Mr.Beer Community
Sign in to follow this  
Bull

CLassic American Light

I'm planning on brewing the MB Classic American Light this weekend. My original plan was to brew it straight up, but after brewing the Oktoberfest straight up which came out very good but just a bit on the light beer side for me I've bought a pound of Briess Pilsen Light to add to the brew. Now I'm thinking that adding a pound of malt might make it too malty and wondering if I should add some hops to the boil. I was thinking of adding an ounce of cascade hops to the boil. Is this plausible. If so, how long should I boil the hops? My intention is to keep the taste as close as possible to the original recipe for the time being and my only reason for considering the hops is to maybe offset the additional sweetness that adding a pound of DME might cause. Thanks.
:gulp:

The CLASSIC AMERICAN LIGHT only has 11 IBUs by itself.

The recipe (by itself) should have an OG around 1.030. And an extra Lb of DME would bring it to about a 1.048 OG...give or take depending on your fill line.

Based on that, you're BU:GU ratio is around 0.23 which makes it very malt heavy. If it were me, I'd look at something to bring it up to about 30-ish IBUs. 1/2 oz of Cascades @ 40-to-50 minutes would get you on point.

Mr. Beer help desk may be able to be more specific with the exact choice of hop for this HME. I'd opt for Willamette, but that's just me.

Thanks for the info. After I bought the DME i got to thinking that it might make it malty. I'll take your advise and check with them.

You are dead on, Christ872, however if Bull decided to boil half an ounce of Cascade hops to increase the IBUs, I would suggest only boiling them for about 15 minutes. Of course this will also have a big flavor contribution to the wort (which most would figure as a good thing). This is assuming you will boil the hops in 2 quarts of water before the addition of any malt extract, which will increase the IBUs of the batch by roughly 20 IBUs, for a total IBU of about 31.

I ran this by MB brewing support and they said a 20 minute boil with 1 oz Cacade Hops would be good. Which is what I originally thought, but since i don't have much experience in these matters thought I'd run it past the experts :gulp:

Bull,

This is exactly what I think my next brew is going to be.
I'm going to use 1 pound of DME and an ounce of cascade hops.

Just to clarify, would I bring my water to a boil then add the DME and hops at the same time.
Boil for 20 minutes and then flameout. At which point I would then add the HME?

Is this correct?

Slappy, yes that is the way to do it. In order to get the benefit of a hop boil you must have DME or LME in the wort to facilitate the flavor, bitterness transfer to the wort.

Glad you checked with CMB on this as I have been holding off on brewing this while trying to figure out how to improve the basic refill. I will try this also in the next couple of weeks.

We'll need to compare results at first taste. :gulp:

Mrblase thanks for the reply. One more question though. At the end of the boil would I then add the hopsack to the LBK or throw it away at that point.

Guest System Admin

"Slappy" post=307211 said:

Bull,

This is exactly what I think my next brew is going to be.
I'm going to use 1 pound of DME and an ounce of cascade hops.

Just to clarify, would I bring my water to a boil then add the DME and hops at the same time.
Boil for 20 minutes and then flameout. At which point I would then add the HME?

Is this correct?

I think it would come out nicely if you split your Cascades and boiled .25 oz at 20 min, .25 oz at 7 minutes and then used the remaining .50 oz to dry hop with (put into LBK after forst 7 days of fermentation).

"Slappy" post=307222 said:

Mrblase thanks for the reply. One more question though. At the end of the boil would I then add the hopsack to the LBK or throw it away at that point.

Through it away.

Thanks for posting this ..

I have a can of American Classic Light HME (with my second LBK).. Wasn't to excited for the brew but the price was right..

Like the suggestions thus far, will definitely be trying these ( well atleast one of them)

~worm

thanks for the advice. I think that's what I'll do. I'll let you know in a couple of months how it turns out.

Adding the hops would be a good idea. It'll keep it from being too malty. Depending on what hop effect you want will determine when you add them.

There is a link on these forum somewhere showing hop addition times and their effect on the beer bitterness, flavor and aroma which you should take a look at.

The style of hops you use is a personal preference. High alpha acid hops add quite a bittering effect (the flavor you get in an IPA), the lower alpha acid hops add more flavor and aroma while keeping the grapfruit/piney flavors to a minimum.