Mr.Beer Community
Sign in to follow this  
philm00x

03. Mr. Rufus Chocolate Brown Ale

Going to brew my first non Mr.Beer recipe tomorrow, and I'm very excited! It's going to be a Northern English Brown Ale. I got a craving for that nutty flavor from Newcastle Brown Ale and went online looking for clone recipes. Only problem was almost all of them were AG, and I do not have anywhere near enough experience to get the courage to start an AG batch. Finally came across a few extract recipes, but they seemed rather extensive and complicated. So I fired up qBrew and took a few of the main ingredients usually found in this style of beer, and made my own recipe, and this is what I came up with:

Mr. Rufus Chocolate Brown Ale
------------------------------------------

2.00 lbs Light DME
0.25 lbs Crystal 10L
0.25 lbs Chocolate Malt
0.25 oz Challenger hops @ 60 mins
0.50 oz EKG hops @ 10 mins
1 packet Danstar Nottingham dry ale yeast

Now I had looked these ingredients up for quite a while online, but I came across a website for a LHBS that had gotten a lot of good reviews in the short time it has been open for business. In particular, the reviews were directing readers away from another LHBS on the opposite end of town from it, which I originally thought was the only brew store to exist here in Orlando. People were saying how rude the proprietor of the shop was and that they recommended going to the other shop in Sanford. I'm glad I took their suggestion to go to the LHBS in Sanford because they were so nice and helpful, and got me set up with all the ingredients for this recipe, and at a price that was half of what it was going to cost me if I had bought it online! Needless to say, my first LHBS experience was a great one. Can't wait to get this recipe brewing in my spare LBK!

You posted this while I was sending you a PM. Read it and tell me what are the odds. :laugh:

Guest System Admin

Glad you had a good experience at the other LHBS, Phil. Sounds like the other one, from other chats we have had, is just not where you want to go. Keep us posted on the brew.

Haha, I just read your PM, Inkleg. Thanks :)

Will definitely let everyone know how this turns out. Did I mention I am quite excited to do this?! :D:D:D

Well, here's to hoping for a successful brew day! Pitched my yeast and got it stored away in the brew closet. SWMBO was NOT happy about the smell in the house during the hop boil, lol! I made it up to her though ;) Only thing that changed was I used 1/2 lb of both crystal 10L and chocolate malt, instead of 1/2 and 1/4. Hope to see some action in the LBK tomorrow. The whole process of steeping the grains and then boiling the wort for hop addition wasn't as bad as I thought it would be!

OG was estimated to 1.053, measured at 1.050 @ 75*F, corrected OG 1.052.
Estimated ABV of 5.1% if FG goes to 1.013. If it does finish there, it'll be 5.0% ABV. Guess we'll see how it goes. That said, I think I did pretty good!

27908_10152342654605022_2007574722_n.jpg

556951_10152343101340022_1793516970_n.jp

1/2# of chocolate malt in an LBK batch is a lot. Especially with how little else there is in this grain bill. If it was American vs. UK chocolate then even more so.

If it's unpleasant, this is why, and next time stick with just a few ounces. Add a few ounces of brown malt and/or some 55L or 80L british crystal if you want more color.

Yeah, I originally just had 1/4 lb of chocolate on the bill, but I told the guy at the LHBS 1/2 for whatever reason. I think I was just too excited. The color is slated to be quite a bit darker than it should be, but otherwise, the bitterness level is at the low end of the threshold. It is UK chocolate that was used. The wort smelled pretty sweet, so hopefully it should be alright. I did split the DME in the boil. Dissolved the first lb at the beginning, and then the second lb at flameout. I'll keep this in mind though for the next time, depending on how this batch turns out.

philm00x - I've done the same thing in the past with my nut brown ale. Added too much choc. malt. It definitely was darker, more like a porter, but the maltiness was awesome, and to date has been my most complimented beer by friends and critics. Good luck with it. It sounds awesome.

Thanks hilkertj. Got a LOT of action in the LBK that bubbles were coming out from under the lid where the slits are. Loosened the lid a very slight quarter turn to let some of the pressure escape. Getting really excited now!

This is how we learn, philm00x. You'll have a drinkable brown ale, but maybe a little strong, as Mashani noted. But the good thing is, you can always make another batch and modify the grain bill a little and see if that suits you better.

