Jump to content
Mr.Beer Community
Sign in to follow this  
Tabasco

MrB Diablo IPA

Recommended Posts

Ok, I asked this before, but forgive me, I don't remember which thread. Has anyone else experienced excellent head action / retention (you know, nice, foamy/rocky head) on the Diablo IPA. That's how mine came out, and I love that. Anyone have any ideas what causes this? I'd love to be able to get that in a BIAB, but these master brewers making HME's are clearly better at some things than the average home brewer.

I have the other three crafts coming up in the pipeline shortly, will be trying them over the holidays, can't wait.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

It was here.
But, I can't say I notice too much of it. I still have a few left thinking they'd magically improve in flavor and aroma and I'll see what happens with it

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

I got a nice head from the Diablo, but I normally always get a nice head/lacing from my brews. I've only used table sugar or priming sugar and have even cut back on the amount used, but have never had problem obtaining/retaining a good foamy/rocky head.

I've also only done extract brews with an occasional steep of specialty grains so I can't speak to head quality of all-grain vs. extract brewing.

Doesn't the glassware also contribute to head quality? I have about 10 glasses that get used ONLY for beer. I thought I read or heard somewhere that if you use a glass that previously contained milk or other dairy product, that it could affect the head. I may have heard this from my dad (who might have just been lying just to make sure I didn't use up all his beer glasses).

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

I have done two batches of Diablo IPA straight up, too. And I agree -- the head retention is the best. I'd have to say this is my favorite of the Craft Series.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

"pghFred" post=306136 said:

I thought I read or heard somewhere that if you use a glass that previously contained milk or other dairy product, that it could affect the head. I may have heard this from my dad (who might have just been lying just to make sure I didn't use up all his beer glasses).

Not sure on that one, though the reason behind it made me laugh.

The Mr. Beer Diablo IPA (per instructions) I have brewed in the past, always had nice head on it with excellent retention. Though even my all grain batches of IPA's, etc. all have good head and retention. Not sure if there is any more or less with the Diablo extract kits.

The Diablo IPA is not a bad Mr. Beer extract kit. I have a lot of friends who had it in the past and thought it was a very good beer. Still have a few in some 1 litre bottles I believe. May have to crack one open tonight.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Have not brewed the new Diablo yet, but the brews I made with bewitched and the winter dark have been quite nice in the lacing and head retention department. Also the beers I've made with the little cans, although I've added at least a pound of extra stuff to all those, not brewed them straight up.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

So the Diablo has good head retention. Would anyone be willing to describe the taste of the beer? I read posts from SO many people about how great the American Devil IPA was but when I brewed it I found it to be kinda mild and not all that great. A decent pale ale maybe but an IPA? No way. Not trying to hijack your thread Tabasco, just wondering if the Diablo was a true IPA or not.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

"Tabasco" post=306130 said:

Ok, I asked this before, but forgive me, I don't remember which thread. Has anyone else experienced excellent head action / retention (you know, nice, foamy/rocky head) on the Diablo IPA. That's how mine came out, and I love that. Anyone have any ideas what causes this? .....


Something to do with proteins (called albumins) forming complex bonds with the bitter-hop compounds. So, in theory, the hoppier the beer, the better the head/head retention. I just bottled my Diablo on 12/14, and I am anxious to try the final result. I added 1/4 lb. Bavarian Wheat in hopes of adding more proteins for improved head/head retention. We'll see.

"Boe1971" post=306357 said:

So the Diablo has good head retention. Would anyone be willing to describe the taste of the beer? I read posts from SO many people about how great the American Devil IPA was but when I brewed it I found it to be kinda mild and not all that great. A decent pale ale maybe but an IPA? No way. Not trying to hijack your thread Tabasco, just wondering if the Diablo was a true IPA or not.


It's pretty close, me thinks. At bottling, my Diablo had a strong "grapefruit" taste. It's much closer to a true IPA than the American Devil, for sure. I rather enjoyed the sample.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Crystal and dextrin malts give you lacing and head retention too. I haven't made the Diablo yet, but I have made Cooper's IPA. They may have nothing in common, but I can say that the Cooper's definitely made liberal use of crystal/caramel malt. Since they are are (presumably) using the same extract manufacturer now...

