Mr.Beer Community
Sign in to follow this  
Screwy Brewer

EdgeStar Deluxe Mini Kegerator & Draft Beer

I guess I was good this year, SWMBO decided to get me the EdgeStar Deluxe Mini Kegerator & Draft Beer Dispenser as a present. I was wondering if anyone has had any experience with this setup before? I definitely won't be putting any Heineken 5 liter Draught kegs in it anytime soon, but it could be pretty cool for serving small parties with homebrew.

They sell a EdgeStar Tap Conversion Kit for Other 5-Liter Mini Kegs that I think allows you to fill the min-keg and party-kegs up with homebrew and server them too, which would be nice.

Anyhow, does anyone have any information at all about using this Mini Kegerator, if so please let me know so I can either return it for a refund or order the conversion kit and some extra mini-kegs.

I didn't know those existed! That's awesome! Would be great to serve up some homebrew in a mini keg.

Guest System Admin

Well done Screwy. Must have been doing a lot right this year :cheers: That thing is pretty cool.

I've heard mixed reviews, but that conversion system and a 5 liter mini keg ($15.99 on Midwest) will get the job done. I've read problems with co2 leaking over time, and getting the carb level right can be tricky.

I used to own the Krups version of this mini kegorator, and it does not have a conversion package. Proved to be useless for anything other than the Heinekin or Newcastle draught kegs. Your version will work with the conversion kit, but its up to you to decide if its worth it to have 5L kegs on tap. Personally, I think the money would be better spent on another 2.5 gal corny keg since you already have the accessories.

But hey, as far as the "cool factor" goes, that mini kegeraor does look pretty sweet. I know my wife wouldn't mind if I put something like that on "display" in the house. My "ugly" bottles and kegs have to stay out of site :party:

So if that's a factor, it's a no brainier, get some mini kegs and fire that sucker up in the living room!

I've researched the heck out of these mini-kegging systems before taking the plunge and getting a corny system. The issues were high cost of the "kegerator" and the conversion kit that must be purchased to use non-Heini kegs, and the fact that mini-kegs only last about 5 uses before needing to be replaced.

Screwy - I know you already have a proper kegging system; so what about getting some Newcastle mini-kegs to stock your new toy and offer a choice of commercial beer to guests afraid of homebrew?

"BradyFumbled" post=304887 said:

But hey, as far as the "cool factor" goes, that mini kegeraor does look pretty sweet. I know my wife wouldn't mind if I put something like that on "display" in the house. My "ugly" bottles and kegs have to stay out of site :party:

So if that's a factor, it's a no brainier, get some mini kegs and fire that sucker up in the living room!

BradyFumbled exactly! My wife bought it 'for me' because it lwill look good on the counter top during parties, I kind of agree with her there too. It's powered by both ac and dc current so taking it on road and powering it up from an auto battery is another nice feature too.

Of course there's the brewer challenge aspect of it all to consider, an opportnity to spend some quality beer time learning how to prime the mini-kegs to get the right carbonation. And of course there's the warm feeling of knowing that SWMBO made yet another great gift choice we'll both enjoy.

Yep, today I'll be opening the box, reading through the instructions and possibly placing an order for 2 mini-kegs, bungs and the conversion kit, thanks for the feedback.

It does look good... Looks like it would pass the SWMBO standards in our household kitchen as well.

"russki" post=304908 said:

I've researched the heck out of these mini-kegging systems before taking the plunge and getting a corny system. The issues were high cost of the "kegerator" and the conversion kit that must be purchased to use non-Heini kegs, and the fact that mini-kegs only last about 5 uses before needing to be replaced.

Screwy - I know you already have a proper kegging system; so what about getting some Newcastle mini-kegs to stock your new toy and offer a choice of commercial beer to guests afraid of homebrew?

russki that's a great option too, to be able to use Newcastle as a fallback plan and another great reason to keep this gift. But you're the first to mention the mini-kegs only lasting 5 uses, that could be a deal killer in itself since they cost $17-$22 a pop.

