Mr.Beer Community
Sign in to follow this  
Joechianti

Another Nutty Idea?

Well, speed chilling a warm bottle of beer in a pitcher of ice sprinkled with salt and a little water worked out pretty good. Now I have another bright idea which I'm thinking of trying out. Maybe someone can shed some insight on this one, or better yet, if someone has already tried it can give a factual account of the results. This is very much related to the speed chilling idea.

I got to thinking how chilling the bottles in fridge for a week or more really solidifies the trub. But just like sometimes you want a beer RIGHT NOW and have nothing cold, sometimes you have no cold bottles or maybe even some that have only been chilling a day or two. In that case, the trub will loosen up pretty quick when pouring, especially if the beer sits on the table while you savor it a little while. Sometimes I drink one down pretty quick, but sometimes I nurse one a long time while I'm absorbed in reading or watching TV or whatever.

Also, I find, like many others, that the flavor and aroma are released with more intensity when the beer warms up just a bit.

So, to take the speed chilling a step further, I figure, if you sit the bottle of ber in a shallow bowl of ice, maybe a half in deep or so, once it's already been chilled overall, then you can let the beer sit there and warm up a little, while at the same time, not having the trub warm up and become more unstable. As a matter of fact, the trub may actually become even more solid while it's sitting in the shallow ice bath than it was when you first pulled it from the fridge after a day or two. On top of that, the beer may slowly warm up a bit to release the flavor and aroma, but thanks to the shallow ice bath, it won't overly warm up.

This seems like a real win-win situation to me. Anyone agree or disagree?

Anytime your drinking a home brew its a win - win. A thought Joe, what if you hit the bottom of the bottle with a blast of co2. Wouldn't that superchill the bottom, solidifying the trub? Are you drinking right from the bottle? My bottles neber get the trub that solid I can do that.

Umm I don't know. I always enjoy reading your posts and am left wondering if you are joking with this post. It can't hurt the beer to keep it on ice. I always pour the whole bottle, less a tiny bit on the bottom, into a pint glass so I wouldn't try your idea. RDWHAHB.

Not drinking from the bottle. Drinking from glass. The half liter bottles are a bit too much for a pint glass, so I just use a 10 oz glass and fill it twice. Seems like I'm getting more beer that way, too, getting 2 glasses of beer out of a bottle instead of just one glass of beer. Just another weird quirk. Feels better to have the beer staying fresher in the sealed bottle than in the glass, even for 5 or 10 minutes, and sometimes I let a glass of beer sit much longer. This post is actually on the level, not joking around. I'm gonna try this out in the near future and see how it works. The fast chill thing proved to be very effective for those times when you need a cold one right away but don't have one. I hope this thing works good too.

Another Nutty Idea? Yes Joe you can come up with them :laugh: I sometimes put a few bottles in the freezer for a fast cool down, but that might take up to an hour. Salt and ice is faster, like making ice cream. I drink alot of my darker beers at room temp anyways so it don't matter much to me how cold they are.

Joe,
Try these sediment catchers. That way you don't even have to worry about the trub much less resolidifying them. :laugh:

Sediment Catcher!

I personally haven't used them, wonder if anyone else on here has?

Interesting idea, Joe.

Here are some other interesting ideas.

1 - Keep an eye on your pipeline and always have a couple of six-packs (at least) in the fridge at all times. Rotate your stock, so you have variety and always know which ones have been in the fridge the longest.

2 - Switch to 12-oz. glass bottles. One bottle; one pour.

3 - Relax

4 - Don't worry

5 - Have a homebrew

Just yankin' yer chain, Joe. Everyone has their different approaches; I have mine, and you have yours. And I'm actually interested whether this idea of yours will work.

Dave, I actually thought the same thing, pretty much. In an ideal situation, it would seem best to plan ahead. Unfortunately, my house is usually the center of the universe known as CHAOS, plus I have a tendency to get highly distracted and absent-minded. These little devices are designed to compensate for the faults that unfortunately occur. I do try to plan ahead, and then I plan for when the plan doesn't happen, as well. LOL.

The sediment catchers are cool, but the price has kept me from trying. $37.50 ++ for 15....OUCH

I know those sediment catchers are WAY pricey. You'd have to buy 2 sets of 15 just to cover a normal MB LBK batch.

Too bad they don't sell them individually at my LHBS, I'd be curious to try one and see how it works.

I'm not quite sure how those sediment catchers work. Are they saying you put one on every bottle while it's carbing and conditioning? Then you keep it on while you're drinking from the bottle, or pouring from the bottle, too?

I think there is a youtube video on that link above.

From my understanding you attach it after bottling, invert it and let it carb.

Then when you are ready to drink you unscrew the section that caught all the trub/sediment and the piece under that that is your new cap.

That must open somehow to allow you to drink from the bottle.

Will have to check the video when I'm not at work.

When I need a quick chilled beer I toss it in the freezer for 20-30 minutes. I usually try to set the bottle on top of an ice tray or other frozen item so the trub in the bottom of the bottle sets up . Works just fine for me

"Boe1971" post=306948 said:

When I need a quick chilled beer I toss it in the freezer for 20-30 minutes. I usually try to set the bottle on top of an ice tray or other frozen item so the trub in the bottom of the bottle sets up . Works just fine for me

That's pretty much what I've been doing so far. Does work good. Now I'm so lazy that if I sit down with the bottle of beer beside me and nurse it for half an hour, I don't want to put it back in fridge between pours to keep the trub cold and dense. That's when the idea of sitting it in a shallow bowl of ice hit me. It's amazing how many ideas are born out of laziness.

"Joechianti" post=306950 said:

"Boe1971" post=306948 said:

That's pretty much what I've been doing so far. Does work good. Now I'm so lazy that if I sit down with the bottle of beer beside me and nurse it for half an hour, I don't want to put it back in fridge between pours to keep the trub cold and dense. That's when the idea of sitting it in a shallow bowl of ice hit me. It's amazing how many ideas are born out of laziness.

I hear ya! I dont have that problem though. I use 12 ounce glass bottles and after I pour it in the glass, they rarely last a half hour :gulp:

"Joechianti" post=306879 said:

Not drinking from the bottle. Drinking from glass. The half liter bottles are a bit too much for a pint glass, so I just use a 10 oz glass and fill it twice. Seems like I'm getting more beer that way, too, getting 2 glasses of beer out of a bottle instead of just one glass of beer. Just another weird quirk. Feels better to have the beer staying fresher in the sealed bottle than in the glass, even for 5 or 10 minutes, and sometimes I let a glass of beer sit much longer. This post is actually on the level, not joking around. I'm gonna try this out in the near future and see how it works. The fast chill thing proved to be very effective for those times when you need a cold one right away but don't have one. I hope this thing works good too.

Ok, I see. I only bottle 12 oz so one pour per glass. It sounds like your plan would work.

"FrozenInTime" post=306958 said:

I agree, ur a little nutty... :banana:

No way I'm gonna argue with the truth. Nutty as charged.

"berryman" post=306881 said:

Another Nutty Idea? Yes Joe you can come up with them :laugh: I sometimes put a few bottles in the freezer for a fast cool down

My first Bottle Bombs have been made this way...

I doubt it will be made my last.

Moral of that story is always to make sure to take them out.

~worm