my rotation. I have a corner of my basement set aside as my brew space. My brother built an 8' bench to hold all my fermenters, a bench capper, and empty bottles. The conditioning beer is kept down there, also, off to the side. It's nice having a full basement. The beers listed in the "Drinking" section have finished conditioning and I've brought them upstairs and put them in the beer closet in my man cave. They don't all go into the fridge at once, and the extended conditioning time helps them mature a little more. Eventually the closet will be stuffed with six-packs of beer, with more cases downstairs still conditioning! It's quite a sight. Last summer I must have had 15 cases of beer in various stages of conditioning. Like I said, it's nice to have a full basement.

Well, Corey, there's all kinds of different setups, depending on each person's available space and resources. Some folks keep their fermenters on shelves in basements, like Dave, where the temperature is naturally right. Some people keep them in refrigerators turned up higher than normal refrigeration temps, using special controllers. Some folks keep them in ice chests and use plastic bottles of frozen water to keep them cool or hot water in the bottles to keep them warm, depending on time of year and conditions in the house. I'l probably keep mine in the trunk of my car after my wife gives me the boot for cluttering up the house with beer making supplies.

2 LBKs, 4 sets of PET bottles (2 one liter, 2 half liter). LBKs go on floor in pantry with current conditioning bottles. After 4 weeks in bottles they go in basement. I was hoping to do 1 at a time, but found two at a time more efficient. Biggest issue is figuring when I can start next batch by projecting when I will have enough empties, keep guessing wrong and having empties before LBK is available.

My guesstimate was every 5 weeks bottling one LBK, but that has not worked. May start incorporating glass bottles to have more flexibility, or buy unwanted Mr. Beer's on Craigslist after the holidays. Got second LBK, with bottles, for $10 that way.

+1 on the cooler with frozen/hot water bottles. You can get the temps right where u want them quite easily.

I just started back and brew every 3 weeks to keep the supply going. I have thought about moving that up to every 2 weeks so I could put one of my 3 LBKs as a secondary fermenter, 1 as a bottling bucket and 1 for brewing. I may change the pace but am still learning so cranking out a bunch of beer every week is too much at this point.

I have 3 LBK (little brown kegs). At times I have anywhere from 1 to 2 going.

I don't have an air conditioned house so I really didn't get to brew in the summer heat.

Now that's it's cooling down I've started back up.

I'm usually limited by the number of free bottles I have. I mainly use glass bottles but I do also use the PET Mr. Beer Bottles as well. I buy bottles at my local brew store but I also keep Sam Adams bottles that I buy as they work great as well!

I let my LBKs ferment in my finished attic office usually, and that is where I store my conditioning beer in the same boxes the bottles came in until they are ready to drink.

It's heated up there but usually still cooler from not being as insulated so the temps hover around the mid 60's or so, perfect for brewing.

I then put the finished beer in an extra fridge I have in our garage.

Welcome to the obsession, Corey! :borg:
Everyone is a little different and there are multiple ways to brew beer, which is so great about the hobby. I started out with a single MrB kit with a LBK, a few PET bottles, and a West Coast Pale Ale HME kit. Now I have 2 LBKs, a 5 gallon setup, and about 8 cases of glass bottles. Never have I ever had all fermenters filled at once, nor have I ever had all of my glass bottles filled at any one time. (I'm the only beer drinker in the house and I simply don't drink that much). I usually brew a single batch at a time, using 1 LBK to ferment, and the other LBK to batch prime. I also throw in a few 5 gallon batches here and there using my other brew kit. it depends on how low my pipeline is getting. Here in Chicago, my basement provides the perfect brewing environment. It stays between 65 and 75 degrees year round. Cheers!

Welcome to the Borg Corey! My name is Dave an I'm a brewaholic! I only have 2 LBK's and don't use them very often anymore. But I'm hoping that changes when the holiday stock of refills goes on sale. At the moment I ferment All Grain 5 gal batches in three 6 1/2 gal plastic buckets and one better bottle carboy. I finally had them all going last week for the first time ever. I'm glad I keg and have 4 cornies to put the beer in because I would dread having to bottle that much beer. I would recommend picking up another LBK, a capper and recycling some pop top beer bottles as this hobby will take hold fast! It hasn't even been a year for me and look what MrBeer has done to my life!