I was wondering if anyone has actually used the mini-kegs to carbonate and serve their own homebrew using this Mini Kegerator & Draft Beer Dispenser. It would be easier for me to get how these parts fit together if the advertizing included a picture of the unit with pouring a homebrew using the conversion kit and mini-keg.

"hilkertj" post=304923 said:

Screwy - I'm a fan of the Newcastle over the Heineken. These kegs are good for up to a month. I've never had a CO2 issue with my Newcastle mini kegs.

hilkertj your picture shows another type of tap so I guess the Newcastle and the Heineken kegs are both 'pressurized' at the brewery using the DraughtKegTM carbonator pressure technology which allows the beer to be dispensed without the need of an extra Co2 source which is a cool idea.

For us homebrewers the "EdgeStar Deluxe Mini Kegerator & Draft Beer Dispenser can easily be modified to tap and serve any (non-Heineken) standard size 5-liter keg using the optional CO2 accessory kit". I guess I'm still curious as to how using all that conversion kit hardware allows the mini-kegs to fit inside the dispenser.

"Screwy Brewer" post=304931 said:

"hilkertj" post=304923 said:

Screwy - I'm a fan of the Newcastle over the Heineken. These kegs are good for up to a month. I've never had a CO2 issue with my Newcastle mini kegs.

hilkertj your picture shows another type of tap so I guess the Newcastle and the Heineken kegs are both 'pressurized' at the brewery using the DraughtKegTM carbonator pressure technology which allows the beer to be dispensed without the need of an extra Co2 source...

Screwy - you are correct. The come pressurized. Additionally, the tap that you see is not hard fixed, but for the folks like me who don't have the dispenser, such as your new one. The opening is designed for your system and the "Beertender" system too.

I actually sit the mini kegs in my new keg fridge, next to my corny. It's nice to have both.

"Screwy Brewer" post=304924 said:

"russki" post=304908 said:

russki that's a great option too, to be able to use Newcastle as a fallback plan and another great reason to keep this gift. But you're the first to mention the mini-kegs only lasting 5 uses, that could be a deal killer in itself since they cost $17-$22 a pop.

I was wondering if anyone has actually used the mini-kegs to carbonate and serve their own homebrew using this Mini Kegerator & Draft Beer Dispenser. It would be easier for me to get how these parts fit together if the advertizing included a picture of the unit with pouring a homebrew using the conversion kit and mini-keg.

Some say that they need to be replaced, and some say they don't - you may have to try and see. Here's a nice thread on HomebrewTalk about mini-kegs.

Ok, I pulled the trigger and ordered the Tap Conversion Kit, a couple of min-kegs and some plastic bungs. So I guess half of my next 5 gallon brew will go into the new mini-kegs and the other half into my 2.5 gallon corny keg or bottles. Either way I have have a few new toys to play with on Christmas vacation and we all know there's nothing wrong with that.

So far I've plugged the unit in and it's very quite and the plate got really cold in about 5 minutes or so. I mixed up a small cup of One-Step and used the squeeze bottle and attachment provided to flush out the beer line before using and then flush it out again with clean water. Later today I'll try to load the NewCastle brown Ale keg in it and hopefully have a cold glass of beer with lunch.

This was incredibly easy to hook up. Just throw away the tap that comes with the NewCastle keg and pop in the adapter that ships with the EdgeStar Deluxe Mini Kegerator & Draft Beer Dispenser and pour yourself a perfectly carbonated, and pretty good tasting, draft beer. I left the NewCastle mini-keg in the refrigerator overnight and then popped it into the dispenser this afternoon and poured myself a small sample.

Of course the real fun begins once the conversion kit and mini-kegs arrive and I fill them with homebrew. But in a pinch and on short notice this mini-keg dispenser is a pretty cool thing to have on hand.

