Mr.Beer Community
Sign in to follow this  
charlieb

How Much Batch Priming Sugar?

OK I will be doing my first batch priming.

I have a wand and will be using an extra LBK I have purchased just for this.

My question is how much priming sugar to use? I am not talking about sugar cane. I picked up some priming sugar at my LHBS.

I did a search but was having a hard timing finding anything.

Any help would be great

"charlieb" post=306048 said:

OK I will be doing my first batch priming.

I have a wand and will be using an extra LBK I have purchased just for this.

My question is how much priming sugar to use? I am not talking about sugar cane. I picked up some priming sugar at my LHBS.

I did a search but was having a hard timing finding anything.

Any help would be great

Different styles call for different priming amounts, if your interested in carbing to style. What are you brewing?

Edit: Generally speaking, 2 ounces should work well for a 2.13 gallon batch (2.5 CO2 volume).

http://www.thescrewybrewer.com/p/brewing-tools-formulas.html

Scroll down about 1/4 and you'll see the "Bottle Priming Calculator". The first option under "Priming Ingredient" should be Corn Sugar, which is most likely what your "Priming Sugar" is. Below this calculator is a list of styles and their carb ranges. Plug the other numbers in, and Bob's your uncle.

And bookmark this man's website. He knows his stuff, and is making his knowledge available to the world at large because he's that kinda guy.

Another question on this.

I have seen various sizes in terms of batches for Mr. Beer.

The keg itself is 2.5 gallons. But I have seen people list it as 2.25 or like Packer stated 2.13.

So when punching in numbers into this calculator I'm wondering what number I should enter if I'm at the 8.5 line on the LBK?

"charlieb" post=306132 said:

The keg itself is 2.5 gallons. But I have seen people list it as 2.25 or like Packer stated 2.13.

So when punching in numbers into this calculator I'm wondering what number I should enter if I'm at the 8.5 line on the LBK?

8.5 x 32 = 2.13 :)

"vitch61" post=306139 said:

I have been using Domino Dots. My beer comes out fine. Is corn sugar supposed to be better?

Well, you're opening up the proverbial can o' worms there, vitch. This is one of those instances where, if you ask five homebrewers this questions, you'll probably get at least ten different answers.

Is corn sugar better than table sugar? (which is what Domino Dots is .. are .. whatever)

My answer is no, but that's just my opinion. I haven't done any research, though, and I suspect that even if I did, I'd still lack hard facts. But my opinion is based on my thinking that the amount of priming sugar used is so small relative to the volume of beer that the overall influence for anything other than carbonation is going to be small, as well.

I used to prime with honey. I did that for, I think, a year, before I gave it up and switched to either table sugar or Booster, depending on the size of the batch. Honey was too expensive, sugar was readily available, and I had bought some extra Booster way back when, so I made the switch. I notice no difference. The only way I can tell which batches were primed with sugar and which with Booster is the size of the batch. I prime five-gallon batches with sugar and LBK batches with Booster. But they are carbed just fine, and there doesn't seem to be an advantage to using one over the other.

Others will tell you different, and that's their take on it. I'm not saying they're wrong, either. Mostly, I guess, I'm saying that I don't find it matters enough to my final product to worry about it.

I agree with FedoraDave - everyone has different opinions and tastes and you're bound to get different answers on this question. Screwy's website does a good job of giving quantitative measurements for different styles and CO2 targets. I've tried these with good success. My experiences have told me, however, that the subtle differences in priming sugar types (corn or cane sugar) and amounts (12 tsp or 11) don't really make much difference in my final product. I still get carbonation that I'm pleased with. I'm now a firm believer in the KISS method....I usually just always go with using 1/4 cup sugar in 3/4 cup water to make my batch priming solution (for lbk-sized batches).

"RickBeer" post=306134 said:

Really dumb question here. But that doesn't equal 2.13 :) What am I missing in this equation?

"charlieb" post=306236 said:

Really dumb question here. But that doesn't equal 2.13 :) What am I missing in this equation?

8.5 /4 = 2.125 or 2.13 gallons. ;)

"charlieb" post=306236 said:

32 ounces in a quart.... divide by 128 ounces in a gallon...

"charlieb" post=306467 said:

He put "X" instead of a division symbol so that threw me off.

8.5 quarts x 32 ounces in a quart = 2.13 gallons. I skipped the "/128" for the number of ounces in a gallon. New math. :laugh:

I'm in a similar boat here as my first batch is due to be bottled in 10 days. I plan on letting it ferment the full 3 weeks and cold crash for 3 days, slightly tilted to help with the trub. I've read enough that although this is my first batch, I'm going to batch prime instead of bottle prime. Currently I have an extra LBK and wand to do this. Should I quickly purchase an auto siphon as well? I'm trying to nail down the proper set up to move the wort from one LBK to the next, and then to the bottles. Any help with the set up and recommendations on what to buy would be wonerdful.

My first batch is the Mexican Aztec as well. Using the calculater suggests that I use 1.81 oz. of sugar or .23 cups. How much water should I boil to mix this sugar with as well? It'll be tough being exact on .23 cups.

I actually use the bottling wand for this right into my extra LBK and it works great. I can't speak for the auto-siphon. But I've had great results with the wand and I seem to get more beer batch priming.