You all are great at helping out and providing information. Thanks for all the tips on where to store and ferment, and the setups you all use. Also, thank you for the warm welcome. I've always wanted to home and I dont have the kit yet and I'm already obsessed.

It's really good to know that everyone keeps using the LBK's. I was under the impression is was a straight up first time brewer kit and after a few goes you were expected to upgrade and use this whole elaborate system. For $10 an LBK you can't beat that either.

Do most of you use the refills from MB or do you buy ingredients from all over and just use the LBK?

Thanks again for all the help!

Once and only once did I have 3-5 gallon fermenters going and 2 LBK's going. They were staggered days apart so I spent a whole week kegging and bottling something each night. A bit too much.
Now I regulary have 1-2 5 gallon batches going and sometimes some LBK's at the same time but I find I can keep on top of things if I spread things out.

I can't drink all the beer I brew now but I'm going to die trying!

Yeah my wife drink 1 beer to my 5 or 6 so I'm sure all the beer will be for me. Not sure ill have room for more than a couple fermenters anyways.

Guest System Admin

Welcome to the forums :borg: Corey. Echoing others comments. I have 2 LBK's and a 5 gallon setup as well. I always try to have each fermenting going with some sort of brew.

As others, life has a way of effecting that of course. Right now, I have 1 LBK fermenting and that's it. Waiting on Santa to bring me some goodies for Christmas to really get everything back up and running full strength.

Of course, it is entirely up to you and your setup. The more fermenters you have, the less time you have to wait to drink your creations of course. Have Fun !!!

Welcome to the obsession, Corey! I am a pretty new brewer too (only been doing this since July), but I now have 3 LBK's in rotation, and I am going to start rotating in a 5 gal kit in as well. (I couldn't pass up the free starter kit deal at Northern Brewer :P ) But, in all honesty, I really prefer the flexibility and small scale of the MB kits and LBK's. I keep my "brewery" in the basement, where I have a big sturdy table to keep all my LBK's and supplies lined up. I also have a chest freezer with a Johnson controller for lagering, which is not necessary, but sure makes temp control easier!

So far I have only brewed MB kits, and they have worked great for me! I'm sure I'll venture outside of the MB world when I become more comfortable and educated about the whole process, but for now, MB makes a pretty darn tasty beer without a ton of work. Gotta love it!

:chug:

So I take it those of you that use the bigger gallon buckets use that to make the bigger batches of the good stuff? Lol

I have multiple LBK's and brew every three weeks. I'd like to do every two weeks but I have two very active kids and the time just isn't there for that. Maybe once they grow up and get out......I'll brew once a week!

I have four sets of bottles that are comprised of (for each batch) 5 One Liter PET bottles, 4 One Half Liter PET's and 4 one half Liter Grolsch swing tops. My batches normally produce 9 liters of beer as I fill to the top of the Q on the LBK and introduce added malt, steeping grains and hops for each batch.

My finished basement is normally 68 degrees but in the mid summer it can get into the high 70's and in the mid winter it can get down to the low 60's. If I'm in the range where it stays at 68 degrees, I just use the pantry in the basement kitchen as the fermenting chamber. If it's on the warm side or cool side and the temps are swinging, I use the under-cab wine chiller set at 68 degrees to maintain the constant temp for ales and I could go down into the 40's for lagers (have not done a lager yet).

I have 2.5. 2 LBK's and 1 Modified Jug from Walmart

I usually always have 1 going at a time, but my future plans is to have 2 going at all times.

Yes. While I can polish off a liter (or two) easily, the wife likes a more "normal" sized beer so that accounts for the 1/2 liter PET's.

On the odd occasion that I feel nice enough to share my homebrew with someone who is visiting the house (read: give up MY beer).......having those Grolsch swing tops is nice for that purpose.

Method = Madness!

Plus, it keeps bottling more interesting working with three types of bottles on each batch.

OK, OK, I admit it....that's bullshit....nothing makes bottling more interesting.