"Screwy Brewer" post=305356 said:

This was incredibly easy to hook up. Just throw away the tap that comes with the NewCastle keg and pop in the adapter that ships with the EdgeStar Deluxe Mini Kegerator & Draft Beer Dispenser and pour yourself a perfectly carbonated, and pretty good tasting, draft beer. I left the NewCastle mini-keg in the refrigerator overnight and then popped it into the dispenser this afternoon and poured myself a small sample.

Of course the real fun begins once the conversion kit and mini-kegs arrive and I fill them with homebrew. But in a pinch and on short notice this mini-keg dispenser is a pretty cool thing to have on hand.

Looks like I know what my next present to myself will be - I did have some leftover Hanukkah money.

Do they only make mini-kegs in Heineken or Newcastle Brown Ale?

"calledthestig" post=305364 said:

look at the web site, you can get empty mini kegs for the thing. just get the adapters for them and i think you should be golden :cheers:

"calledthestig" post=305364 said:

"Screwy Brewer" post=305356 said:

Looks like I know what my next present to myself will be - I did have some leftover Hanukkah money.

calledthestig yes, currently there are only two brewers shipping their beer using the newly patented DarughKeg technology which allows Co2 pressure inside the keg to pour your beer. They've somehow learned how to build the Co2 regulator into the keg so you get perfect pours from first glass to last. These kegs come with their own inexpensive taps that you just throw away, then you just snap the Mini Kegerator's tap on and go.

The conversion kit comes with a Co2 regulator and an injector that allows you to serve your own beer, wine, soda, etc. from a standard 5 liter mini-keg. I've only seen two different min-kegs out there ranging from $17-$22 with the more expensive mini-keg being made in Germany and imported to the US. This little Mini Kegerator was an instant hit and a real conversion starter with all the beer drinking quests last night. The NewCastle Brown Ale tasted great and cost $20.99 at my local Canal's store but it didn't last very long at all, but I had two other beers of my own on tap too. We drank a lot of beer last night.

According to the Beer Tap Systems website the following beers are now being packaged in 5 liter mini-kegs using the newly patented DraughtKeg technology. I can say I did enjoy the taste of the Newcastle Brown Ale, which was the first beer I tried, as did many of the guests at my last party. So far I've only seen Heineken and Newcastle but now I'll be on the prowl for the other beers too, which may require using the Co2 conversion kit.

Having the optional mini-keg and Co2 gear gives me another reason to drive over to a pub and have a mini-keg filled, fresh from a Firkin of the day's newly arrived craft beer on tap. If 1.25 gallons of beer seems like a lot the min-kegs will keep the beer fresh and ready to pour for a month. which is a relatively long time in beer years.

Here is a list of some of the more well known 5 liter keg brands:

Heineken
Heineken Premium Light
Newcastle Brown Ale
Coors Light
DAB Original Lager
Spaten Premium Lager 5 Liter
Warsteiner Premium
Paulaner Hefe-weizen
Bitburger
Bell’s Two-Hearted Ale mini-kegs
Molson Canadian
George Killians
Bell’s Oberon

Only the Heineken, Heineken Light, and New Castle are packaged in the DraughtKeg (which has been out for at least a few years). Heineken actually holds a patent on the technology, sadly. These things are nifty and super easy to use, but the co2 is on the inside, and its lined with a plastic "bladder" and very very difficult to repurpose for home brew.

The other beers listed are sold in "normal" 5 liter kegs, typically designed to be placed in a fridge and "gravity fed" into your glass through a spout in the bottom, or charged and dispensed with an exterior co2 setup. These are going to be similar to the "blank" kegs you can order from homebrew supply sites. These will require the adapter to be used with the dispensing machine, but they are also much better candidates for "repurposing" for homebrew.

So to the general beer-drinking public, the DraughtKeg technology is much "cooler." But for us beer-nerds, the "normal" 5-liter kegs offer better tasting brands of beer and are easier to re-fill with even better homebrew. Just requires the fancy (and not cheap) adaptor to use with your machine. Keep us posted, intrigued to see pics of some homebrew pouring out of this thing!

