Mr.Beer Community
Sign in to follow this  
Hamburglar57

Help: Madagascar Vanilla to tweak Sumatra Stout

Hey there Beer Borg :borg: :

I'm thinking about using some Madagascar Bourbon Vanilla beans to tweak the Eye Opener Sumatra Stout recipe that I need to use up. Here is the original recipe:
2 Cans Sticky Wicket Oatmeal Stout HME
2 Packets Dry Brewing Yeast (under lid of HMEs)
1 Pouch Booster™
1 Packet No-Rinse Cleanser

YOU PR0VIDE:
8 Shots Strong Sumatra Espresso -- cooled (1 shot each 1-liter bottle)

I'm going for a sorta Bourbon Breakfast Stout so I'm thinking I'm going to add 1 cup of espresso beans at flameout like in the old Russian Imperial Stout recipe. I also want to add some bourbon soaked oak chips. And of course the vanilla. When it is ready to bottle I can determine if it warrants the cooled espresso shots added to the bottle.

So, 2 questions:

1. How many vanilla beans for a 2.5gal batch? Best ways to prepare it/add it?
2. Based on the recipe, should I consider adding any additional oatmeal?

Thanks in advance for any feedback you might have!

-Mike

can't help. never used vanilla beans and me and oatmeal.. ok for brekkie, can't make shyte for beer with it.

I've never worked with vanilla beans so I can't help you.
I would drop the booster and use DME instead. That's a lot of esspresso you are adding. For my taste, I wouldn't want it to have additional "body", so I'd lay off the oatmeal. As much as I like it as an addition, I would prefer a "thinner" beer with this recipe. While I feel booster would keep it thinner, the DME would blend with the espresso for a better flavor. Mind you, this is my taste, think about what you would enjoy.

I am quite interested in this too as have a Sumatra "kit" that has been sitting around from the last sale. Have been debating doing it with espresso shots or beans at flameout. Let us know how this turns out. I guess I will work on my Terry's Chocolate Christmas Orange Stout in the meantime. (I hope Santa brings me one this year)

Thanks everyone!

As soon as I posted I realized that I probably would cut the Booster out. Glad to hear others feel the same. I don't think I'll add any more oatmeal and just keep the espresso at flameout. That has worked well for the Russian Imperial recipe I've made in the past. I think I'm going to stick to a max of 2 vanilla beans, and I'm going to soak them in bourbon as well.

I'm going to brew this up around New Years, so I'll post back as soon as I can. Feel free to offer any additional thoughts or feedback in the meantime.

:cheers:

Mike