Guest System Admin

"Wings_Fan_In_KC" post=301776 said:

OK, OK, I admit it....that's bullshit....nothing makes bottling more interesting.

Nice. Funny. And the truth.

"evily" post=301762 said:

(I couldn't pass up the free starter kit deal at Northern Brewer :P )

I missed that, what was the deal and how long ago was that? :dry:

I have two 5 gallon fermenters full right now. I will be bottling one this weekend and the other the weekend after that.

I have two different sizes because my 2 kits came with the one liters. My wife only drinks a beer at a time, and would prefer 12 oz. I bought two 16 half liter PET bottle cases from Mr. Beer when I had some great coupons and got a great deal.

I try to brew each batch with 4 liters and 8 half liters, so if we want two at once we use the bigger bottle, or if only one use the smaller bottle.

I think my wife is happy with the Firecracker Red Ale, which I have a few in inventory. I may bottle that as all half liter bottles, and keep drinking the ones I like and usually have two glasses - therefore using the liter bottles - for my upcoming Sticky Wicket Oatmeal Stout batch for example.

"Cleveland013" post=301784 said:

It was around CyberMonday time. If you bought their Dead Ringer Ale kit and their 5 gallon brew kettle, you got the 5 gallon starter kit for free (5 gal fermenter, 5 gal bottling bucket, auto-siphon, bottle caps and capper, and beer kit of your choice). It was a pretty sweet deal!

"evily" post=301791 said:

"Cleveland013" post=301784 said:

It was around CyberMonday time. If you bought their Dead Ringer Ale kit and their 5 gallon brew kettle, you got the 5 gallon starter kit for free (5 gal fermenter, 5 gal bottling bucket, auto-siphon, bottle caps and capper, and beer kit of your choice). It was a pretty sweet deal!

Nice score! :)

Through no fault of my own (I blame my daughter for this madness - xmas gift last year)I have come to own 8 lbk's and 2 five gallon buckets and a carboy. I have an addictive personality, whether it be gambling drinking &/or brewing so I can justify this all to my wife. I have about 15-18 cases of beer in all states of conditioning and most of my bottles are .5 litres with 3 sets of 1 litre bottles. When I brew, it is all about the setup and the cleanup so i usually brew 3 lbk's in a 4-6 hour period depending on ingredients, steeping grains and PM grains as well as just extract brewing. This is NOT an obsession with me , that's what I tell my wife. It is fun and I enjoy doing it...kinda like s-e-x ya know, but for a longer period of time. :ohmy:
Welcome to the BORG and to your next fun hobby, er, obsession.

I really prefer the flexibility and small scale of the MB kits and LBK's.

My preference also. I like all sorts and types of beers and will usually drinl whatever I'm in the mood for at the time. The 2 gallon LBKs allow me to have a fairly large assortment of beers available without having to do it in 5 gallon batches.

"CinAbottle" post=301749 said:

It's really good to know that everyone keeps using the LBK's. I was under the impression is was a straight up first time brewer kit and after a few goes you were expected to upgrade and use this whole elaborate system. For $10 an LBK you can't beat that either.

Do most of you use the refills from MB or do you buy ingredients from all over and just use the LBK?

Thanks again for all the help!

Welcome aboard! As far as ingredients go most of us here still use MB and/or a combination of other ingredients. MB stuff is a great way to start and your able to take baby steps up to other stuff. Usually it starts with a hop boil, then steeping grains, then a partial mash and all the way up to a full blown all grain brew! This hobby is awesome and you can make it as elaborate or as simple as you want it's really up to you and the time/money you have to invest! A Mr. Beer brew day is typically 2 to 3 hours while an all grain brew day can easily be 6+ hours long!

Anyway welcome and keep on posting! See the simple guidelines sticky that was written by one of the forum members who has TONS of experience! It's going to give you step by step instuctions and answer some questions you may have about other things!!

"T8r Salad" post=301800 said:

Through no fault of my own (I blame my daughter for this madness - xmas gift last year)I have come to own 8 lbk's...

I'm thinking 8 LBKs makes you the record-holder. Just sayin'.

