Mr.Beer Community
Sign in to follow this  
JayFerg86

First time Brewer Advice needed~!

I received the Gold Kit today for Christmas! I have had such a need for a new hobby and i am hoping brewing beer will be the one. I Started the first batch of the grand bohemian pilsner today and was hoping maybe that someone out there has advise for the second 2 gallon batch. Something Easy but a nice twist to the original.

I heard of people using Honey, but would like to find out from someone who has tried themselves and had a good result!

Thanks for the help in advance!

-Jay

$100...you're going to get the usual "do it, as is, first" routine.

Fortunately, it's not routine. You really do need to comprehend what you're doing first and foremost. Secondly, you need to appreciate the product you're using to even know if NEEDS a tweak.

================

That much being said, what is your 2nd batch? You said the first was the grand bohemian. What is the second? I got my kit in June 2011, so I don't even remember what I got the first time.

A good appreciation of what you have would open the door as to what to do with it. For example, the Grand Bohemian HME -- according to a lot of beer judges -- could do with a whole heap more Saaz hops. Had one guy say to me, "You can never have enough Saaz...in a Bohemian Pils.

=================

In regard to honey,. be very careful. Something like honey, sugar, booster, agave and things like that are what we call adjuncts (as opposed to malt). 2/3 (66%) of the ABV of your beer should come from malt. A maximum of 1/3 can be adjuncts. And to be honest, I wouldn't even breach 25% to be safe.

If you added honey to a mix...especially not really comprehending the whole process...could leave you with a nasty cidery tasting beer which could take many months to condition out...if it ever does.

Welcome to the forum Jay. As Chris said you really should get a few brews under your belt straight up to get the brewing process down and seeing what the recipy tastes like as is.
:chug: Good Luck and Happy Brewing :chug:

Welcome! Ditto what the others before me have said. :chug:

Welcome aboard, first time around takes a while so don't get frustrated. Like with any hobby the more you do it the quicker it goes.

Just giving you a welcome to the :borg: as great advice has already been provided for your question(s).

Welcome to the Borg Jay!

These guys are great and you will learn tons from them. Take there advise and you wont go wrong.