Mr.Beer Community
Sign in to follow this  
jumiller78

recipe?

just got mr beer kit and really excited. I have read reviews saying the beer they provide however is not the best. Any suggestions on an easy beginner beer that is good. I like everything except too much hops

Welcome to the forum.

Most of the time the beer is "not the best" it's because the new brewer does not wait long enough in fermenting or carb/conditioning phases.

Ferment for 3 weeks (21 days) and then bottle it and wait for 4 weeks before opening any. All conditioning should be done at room temp and not in the fridge.

Read the STICKY topic in New Brewers and FAQS that contains links to other invaluable topics.

http://community.mrbeer.com/forum/8-new-brewers-and-faqs/308656-a-must-read-for-all-new-brewers

Read, read, read and then ask questions. We're all here to help.

+ a million to what Wings said.

Patience is key in all beer brewing, and often the beer is bottled too soon, before it's completely fermented and cleaned up, and then not conditioned long enough for the flavors to blend and mellow. Three weeks in the keg (even if nothing seems to be going on, something is going on), and then four weeks in the bottle at room temperature.

To be completely forthcoming, the beer recipes that come with the kits are very simple beers, for the most part, but that's done on purpose. More complex beers may require more time and effort, and for a beginner, brewing a simple beer is best. This is your introduction to the brewing world, so creating a Belgian Dubbel is going to be more than you can handle (I've been brewing three years, and I would be seriously daunted by attempting a Belgian Dubbel!).

Take baby steps at first. Learn the process and learn patience. You'll have beer eventually. And, as I always advise first-time brewers, your first taste of your own homebrewed beer may not be the best beer you've ever tasted, but it will definitely be the most satisfying.

I will have to 2nd or 3rd that advice, whatever works..
My time spent learning the ropes with Mr. Beer kits and the help I received here on the forum has been invaluable in my becoming a better homebrewer..

Welcome..

As you will here more than a couple times on the BORG Sanitize, Patience, Patience, Patience but I would most definately add in to make sure to take notes for yourself. It could very well end up later on down the line (possibly even now) be the difference between a repeatable outstanding recipie and a random alcoholic beverage stored somewhere in the house that is starting to smell funny. Cheers and from one brand new guy to another enjoy the process and look forward to the outcome. :chug:

+1 to what has been said. Welcome...

Though I mostly all-grain by rule now. the Mr. B kit can and does produce good beer. Some people will tell you otherwise simply because... well, I don't really know why. Beer snobbery... lack of knowledge... the fact that it comes from BB&B instead of the LHBS... a bad brewing experience... a bad tasting experience. Or many other reasons...

What I do know is that if a person follows the directions and advice from this forum, one can make a tasty beer just from the delivered basic kit. And then, when one is ready to add onto their experience, one can add grain steeps, LME/DME additions, hop boils, additional yeast choices, etc. to make an even better beer.

Don't let anyone tell you that this kit cannot produce good beers. The equipment is simply a smaller sized fermenting bucket. The HME is simply a smaller sized portion of the same kinds of HME that you can buy at the LHBS. The hops, yeasts, etc are the exact same thing you can buy at the LHBS. It, quite frankly, makes no sense whatsoever that because it is a smaller fermenter and smaller portions of ingredients that it makes an inferior product. Sure, you have more control over an all-grain process, but as a starting point, this system can't be beat.

As for recipe advice... you'll have to give us a bit more info. Which extract do you have? Do you have access to a LHBS (local homebrew store)? What are your likes/dislikes? What's your comfort level regarding trying grain steeps/hop boils/extract additions? We'll be glad to help with more info.

Again, welcome... and keep us posted with your progress.

"FedoraDave" post=309135 said:

This is your introduction to the brewing world, so creating a Belgian Dubbel is going to be more than you can handle (I've been brewing three years, and I would be seriously daunted by attempting a Belgian Dubbel!).

I agree with this, but I'll also note that the recipes on the Mr. B site provide a reasonable facsimile of some of these styles at little complexity. I'm currently as we speak drinking a Mr. B Abbey Dubbel recipe (I used Belgian Witbier yeast instead of the T-58, but otherwise did the recipe as delivered)...

a95cf635748b9bdda1f07dfe37b9a24f_320x320

"swenocha" post=309151 said:

"FedoraDave" post=309135 said:

This is your introduction to the brewing world, so creating a Belgian Dubbel is going to be more than you can handle (I've been brewing three years, and I would be seriously daunted by attempting a Belgian Dubbel!).

I agree with this, but I'll also note that the recipes on the Mr. B site provide a reasonable facsimile of some of these styles at little complexity. I'm currently as we speak drinking a Mr. B Abbey Dubbel recipe (I used Belgian Witbier yeast instead of the T-58, but otherwise did the recipe as delivered)...

a95cf635748b9bdda1f07dfe37b9a24f_320x320

Wise guy.

;) Just had to throw that in, since I was drinking the Mr. B equivalent of the beer you mentioned...

:party:

Welcome to the Borg ! + 1000 to what FD said. Read the beginners stickies and just have fun . You will become obsessed as the rest of us !

Yes I do enjoy wheat beers. Was looking at my calendar looks like first beer will be done around march 1st so looking for 2nd brew ideas for spring. Guessing once you start brewing on a regular basis will have a fresh batch every 3 weeks!!!

"jumiller78" post=309191 said:

Yes I do enjoy wheat beers. Was looking at my calendar looks like first beer will be done around march 1st so looking for 2nd brew ideas for spring. Guessing once you start brewing on a regular basis will have a fresh batch every 3 weeks!!!

Or, if you're like most of us, you'll buy another LBK or three and have fresh beer even sooner!

;)

31588_10151205280883177_832427797_n.jpg

all has been stated so........................................................................................................................ welcome to the borg jumiller78 :cheers: