Mr.Beer Community
Sign in to follow this  
CinAbottle

How many at once?

I dont mind drinking from a glass, I just find it easier to open the bottle and go. I have another question. Has anyone ever had a batch taste bad or not turn out right becuase you might have not sanitized something properly?

"CinAbottle" post=303181 said:

I dont mind drinking from a glass, I just find it easier to open the bottle and go. I have another question. Has anyone ever had a batch taste bad or not turn out right becuase you might have not sanitized something properly?

Unfortunately, yes. I've had several batches that were not quite right, for various reasons. I drank them anyway, even if it meant mixing them with other beers to lessen the off taste to an acceptable level.

I would recomend having a glass handy with every homebrew until you have the carbing down. I had a few sneaky ones of my strawberry blonde that would erupt after 15 seconds or so after opening the bottle. It was sneaky like that but does seem to get better as it ages.

If you don't mind additional gas.. and never worring about constipation... yeah, drink it from the bottle. Otherwise, pour into a glass slowly, and once you see the trub to flow out, stop the pour at that point.

So I stopped by our local brew shop after a few years of meaning to go and I have to say I was VERY impressed. Everything I had thought about getting either now or in the future, they had it or said they would be happy to get it. Ill be a happy frequent customer for sure!

When I was in Geramany EVERY bottle of Hefe and most others had a layer of trub in it that we at 18-22 drank ALOT of. No wonder we couldn't get a date all our rooms were toxic. But it will not kill you you paid for it also.

"radonc73" post=303956 said:

When I was in Geramany EVERY bottle of Hefe and most others had a layer of trub in it that we at 18-22 drank ALOT of. No wonder we couldn't get a date all our rooms were toxic. But it will not kill you you paid for it also.

Hahaha that could be the cause. Germany huh... Military?

Ya, 3ID Schweinfurt in So. Bavaria. I was 18 when I got there and only 20 when I left.

"radonc73" post=304008 said:

Ya, 3ID Schweinfurt in So. Bavaria. I was 18 when I got there and only 20 when I left.

I was born in Germany (Berlin) due to my Army parents (yep, both my dad AND mom were in the Army). :) it is one of my lifelong dreams to go back, see where I was born, and enjoy some German beer!

"evily" post=304035 said:

"radonc73" post=304008 said:

I was born in Germany (Berlin) due to my Army parents (yep, both my dad AND mom were in the Army). :) it is one of my lifelong dreams to go back, see where I was born, and enjoy some German beer!

Thank you and thank your family for what they have done. Hopefully one day you get to go back!

As you can see, everyone is different. I have 3 LBK's and usually have at least 2 of them brewing at any one time. I ferment in the laundry room, a cooler in a corner of the family room and in the winter in the basement/garage (where I can do true lagers) I room temperature condition in the laundry room for 4 weeks then move to basement till I put them in the fridge. I usually have 7-8 different brews ready to drink at any one time. I usually wont crack one open till 4 weeks in the bottle and have beers ranging from 4 weeks to a year in the bottle. I use glass exclusively, and generally get 18 twelve ounce bottles and 3 sixteen ounce flippies out of a batch.

"docpd" post=304058 said:

As you can see, everyone is different. I have 3 LBK's and usually have at least 2 of them brewing at any one time. I ferment in the laundry room, a cooler in a corner of the family room and in the winter in the basement/garage (where I can do true lagers) I room temperature condition in the laundry room for 4 weeks then move to basement till I put them in the fridge. I usually have 7-8 different brews ready to drink at any one time. I usually wont crack one open till 4 weeks in the bottle and have beers ranging from 4 weeks to a year in the bottle. I use glass exclusively, and generally get 18 twelve ounce bottles and 3 sixteen ounce flippies out of a batch.

Doc,

Thanks for telling me how you have your setup. Hopefully I can keep my basement at a good temperature for the fermenting and bottle conditioning because the garage is probably the only other place ill be able to work. That's interesting your bottles last a year, I didn't realize they could go that long.

Sorry for resurrecting an old thread, but I was curious as to what a good ratio of LBK was? I have 3 right now. I bought my 1st new, the others I found for less than $10 each. I also put together a 5 Gallon fermenting bucket and 5 gallon bottling bucket. I have the brews going right now. 2 in the LBKs and the other in the bucket. I have my eye on a 4th LBK, but I think that may be 1 to many. I currently have 3 brews going and will need to get more bottles.

LBK 1: Oktoberfest Lager - Brewed on May 17th

LBK 2: Czech Pilsner - Brewed on May 24th

LBK 3: Currently empty (just received it, so it's getting a good cleaning and sanitizing)

5 Gal Bucket: Custom Irish Red - Brewed om May 31st

That's really impossible to answer.  First, it depends on your beer consumption.  Some of us drink a six pack or less a week.  Some drink a case a week.

Second, whether you want to brew every week.  Some people brew on week 1, week 2, and then bottle the first batch on week 3, then brew on week 4, then bottle the second batch (from week 2) on week 5.

Others brew and bottle every weekend.

I tend to brew two LBKs at once, making 5 gallon batches, and then bottle them at 3 weeks, then brew again shortly thereafter.

• Like 1