Guest System Admin

8 lbk's and 2 five gallon buckets and a carboy

Holy Shit Batman!!

I have 2-LBKs and 3-5 gallon setups. When making house or session brews I tend to make 5 gallon batches. When testing a new recipe, doing a nice and easy Mr. Beer kit, or simply making a brew that Im not sure I want 2 cases of, I will revert back to my LBKs. When time is limited and the beer is getting low, nothing helps to replenish the ole pipeline like a LBK.

Welcome Corey.

I have 2 LBK's for beer and a slimline for Cider..Keeps a nice pipeline going, I am rotating every 3 weeks brewing and bottling.

"packerduf" post=301818 said:

Through no fault of my own (I blame my daughter for this madness - xmas gift last year)I have come to own 8 lbk's...

Don't ya remember what Swenocha got:

[attachment=9727]IMAG013.jpg[/attachment]

7 LBK's on top of what he already had!!!

"k9dude" post=301834 said:

I may or may not presently be in possession of 3 of those ^^^^
:gulp:

YOWZER!!! :woohoo:

Yeah, I had a pile like that too. But 11 LBKs was a bit much LOL.

So I took my pile and split it up into a handful of LBK/Bottle bundles. I'm going to give them away to folks for the holidays along with a recipe I think they will enjoy. Maybe bring us some new members.

So I currently have 3 LBKs in active rotation, one I used as a bottling bucket, and a couple of spares in case I decide to brew a couple of 5 or 6 gallon batches at the same time. I don't see me brewing any more then that.

Guest System Admin

So I took my pile and split it up into a handful of LBK/Bottle bundles. I'm going to give them away to folks for the holidays along with a recipe I think they will enjoy. Maybe bring us some new members.

They are lucky suckers!

WELCOME!!! I think you are going to like it here this one diverse and dynamic group of brewers. There brewers doing LBK's to 20 gallons to brewery owners here. Extract to All Grain and everything in between!! I am going to warn you the hobby is addicting. I started with a LBK and I am now in the process of designing and building a basement brewery. Hope to be able to do 20 gallon AG batches in the future. Once again welcome, relax and crack open a homebrew it is all good here!!!

:lumberjack: :lumberjack: :party: :cheers: :lumberjack: :lumberjack:

Welcome to the forum!

I have a few LBKs, Ale Pales, glass carboys, better bottle carboys, tons of bottles, and me thunks I'm at 6 kegs for da moment.

"haerbob3" post=301874 said:

WELCOME!!! I think you are going to like it here this one diverse and dynamic group of brewers. There brewers doing LBK's to 20 gallons to brewery owners here. Extract to All Grain and everything in between!! I am going to warn you the hobby is addicting. I started with a LBK and I am now in the process of designing and building a basement brewery. Hope to be able to do 20 gallon AG batches in the future. Once again welcome, relax and crack open a homebrew it is all good here!!!

:lumberjack: :lumberjack: :party: :cheers: :lumberjack: :lumberjack:

Thanks for the welcome, haerbob3. If you're willing I'd like to know more about your basement brewery you're planning to make. You can PM me or email me @ CoreyBH25@gmail.com if you want.

I have a full basement but it's unfinished. Does anyone ferment/store/condition like that or is that a bad place to do it? I have a spare bedroom but I'm pretty sure my wife doesn't want a bunch of beer sitting in there lol.

"CinAbottle" post=301979 said:

I have a full basement but it's unfinished. Does anyone ferment/store/condition like that or is that a bad place to do it? I have a spare bedroom but I'm pretty sure my wife doesn't want a bunch of beer sitting in there lol.

Yep, all of my fermenting and conditioning takes place in my unfinished (but clean!) basement. It's a great place for brewing, as the temperatures are generally cooler and it's nice a dark.

Oh how I miss the basements I had growing up in the northeast. Here in Texas you're about as likely to see a basement as you are to see a polar bear. Oh what I wouldn't give for a basement now.

"Joechianti" post=302024 said:

Oh how I miss the basements I had growing up in the northeast. Here in Texas you're about as likely to see a basement as you are to see a polar bear. Oh what I wouldn't give for a basement now.

