Mr.Beer Community
Sign in to follow this  
RickBeer

Oxyclean Ratio?

Just started using this today. I filled the scoop to the "1" line for 2 gallons of water. I was wondering the ratio that people use.

What ratio to clean bottles (i.e. get labels off)?

What ratio to just clean bottles before santizing?

What ratio to clean out LBKs, carboys, etc?

i just dump some in my cleaning bucket and put some in each of my bottles and let them sit over night. all i have to do then is rinse them out. as for how much i just put a scoop in i dont really measure.

I usually use a about 1/2 -3/4 cup per 5 gal regardless what I'm cleaning. It seems to work better the hotter the water. But don't use hot water in the LBK or PET bottles,etc. You'll end up with deformed LBKs and such. For best results a few good shakes help accelerate the cleaning process.

"Knightmare" post=309005 said:

I usually use a about 1/2 -3/4 cup per 5 gal regardless what I'm cleaning. It seems to work better the hotter the water. But don't use hot water in the LBK or PET bottles,etc. You'll end up with deformed LBKs and such. For best results a few good shakes help accelerate the cleaning process.

By "cup" you mean the Oxyclean measuring cup, right?

"RickBeer" post=309012 said:

"Knightmare" post=309005 said:

By "cup" you mean the Oxyclean measuring cup, right?

Yep.

Are you all talking about using Oxyclean instead of the sanitizing pouch that I see sold by Mr. Beer?

I was wondering if there was a cheaper bulk alternative.

Oxyclean is for cleaning only, One Step sanitizer, which comes with the CMB refills is what you sanitize your LBK, utensils and bottles with after they are clean and before filling with wort or unconditioned beer. There are other sanitizers that you can use but I have only used the One Step for the last 20 plus cases that I've brewed and have never had a problem with an infection.

Enjoy making your own beer.

+1 Oxyclean is just for cleaning. clean is not sanitized. Different brewers use different sanitizers. I use Star San, pretty cheap, no issues.... I don't think you'd have issues with any sanitizer out there. personal preference.

I found one tablespoon per gallon works well. Make sure the oxyclean u are using is the one that says *free* on it, otherwise don't use it.

"FrozenInTime" post=309053 said:

I found one tablespoon per gallon works well. Make sure the oxyclean u are using is the one that says *free* on it, otherwise don't use it.

It wasn't free, it was $7.14... Buh, duh, bump.

Thanks. A tablespoon per gallon works out to the "1" line on the scoop for 2 gallons, which is what I did. Figure I'll be making smaller batches than the Oxyclean scoop provides for on occasion.

I stick with about a tablespoon per gallon. I discovered early in my brewing career that if I use too much oxiclean it leaves a grit that doesn't come off for a really long time.

"Gymrat" post=309062 said:

I stick with about a tablespoon per gallon. I discovered early in my brewing career that if I use too much oxiclean it leaves a grit that doesn't come off for a really long time.

+1 on what Gymrat said. I only have this problem when I soak bottles over night. The only way to get rid of this gritty residue is to use Starsan when sanitizing or a vinegar solution in which case you'll be washing again.