Mr.Beer Community
Sign in to follow this  
BrowncoatMal

Bourbon Dubbel by Brooklyn Brew Shop? (all grain)

Hi All,

Went down to my local BevMo to do some early deal scouting when I ran across a suspicious looking sack of grain. Turns out it was a 1 gallon (BIAB?) kit for an all grain Dubbel. Complete with yeast, sanitizer ect, for only $4.99!

Anyone every try this out? I've never done a 100% grain brew but I'm excited to try!

Here's a link to the instructions I found...

http://brooklynbrewshop.com/directions/Brooklyn%20Brew%20Shop%20-%20Bourbon%20Dubbel%20Instructions.pdf

You think I should just follow the instructions to the letter? OR add some MrB fix'ins?

I wouldn't know what to add without knowing exactly what's in it. But I'd just brew it as a 1 gallon batch and try it as is.

I'd buy Brooklyn kits for $4.99 if I found them at that price. As many as I could carry out of the store!

The Bourbon Dubbel was the mix that I used, and it was a very good introduction to all-grain brewing. $4.99 is a real bargain, and the price is normally much more. I suggest following Brooklyn's instructions and not adding Mr Beer ingredients, except possibly until you've done it straight first. You could do it as BIAB, but I like their approach of using regular kitchen utinsels. One thing that wasn't clear to me in the instructions was what to do with the liquor that you soak the oak chips in. Do not add it to your wort.

One thing you can do after getting comfortable with their approach to the one gallon size is to brew grains in that size, and use it together with HME or UME as a partial-mash.

Also, seriously consider buying their book - full of creative ideas, with directions for both one and five gallon sizes, which you could also scale to Mr Beer LBK size.

@Foothiller Sounds good. I was a little confused about the bourbon chips as well. Honestly I just can't bring my self to waste any of my Scotch or Bourbon hahaha

I bought 2 bag, which is the equivalent of 2 gallons (i think). Would it be ok if I just doubled it up and did a 2 gallon batch? I'm sure the LBK will handle it ok.

Looks like I should probably head back and buy a few more bags :laugh:

Use of the oak chips is optional in Brooklyn's kit. My guess about this was to include the liquor in the wort, which turned out to be one of my two experimental batches that I now call a "learning experience". I'm not a whiskey drinker and couldn't find an airline-type of sample at that time, so I substituted rum, and 3 oz of rum in the gallon batch really dominated the flavor. The flavors had blended after 8 months of conditioning into a unique but pleasant combination, but if I were doing again I would save the oak chips for making wine. Someday I may try just 1 oz of rum per gallon of a full-flavored ale. Behind the rum, the kit was a very nice dubbel.

There's no reason why you couldn't combine two kits in a LBK-sized batch, but you may need to use something like BIAB instead of their method, unless you have larger utensils than I do. The capacity of our largest kitchen strainer is about 2 lb of grain, i.e., the size of this kit. That's why I now use their method for partial-mash, to complete the recipe using LME.

Your post leads me to go to my local BevMo tomorrow when I'm near it, to see if they have the same deal. If so, I may buy a few of them!