Mr.Beer Community
Sign in to follow this  
maverick

No Airlock Activity?

Im new to brewing and just made my 1st batch of lager Friday night, I used a dry yeast. Im told to put my fermenter in an area 60-65 degrees for 1-3 days before moving to my refrigerator (48-60 degrees). I have the layer of krausen, but Im worried cause I havent seen any activity in the airlock. It has lots of small bubbles clinging to the side, but I havent seen the center move or "burp". Is my wort ok? I was going to move to refrigerator tonight, should I? Or should I wait a while? Thanks in advance!

If you have a layer of krausen, you are definitely fermenting, and are generating enough CO2 to see activity in your airlock. The gas is simply getting out elsewhere. What sort of fermentor are you using? Pail lids to not always seal well. RDWHAHB.

It is a plastic fermenter, but the lid just rests on top, I weighted it down to help seal since it doesnt snap down, Ive checked the gasket around the airlock also....will it still be ok? Or should I transfer to the carboy? If so do I transfer the krausen too? Or do I stir it in 1st? Or just trasfer the liquid between?

Leave it be. If the lid has no lip on it, cover it with foil enough to create one. Bugs can't fight gravity without help from drafts; the main thing is to make sure that nothing can work it's way in from the sides. If something would have to go up from below to get in, you should be fine (same principle as LBK lid). Your CO2 is venting from the lid, so you'll never see much if any airlock activity since the gas finds the easiest way out, and airlocks create pressure (I know good brewers who don't fill their airlock with liquid for this very reason, even that bit of back pressure can affect the fermentation a bit).

Are you doing a true lager, with lager yeast? If not, ale yeast may be sleeping at those temps. Move back to 65*ish and wake them babies up!!

Just another note on the subject. An unsealed lid can let in O2 once the CO2 stops venting. Because of that, it can be a good idea to transfer to a secondary once your krausen has mostly fallen. Since this is a lager, you are going to want to do that anyway. By racking it before the krausen activity has completely stopped, you ensure that there is enough yeast activity going on to fill your carboy's head space with CO2. I usually rack into a carboy, and then allow the temp to rise for the diacetyl rest. This is another way to make sure that you purge any O2 from the carboy, since CO2 will come out of solution as the newly fermented beer warms.

Transferred to the carboy, I have airlock activity again....THANKS! Im going to leave for a week then move to refrigerator to lager between 36-45 degrees for 12 weeks or so