+1. I feel your pain, brother. Oklahoma basements are nearly nonexistent.

Ive seen a basement. I want to see a polar bear. Last March i had 23 gallons going at once until SWMBO cried Uncle. This January i will try to get 26 gallons going but then i must find more bottles.

26 gallons! I can't even imagine trying to drink all that. How long does everyone condition their bottles and do you all cold condition too? What's the longest everyone has kept bottles conditioned before refridgerating them? I know I can find this information on other threads but I figure I'll keep this going since you all are great lol.

Yeah in Illinois I think it's like a law or something but EVERYONE has a basement.

A lot of people online at midnight (well midnight my time)... Some of you out there work nights like me or watching your beer ferment? lol

"CinAbottle" post=302105 said:

Yeah in Illinois I think it's like a law or something but EVERYONE has a basement.

you must live in "tornado alley", that is an excellent place to be in a tornado. when i lived in kentucky, every one there had a basement too.

now here in "earth quake central" (california), to be in a basement is not a good thing in a quake. out in the open with no trees or any thing or better still in an airplane is best. :cheers:

"packerduf" post=302028 said:

Why?

"pete rose haircut" post=302123 said:

"packerduf" post=302028 said:

Why?

Clay soil. Too much shifting, causing cracks in basement walls. Some of the houses in the older part of town have basements, and they all have water in them much of the time.

"CinAbottle" post=302107 said:

A lot of people online at midnight (well midnight my time)... Some of you out there work nights like me or watching your beer ferment? lol

I do IT stuff from home. I have to update servers at night, so am up until 3AM most of the time. Nice.

While I'm twiddling my thumbs waiting for FTPs to finish I post jibberish here LOL.

And I'm typing from my basement bunker, with 3 LBKs full of beer on a shelf behind me. (edit: and about 20 gallons of beer in bottles).

It's 1 am in Central Texas. I'm usually awake until around 3 am since I get home from work about now.

I had four before this, leaving me at 11 total, as well as a few 3 gallon better bottles, a couple 4 gallon buckets, and one 5 gallon ale pail. As you might guess, that's more than I can keep full, more than I can fit in the fermenting fridge, and more than my wife would likely allow to be fermenting on counters throughout the house. So, after giving some away, I think I'm down to maybe 8 total (still tied with t8r apparently), and am giving a few of those away for Christmas gifts soon. I hope to get back to having several in rotation soon. I maxed at having four in action last month, but I stopped so that I could be bottled and have no LBKs sitting around full when we had our party last weekend. Now I'm in the clear to get going again.

Well it seems I have a lot of planning to do and I have a feeling Its going to be an addiction like everyone says. Are there any tips and tricks that anyone would like to throw out there? Anything is helpful from type of ingredients you use, supplies to make things easier/better, or things you built or made that made a difference in your brewing...

I don't know about Joe's beers...but I'm only getting about 22 bottles per LBK batch.

Right now I have 4 LBKs and 3 of the 5-gallon Ale Pales. I very rarely use the 5 gallon...maybe once every 3 months or so. As for my LBK batches, I usually brew every 7 to 10 days...depending on my mood or inclination to brew.

Right now I have only 2 of the LBKs filled and I just bottled a 5-gallon batch. I will bottle one of the LBKs this weekend and brew another.

In order to get a really good supplyline, I would stagger 3 LBKs over 3 weekends. By the time you brew the final LBK, you're just about ready to bottle the 1st one.

============

At this stage, I have about 8-to-10 cases of the 22 bottle cases not even opened yet. I also have about 40-to-50 beers in my big fridge and about 15 or so in my mini-fridge.

That's a hell of a lot of beer lol. I'm thinking after the first few batches, if they go well, ill go ahead and buy another LBK or two but ill probably stay away from the large buckets since its just me drinking.

Well...there's always Christmas and birthdays and such.

For example, I have an inter-office christmas exchange and the girl wants a giftcard to AMC Theaters or a giftcard to Chipotle. I'll give her one of those and include a 6 pack of assorted brews including my first Christmas spice brew.