"Screwy Brewer" post=304771 said:

I guess I was good this year, SWMBO decided to get me the EdgeStar Deluxe Mini Kegerator & Draft Beer Dispenser as a present. I was wondering if anyone has had any experience with this setup before? I definitely won't be putting any Heineken 5 liter Draught kegs in it anytime soon, but it could be pretty cool for serving small parties with homebrew.

They sell a EdgeStar Tap Conversion Kit for Other 5-Liter Mini Kegs that I think allows you to fill the min-keg and party-kegs up with homebrew and server them too, which would be nice.

Anyhow, does anyone have any information at all about using this Mini Kegerator, if so please let me know so I can either return it for a refund or order the conversion kit and some extra mini-kegs.

Screwy - I saw this setup a couple weeks ago while browsing around for kegging setups and thought it looked pretty cool. However, it didn't look like it was advertised for homebrewers so I quickly dismissed it and moved on in my search. Now, if there is a way for us to successfully use standard 5L kegs with the conversion kit, then this might not be such a bad deal. It certainly would have the SWMBO approval in my house for sure! And the price tag would meet my approval (~$200 for the set up + conversion kit + a 5L keg or two). I, as well as many others on here, are eager to hear of your experiences with this. Keep us posted!!! :-)

Tomorrow I plan to fill up both new 5 liter mini-kegs with my Bottoms Up Brown Ale and naturally carbonating them using 1.5 tablespoons of pure cane sugar. From the research I've found online it seems that filling the kegs to within an inch of the keg top and adding this amount of pure cane sugar should produce about 2 volumes of Co2. The remaining beer will go into my 2.5 gallon corny keg for use in my refrigerator tap.

The Co2 conversion kit looks pretty easy to use and well made for the price it even comes with a small regulator and a psi gauge to help accurately adjust the serving pressure. It's funny how a beer dispenser that looks like an espresso maker can find a home on the kitchen counter where a corny keg setup wouldn't be allowed.

"BradyFumbled" post=304887 said:

My "ugly" bottles and kegs have to stay out of site :party:

Huh? Ugly? :( I just don't get that.

Maybe if they're empty...

Today I kegged my first two 5 liter mini-kegs with some freshly fermented Bottoms Up Brown Ale. The whole learning process and filling a 2.5 gallon corny keg for force carbonating took less than two hours start to finish. I wouldn't use StarSan the next time because it foams way too much to see the beer level in the mini-keg through that small hole in the top especially when the filler tube is in there too.

A found out that someone had actually used a small digital scale, that can read between 7-15 pounds accurately, to determine the mini-keg and beer should weigh in at 10 pounds when the beer is an inch below the top of the mini-keg. I kind of laughed about that idea but having filled my first mini-kegs that's the way I plan on doing it next time too. Either that or maybe use OneStep for a ten minute soak instead of using StarSan to sanitize the mini-kegs, this should eliminate the foaming problem too.

[img size=250]http://2.bp.blogspot.com/-CgdkuFmDgSA/UNYnnMST1vI/AAAAAAAAEfM/dTbImgfZUJA/s1600/brnale-mini3.jpg
Rubber Plug Inserted Once Sugar And Beer Were Added

In about two weeks carbonating at room temperature I'll move the mini-kegs into the refrigerator for some cold conditioning at 40F before tapping them with my mini-keg draft beer dispenser. If my first time calculations, and what I've researched on other homebrew sites is correct, I should have between 1.8 - 2.0 volumes of Co2 which should be just about perfect for this dispenser.

"Screwy Brewer" post=307830 said:

Today I kegged my first two 5 liter mini-kegs with some freshly fermented Bottoms Up Brown Ale. The whole learning process and filling a 2.5 gallon corny keg for force carbonating took less than two hours start to finish. I wouldn't use StarSan the next time because it foams way too much to see the beer level in the mini-keg through that small hole in the top especially when the filler tube is in there too.