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

I liked both the ADIPA and this current one. Both struck me more along the lines of a Pale Ale. Hoppy -- yes, but not as hoppy as I though an IPA should taste. Still good. Two thumbs up with Diablo. And I do miss ADIPA, too. The head retention very good in both cases. Both good straight up. IMO.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

I opened another Diablo last night and the head for pretty much normal. Can't complain about that at all.
Still can't taste much, if any flavor, just that bite at the back of the mouth. Just not what I like in an IPA,

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

I agree with Beer Lord. Decent hop bitterness but not much hoppy flavor. I think next time I will add some pale DME, steep some grains and add another ounce of hops on a 30-20-10-0 boil schedule. Should make an awesome IPA.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Got this coming in the mail soon, after reading these post i think I'm going to go with........some caramel 60L and some carafoam steep and centennial hops at 10-0 min. packerduf, let us know how it turns out.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
Guest System Admin

"docpd" post=306683 said:

I agree with Beer Lord. Decent hop bitterness but not much hoppy flavor. I think next time I will add some pale DME, steep some grains and add another ounce of hops on a 30-20-10-0 boil schedule. Should make an awesome IPA.

@Doc:

That seems to be the general reaction among the brewers in here who have made that one.

I've been watching the threads intently as my Diablo is coming up in my brew queue pretty quick.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

"vitch61" post=306443 said:

I liked both the ADIPA and this current one. Both struck me more along the lines of a Pale Ale. Hoppy -- yes, but not as hoppy as I though an IPA should taste. Still good. Two thumbs up with Diablo. And I do miss ADIPA, too. The head retention very good in both cases. Both good straight up. IMO.

I'm not a hop head & normally don't care for ipa's, but I think I'll try this one.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

"pghFred" post=306136 said:

Doesn't the glassware also contribute to head quality? I have about 10 glasses that get used ONLY for beer. I thought I read or heard somewhere that if you use a glass that previously contained milk or other dairy product, that it could affect the head. I may have heard this from my dad (who might have just been lying just to make sure I didn't use up all his beer glasses).

As noted above, it's the proteins and how they bond with the hop oils that create the head and maintain it and contribute to lacing.

Milk is a head-killer, though. Although, if you properly wash a glass that was used for milk consumption, I can't see it retaining anything that would kill a beer head. That's one of the wonders of glass; it's non-reactive, so when you clean it, it's clean.

But in addressing the OP, I often get frustrated when my AG beers lack head and lacing. But I'm coming around to believe that it may be my process and technique that's contributing to this. It may be at the start of my boil. I've only just recently begun the countdown after most of the hot break dissipates. Previously, I started it at the first sign of boiling.

It also may be my cooling process. Sometimes it takes longer than other times, although I've noticed that there seems to be more precipitate lately. I don't know if this is because of a shorter cooling time, or because of my new approach to timing the boil.

But the point is that extracts have already gone through that process, and in a more controlled environment, so an extract brew may already have an advantage in the head department going in. A "head start", as it were. See what I did there?

I've also heard that freshness of ingredients plays a part. So fresher grains and hops may have an advantage over older extracts, but I can't say for sure.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

"Boe1971" post=306357 said:

Not trying to hijack your thread Tabasco, just wondering if the Diablo was a true IPA or not.


I wouldn't say it was real hoppy like Dogfishhead ... no. But it is real tasty, just not the hop city flavor.

I like it alot, though ... a flavorful brew with great rocky head.


Thanks everybody for your insights ....

Whenever I make an AG IPA, I get lousy (usually, not always) head characteristics. I don't know why. I will look into what Dave is saying about process ....

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

"Tabasco" post=306839 said:

"Boe1971" post=306357 said:

Not trying to hijack your thread Tabasco, just wondering if the Diablo was a true IPA or not.


I wouldn't say it was real hoppy like Dogfishhead ... no. But it is real tasty, just not the hop city flavor.

I like it alot, though ... a flavorful brew with great rocky head.


Thanks everybody for your insights ....

Whenever I make an AG IPA, I get lousy (usually, not always) head characteristics. I don't know why. I will look into what Dave is saying about process ....

I didn't go back and read this whole thread, but have you tossed in some Carafoam with your grains? anywhere from 1/2 to 1 pound per 5 gallon batch?

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Create an account or sign in to comment

You need to be a member in order to leave a comment

Create an account

Sign up for a new account in our community. It's easy!

Register a new account

Sign in

Already have an account? Sign in here.

Sign In Now
Sign in to follow this  

×
×
  • Create New...