Last year, I brewed up the Father's Day Cream Ale recipe for my dad on his Father's Day. And last year, I made a really nice Pale Ale for my sister and her husband for their Christmas present...served in 22 oz bottles. Brother-in-law had like 4 or 5 of them during their week with us.

On the positive side, I have a good selection at home. I can have a Blonde Ale one night or a Rauchbier another night or an IPA the next night.

Take your time and most importantly - Have Fun and enjoy yourself.

Ah i see, I didn't think about all those occasions. If my wife likes the first brew maybe she will be on board for me brewing all kinds lol. So how long do you spend on each part of the process, like the fermenting, conditioning....

"CinAbottle" post=302174 said:

Ah i see, I didn't think about all those occasions. If my wife likes the first brew maybe she will be on board for me brewing all kinds lol. So how long do you spend on each part of the process, like the fermenting, conditioning....

In the spirit of Christmas....

If you really think you would like another LBK, send me your address via PM. I'll send you an LBK and a set of PET bottles with new caps. No Charge.

Guest System Admin

That right there is what makes this the best board on the interwebs!!

Way to go Packer. That was truly a selfless gesture.

"Wings_Fan_In_KC" post=302182 said:

That right there is what makes this the best board on the interwebs!!

Way to go Packer. That was truly a selfless gesture.

I know, I'm completely amazed that someone would do that. I knew I joined this site for a reason. Lol

Well, I tend to think a lot of people have differing schedules.

I ALWAYS ferment for 3 weeks. I suggest at least 2 weeks at minimum and if you have a hydrometer, it will help you ensure completion...but I have found that a full 3 weeks really eliminates the "need" for a hydrometer for that purpose. A hydrometer is very important if you want to tell OG (Original Gravity) and FG (Final Gravity)...and thereby be able to determine your ABV. And at this stage, since I have zero doubt about the beer completely fermenting, my use of the hydrometer is specifically for obtaining those numbers for my logs.

Fermentation will depend a lot upon your yeast and any lag time you may encounter. A yeast like the San Diego Super Yeast (White Labs San Diego Super Yeast WLP090) -- some folks have seen complete fermentation in just 1 week.

As for conditioning (carb & condition): I have the luxury of a lot of beer, so I'm not in any undo burden to need to rush it. I would say I give my beers anywhere from 6 weeks to a couple months.

A lot of that is also determined by the type of beer and what all you have going on. For example, a wheat beer is best when it's young. Also, hops tend to fade over time. So an IPA...the hops may tail off the longer you let it go. Also, the conditioning is the meshing of ingredients. A 6% ABV SMaSH (Single Malt and Single Hop) may take less time that a 6% ABV beer where you have 7 different malts.

On average, I normally let my beers sit about 2 months...but again, it all depends on the beer. I have a Baltic Porter which has 6 different malts and is 9.5% ABV which I bottled on 9/2. I may not touch this until mid-January at the earliest.

====================

Please note that I consider carb & conditioning together.

same here, miss the basements back home in ol west virginny, but here in eastern NC, dig more than three feet and you're under water.

Same here. My wife rarely drinks beer, she's into those sweet sugary wine coolers though. So I tho0ght maybe I'd brew her something "girly" with fruit. It's just me and I don't really drink that much but I like variety and drink whatever I'm in the mood for sometimes something hoppy, sometimes something light other times bitter and everything in between. The LBK makes the right amount, I have two fermenting right now, going to start a third this weekend, that gives me a good variety and pllenyt of beer in the fridge for my purposes. Right now I'm content with brewing two gallons ata time. I've found a place that makes recpe kits in two gallon sizes at around $22.00 per kit. these kits include the extracts, hops even carbonating tabs. I'm going to give thm a try and see how they work out. They don't have much variety I think only around 14 or 15 recipes but if they are ok the recipes would make good base for me to for experimenting.