A found out that someone had actually used a small digital scale, that can read between 7-15 pounds accurately, to determine the mini-keg and beer should weigh in at 10 pounds when the beer is an inch below the top of the mini-keg. I kind of laughed about that idea but having filled my first mini-kegs that's the way I plan on doing it next time too. Either that or maybe use OneStep for a ten minute soak instead of using StarSan to sanitize the mini-kegs, this should eliminate the foaming problem too.

[img size=250]http://2.bp.blogspot.com/-CgdkuFmDgSA/UNYnnMST1vI/AAAAAAAAEfM/dTbImgfZUJA/s1600/brnale-mini3.jpg
Rubber Plug Inserted Once Sugar And Beer Were Added

In about two weeks carbonating at room temperature I'll move the mini-kegs into the refrigerator for some cold conditioning at 40F before tapping them with my mini-keg draft beer dispenser. If my first time calculations, and what I've researched on other homebrew sites is correct, I should have between 1.8 - 2.0 volumes of Co2 which should be just about perfect for this dispenser.

Have you tried this saniclean stuff? I've been curious about it, as it has no foam, but it is no rinse?

"losman26" post=307885 said:

Have you tried this saniclean stuff? I've been curious about it, as it has no foam, but it is no rinse?

losman26 thanks for the tip, I'll be stopping by Princeton Homebrew and adding this to my list, sounds like it's StarSan without all the foaming. SaniClean

"Screwy Brewer" post=307895 said:

losman26 thanks for the tip, I'll be stopping by Princeton Homebrew and adding this to my list, sounds like it's StarSan without all the foaming. SaniClean

I don't think it works as fast as StarSan, has a contact time of 2-3 minutes if I remember correctly.

"alb" post=307902 said:

"Screwy Brewer" post=307895 said:

I don't think it works as fast as StarSan, has a contact time of 2-3 minutes if I remember correctly.

An acid rinse, much like Star San, but low-foaming — this makes it great for CIP or pump applications as well as part soaking. Saniclean does not require a rinse when used at or below 200 ppm. Great for spray bottles, circulation sanitizing with a pump, or other applications where lots of foam is undesirable. Can also be used for soaking use 2 oz Saniclean per 4 gallons of water, allow hand-washed parts to soak for 5 minutes, then rinse with potable water.

I just need to see the mixing rates to get me close to or a little below of 200 ppm because I don't believe in sanitizing and then only rinsing again with tap water. I can see this working better in my corny kegs as well as my mini-kegs than StarSan too. I don't fear the foam I just don't prefer to have too much of it in contact with my beer.

It's been about 5 days naturally carbonating at 70F and there aren't any leaks and the mini-kegs don't look puffed up at all so I guess 4 teaspoons of pure can e sugar is all that's needed. The real test is in about three weeks when I chill, tap and serve my own homebrew for the very first time in this really cool little kegerator.

Last night I finally got to use my Mini Kegerator to tap a mini-keg of my Bottoms Up Brown Ale using the Co2 conversion kit, it was easier than the directions would lead you to believe too. Once you become familiar with the parts it's just a matter of snapping them together, they can only go one way, and inserting the piercing tube into the keg's plastic bung hole. I know that just sounds wrong but these are the terminologies used in the instructions I couldn't make that up.

[img size=300]https://lh6.googleusercontent.com/-RHbZG6RxDK8/UPqcoKJbw9I/AAAAAAAAFIE/P06CiYLndJo/s720/edgestar.jpg
Bottoms Up Brown Ale In EdgeStar Deluxe Mini Kegerator

The entire process took less than 10 minutes, including unpacking the kegerator, plugging it in and tapping a cold mini-keg I had cold crashing in the refrigerator for about a week. The mini-kegs measure only 10 inches high and they easily fit inside a refrigerator for storing before using them. The mini-kegs hold 5 liters of any beer you brew and can be used with priming sugar for naturally carbonating your favorite home brewed beers.

I poured my first glass from the unit yesterday into a clean tulip glass and got quite a lot of foam in my DogFish Head Palo Santo recipe brown ale clone. The foam issue was easily resolved and after about four pours the foaming had been reduced to normal levels. The two mini-kegs I bough cost about $22.00 apiece and they don't have a built in relief valve which is used to release the excess pressure built up from naturally carbonating the beer, prior to serving the beer.