FWIW, I've been working on a brown ale recipe for a couple of years, off and on, and I still don't have it just the way I want it. Dang! Gonna have to brew another batch! :stout:

Well after all the action bubbling out from under the lid, things have calmed down in the LBK, and there is a LOT of trub! At least twice as thick a layer of trub as there was in either of my Mr. Beer HME batches.

Did you siphon the wort off of a cold break from your pot, or did you just pour the wort into the LBK as you would with HME?

If you just poured it, then you probably got a lot of the solids left over from the grain steep in there, which is now in your trub.

It's not a biggie, but if you want to avoid that you have to leave as much of that stuff behind in the pot as you can.

Been about a week in the keg and snuck a tiny sample in a shot glass to see how it was doing. OMG its gonna be awesome!

FG came in at 1.015 giving me about 4.6% ABV. I'm going to cold crash for a couple days and bottle.

Been in bottles for a week and a half. Got my labels for them in the mail. Really anxious to give this one a taste.

1547_10152405665715022_748503266_n.jpg

268589_10152405665105022_674300585_n.jpg

www.myownlabels.com

there's a menu for all kinds of labels on the left side of the site. just click on beer labels, and have fun designing! they ship pretty quick too, at least here in the States. not sure how fast it goes to Canada.

5 quarts. Since I wasn't mashing and just steeping, I just poured water to get a decent level in the pot. When the grains finished steeping, I poured in the first pound of DME and started the hop boil. Added the last pound nearing the end of the boil. Let the wort chill for a bit, then poured half a gallon of refrigerated water into the LBK, poured in the wort, then topped off the LBK to the 8.5 qt line.

rave808: Yes, I chilled the wort by making an ice bath in my kitchen sink. The beer came out great, and has tasted better and better with age! I've still got 5 or so bottles left so I put one in the fridge after I drink one, and it's been about 1 a week.

frogmeat69: Thanks! I'm honored :)

With the fall approaching, I decided I'm going to put this beer on the brew queue. Only I'm converting it to an all-grain recipe, and also making a few tweaks to it. Initially I was going to use British 2-row, but then I thought to use Maris Otter instead, to lend some biscuity flavor to the malt. Also, going to use 40L crystal instead of 10L and a tiny bit of honey malt for a little complexity. Hopefully this will still be a rich and malty brew that will go well with some stews or chili to warm up with.

Recipe: Chocolate Brown Ale 2.0
Brewer: Mr. Rufus Brewing Co.
Asst Brewer:
Style: Northern English Brown Ale
TYPE: All Grain
Taste: (30.0)

Recipe Specifications
--------------------------
Boil Size: 2.56 gal
Post Boil Volume: 2.34 gal
Batch Size (fermenter): 2.25 gal
Bottling Volume: 2.00 gal
Estimated OG: 1.049 SG
Estimated Color: 22.3 SRM
Estimated IBU: 21.5 IBUs
Brewhouse Efficiency: 72.00 %
Est Mash Efficiency: 72.0 %
Boil Time: 60 Minutes

Ingredients:
------------
Amt Name Type # %/IBU
3 lbs 6.0 oz Pale Malt, Maris Otter (3.0 SRM) Grain 1 81.8 %
6.0 oz Caramel/Crystal Malt - 40L (40.0 SRM) Grain 2 9.1 %
4.0 oz Chocolate Malt (350.0 SRM) Grain 3 6.1 %
2.0 oz Honey Malt (25.0 SRM) Grain 4 3.0 %
0.25 oz Challenger [6.30 %] - Boil 60.0 min Hop 5 14.1 IBUs
0.50 oz Goldings, East Kent [4.50 %] - Boil 10.0 Hop 6 7.3 IBUs
1.0 pkg Nottingham (Danstar #-) [23.66 ml] Yeast 7 -

Mash Schedule: Single Infusion, Light Body, Batch Sparge
Total Grain Weight: 4 lbs 2.0 oz
----------------------------
Name Description Step Temperature Step Time
Mash In Add 6.19 qt of water at 159.5 F 150.0 F 60 min

I'm an all grain rookie myself so far, but your recipe looks mighty tastey to me!

That looks tasty. And the honey malt for the hint of complexity seems like a good choice. Hope it turns out well!