You're in Illinois too? Cool. B)

"Bull" post=302193 said:

Same here. My wife rarely drinks beer, she's into those sweet sugary wine coolers though. So I tho0ght maybe I'd brew her something "girly" with fruit. It's just me and I don't really drink that much but I like variety and drink whatever I'm in the mood for sometimes something hoppy, sometimes something light other times bitter and everything in between. The LBK makes the right amount, I have two fermenting right now, going to start a third this weekend, that gives me a good variety and pllenyt of beer in the fridge for my purposes. Right now I'm content with brewing two gallons ata time. I've found a place that makes recpe kits in two gallon sizes at around $22.00 per kit. these kits include the extracts, hops even carbonating tabs. I'm going to give thm a try and see how they work out. They don't have much variety I think only around 14 or 15 recipes but if they are ok the recipes would make good base for me to for experimenting.

Make sure you keep us all informed on how they come out. That was one of the questions I had, if any other site has refills for the LBK but no one seemed to chime in on it.

"evily" post=302198 said:

Yup! Close to STL, you?

I think you'll find basements in most communities that either have little issue with high water tables or do have issues with tornadoes. Clay soil isn't really a determinant, I live in a very high clay area but our water table isn't high so with a sump pump we have no issues. I've lived in NJ, MA, PA, MI, SC, and have relatives in Florida. Everywhere had basements in most homes except SC and FL. Our relatives have no basement here in Michigan, but they live in a very high water table area (i.e. on a lake). I've seen basements in areas where they literally had to blast the rock out to make them (and then had a very high level of radon that required remediation).

"RickBeer" post=302201 said:

...Clay soil isn't really a determinant, I live in a very high clay area but our water table isn't high so with a sump pump we have no issues...

In Oklahoma, we have both; clay soil and high water table. :(

"CinAbottle" post=302200 said:

Yup! Close to STL, you?

Central IL, near Peoria.

"evily" post=302215 said:

"CinAbottle" post=302200 said:

Yup! Close to STL, you?

Central IL, near Peoria.

HA! HA! She said Pee---oria!! HAHAHAHAHAHAHAHA!!! :laugh: :laugh: :laugh: :laugh:

"k9dude" post=302241 said:

"evily" post=302215 said:

Central IL, near Peoria.

HA! HA! She said Pee---oria!! HAHAHAHAHAHAHAHA!!! :laugh: :laugh: :laugh: :laugh:

It's even funnier if you pronounce it like my dad does, and make it rhyme with diarrhea. :S :P

"CinAbottle" post=302199 said:

"Bull" post=302193 said:

Make sure you keep us all informed on how they come out. That was one of the questions I had, if any other site has refills for the LBK but no one seemed to chime in on it.

You can always add some LME/DME and hops to make a great LBK batch. Also, Check out Northern Brewer for there 1 gal batch kits. I'm thinking about buying a couple of double batches for 2 close friends that are doing MrBeer batches. For the price you get 2 gallons of beer with steeping grains. Great idea for a MrB sized batch. But I'm still recommending some MrB refills to keep them brewing. I'm looking forward to teaching how to use the HME's with some DME and hops though!

Ill check that site out right now. I'm going to get a few MrB refills under my belt before I try any experimenting... Safer for me that way.

"CinAbottle" post=303032 said:

Anyone have some favorite sites to buy supplies or ingredients?

Midwest Supplies (midwestsupplies.com)is my go-to supplier for non-MrB items.

Northern Brewer because of their packaging! But I also recommend Midwest, Rebel Brewing and Austin Homebrew. These are some of my favorites.

"CinAbottle" post=303057 said:

Just added those to my favotites! Thank you.

Corey, I sent you a PM.

So I just read that when you bottle, the carbonation process creates sediment in the bottom of the bottles... how much sediment is there usually?

Usually just a thin layer. I normally pour all but the last 1/2 inch of beer out, avoiding that little bit of trub.

Most homebrew is best drank in a glass poured out of the bottle. It's best to leave the trub in the bottle and not in your glass

"Knightmare" post=303173 said:

Most homebrew is best drank in a glass poured out of the bottle. It's best to leave the trub in the bottle and not in your glass

I know some folks say they don't mind drinking the trub and some even say they prefer it. I can handle it, but I prefer without it.

About the glass, I started using a glass with home brew only to avoid the sediment, but I was really surprised to find that I get more flavor and aroma drinking out of a glass than out of a bottle. It was really noticeable.