When naturally carbonating the mini-kegs I added 4 teaspoons of pure cane sugar, or half the amount I would have used for 12 or 22 ounce bottles, to each 5 liter min-keg to target 2.5 volumes of Co2 and the carbonation level in the beer itself was perfect. When I get to tap my next mini-keg I'll use the piercing tube to release all of the built up Co2 pressure before hooking it up and attempting to pour a beer. I give this unit two beers up, it's a nice compact quiet unit that is very cool to look at and easy to setup and use.

"Screwy Brewer" post=322540 said:

.... I give this unit two beers up, it's a nice compact quiet unit that is very cool to look at and easy to setup and use.

Is that on a 2, 5 or 10 "beers up" scale? LOL

I think i want one of these. I understand that there may be better options on a Bang for Buck scale, but looks wise this is a winner and a good compromise with the SWMBO.

On thing though, I am a little concerned about about temperature. You were saying that you have to pre-chill the keg. Once the mini-keg is pre-chilled does the unit have any issues keeping the beer cold?

Sam

"KokomoSam" post=322645 said:

"Screwy Brewer" post=322540 said:

.... I give this unit two beers up, it's a nice compact quiet unit that is very cool to look at and easy to setup and use.

Is that on a 2, 5 or 10 "beers up" scale? LOL

I think i want one of these. I understand that there may be better options on a Bang for Buck scale, but looks wise this is a winner and a good compromise with the SWMBO.

On thing though, I am a little concerned about about temperature. You were saying that you have to pre-chill the keg. Once the mini-keg is pre-chilled does the unit have any issues keeping the beer cold?

Sam

The unit has no problem maintaining the colder temperatures but it's not designed to cool room temperature beer down to 38F, they recommend putting the kegs in the refrigerator for that. Since I cold crash my beers before bottling or kegging anyway this isn't an issue.

Thursday night I get to tap the other mini-keg of my Bottoms Up Brown Ale, as luck would have it I got two glasses poured before the keg kicked tonight. Changing out the keg was pretty easy just had to disconnect the gas and beer quick connects, wet the top of the rubber bung, unlock the catches and gently pull up on the piercing tube assembly. I rinsed the mini-keg out really good before filling it with OxiClean FREE and warm water which I'll let soak for a day or two.

This is pretty cool Screwy!

I've seen these on sale recently and I am strongly considering it thanks to this post. I had not planned, at all, to get into kegging my beer but this neat little counter-top contraption is just the thing to get me interested.

I do have a birthday coming up in March...wonder how to give the SWMBO hints?

Just thought I'd post an update on my progress using the EdgeStar mini-kegs. This morning I tapped another keg of my Bottoms Up Brown Ale. This time to avoid the foaming issues I had after tapping the first keg I put the keg in the unit last night and set the temperature to 38F. Today after tapping the keg I carefully pulled out the piercing tube until I heard a very loud gush of Co2 pressure leaving the keg.

Since the kegs are naturally carbonated and there is no relief valve built into the mini-kegs you have to relieve all the carbonating pressure manually to prevent foaming pours. It'll be several hours before I do a test pour, it's early and I'm still sipping coffee, but they should be a whole lot better than my first try.

"Scottbrew" post=325557 said:

Technical question. Can the bungs be reused or do you need a new one for each keg?

They can be reused no problem I just rinsed mine off and stored it away. The bung has two parts a soft pliable outer bung and a smaller plastic insert piece that gets pushed into the keg when you tap it. The piercing tube basically pushes the insert out of the bung and is fits inside the bung tight enough to prevent the Co2 from leaking out.

"Screwy Brewer" post=325534 said:

Just thought I'd post an update on my progress using the EdgeStar mini-kegs. This morning I tapped another keg of my Bottoms Up Brown Ale. This time to avoid the foaming issues I had after tapping the first keg I put the keg in the unit last night and set the temperature to 38F. Today after tapping the keg I carefully pulled out the piercing tube until I heard a very loud gush of Co2 pressure leaving the keg.

Since the kegs are naturally carbonated and there is no relief valve built into the mini-kegs you have to relieve all the carbonating pressure manually to prevent foaming pours. It'll be several hours before I do a test pour, it's early and I'm still sipping coffee, but they should be a whole lot better than my first try.

So hows it working out. May have to buy one. They are 50% off right now on Amazon.

Screwy...have you considered trying to reuse the Newcastle keg? I've read some stories online about people drilling a 1" hole in the top of them and filling with primed homebrew, then stopping the hole with a mini-keg relief bung. They then just use the existing tap system to pour the beer, but I wonder if you could use it with the kegerator still...I don't see why not.

This would save buying the mini-kegs separately, or at least you would get some free beer with them as you buy them!

"manosteel9423" post=327408 said:

Screwy...have you considered trying to reuse the Newcastle keg? I've read some stories online about people drilling a 1" hole in the top of them and filling with primed homebrew, then stopping the hole with a mini-keg relief bung. They then just use the existing tap system to pour the beer, but I wonder if you could use it with the kegerator still...I don't see why not.

This would save buying the mini-kegs separately, or at least you would get some free beer with them as you buy them!

The NewCastle kegs are really, really thin so I just tossed it out. It cost about $22.00 at the liquor store but thanks for the tip I hadn't thought about doing that before you mentioned it.

The second pour went a lot better I pulled the piercing tube out right after inserting it this time to release the natural carbonating pressure and this keg poured a lot better than the first. Next time I will use 3 tablespoons of pure cane sugar instead of 4 to prime the mini-kegs, I think cutting back on the priming sugar will make the priming pressure match the pouring pressure.

Kind of an old thread but it's relative to me now! Screwy, have you had a better time with the carbonation levels, and the foaming? I have been looking around and saw this and it looks very enticing to me. I appreciate all the info you have put on this! And for those who were considering getting this system, does anyone else have it now, and have any other info on it? :cheers:

I still plan to use 3 tablespoons of pure cane sugar in my next mini-keg attempt, although SWMBO seems to think it should only be used on holidays, but this unit has such a wow factor I plan on using anytime of year. I've been using 12 ounce, 22 ounce bombers and my corny kegs more lately but the dispenser is still an elegant option for serving guests draft beer right from the tap.

I found this thread after getting an EdgeStar Kegerator for Christmas and tried to carbonate a batch in one of the kegs I purchased. The kegs look to be the same that Screwy got - I think they were ~$15 each through my local homebrew supply. I tried carbonating using the simple plastic bung it came with but I have a feeling it leaked out since after just under two weeks, there's virtually no carbonation. I'm wondering if I can try the next batch (I'm assuming there's no hope with this one now that I've added sugar and cold crashed it) with the EdgeStar tap hooked up to it? Or should I search out a better fitting rubber bung to seal it up?

Every once in a while I'll setup the Mini Kegerator and enjoy some draft beer at home without having to do anything more than buy a 5 liter keg at the local liquor store.

The Co2 kit I bought and the mini kegs came with the soft rubber bungs and the harder plugs that are used to seal the hole in the bung. As long as you inserted the harder plug with it's wider end pointing toward the bottom of the keg it shouldn't leak Co2.

The way it works is simple the soft rubber bung fits firmly inside the hole in the top of the mini keg. It has a groove around the outside edge that seals around the inside edge of the hole. Before fitting the soft rubber bung to the keg you push the smaller plug into the bung. The force of the Co2 gas as the beer carbonates pushes the small plug tight against the bung making an airtight seal.

If you followed the instructions and there's still no carbonation after 2 weeks at room temperature, I can't imagine how the Co2 leaked past the plugged bung. To serve a properly carbonated keg of beer using the Beer Dispenser Tap Conversion Kit you push the pickup tube into the bung hard enough to force the small plug out of the bung, doing that maintains the seal as you pour your draft beer.