Mr.Beer Community
Sign in to follow this  
RavenBot

Noob with a urge

Seems I am not alone getting a kit for Christmas. I have been plotting with my wife on starting to brew my own beer and she had finally heard enough about it and got me a kit so I would shut up and start doing it lol.

I'm reading over a lot of the posts, the instructions and all the stickies before I even start. Even if I am starting with a box kit (Still trying to decided between the Irish Stout and Diablo IPA) I want to make sure I get it right.

I was curious if there was any specific book about beer/brewing ya'll experience brewers would recommend as I have an amazon gift card to blow as well.

I look forward to brewing more and learning from all the accomplished brewers on this forum.

Late Merry Christmas to you all.

How to Brew by John Palmer

The Complete Joy of Homebrewing by Charlie Papazian

If you never buy any other homebrewing books, these two will serve you well.

Great suggestions made on these books. I agree with both mentioned. Though Charlie's book is a bit dated now, it is a classic and worth your time. Palmer's old book is good, and the new version is even better.

I'll add a few more to the base list...

Dave Miller's "Complete Handbook of Home Brewing" and "Homebrewing Guide", IMHO, should be mentioned in the same sentence as Charlie's. Two other classics that are worth your time to seek out and read. What's super cool for me is that he is the brewmaster at Blackstone here in Nashville, so I get to sample his beers on a regular basis.

I'm currently brewing through the recipes in Brewing Classic Styles (by Jamil and Palmer). One great recipe in every beer style, with info about the style, is very useful and informative.

When you are done with these, may I recommend:

Designing Great Beers (Ray Daniels)
Brewmasters Bible (Stephen Snyder)

+1 to these suggestions, How to Brew by John Palmer and The Complete Joy of Homebrewing by Charlie Papazian. Both have a wealth of knowledge for you to soak up. This community is also full of great brewers with a lot of knowledge as well. Be active and ask questions, you'll be on your way to brewing great beer in no time.

Welcome to the forums and :borg:

:cheers:

Welcome aboard The Obsession RavenBot! If you're like the rest of us here you'll soon be awash in a sea of beer and setting sail on many great brewing adventures. There's lot's of information here and plenty of hands to help you get under way. You'll soon be producing some memorable beers and having a lot of fun too in the days ahead.

Navigate on over to our Advanced Brewing Techniques area of the forum and read over the

option=com_kunena&Itemid=124&func=view&catid=18&id=202417" target="_blank" title="http://community.mrbeer.com/index.php?

option=com_kunena&Itemid=124&func=view&catid=18&id=202417">'4 Things Every Brewer Should Know About Yeast'

sticky. Yeast is a living cell, keep them healthy and they'll ferment you up some awesome tasting beers.

Set your course and sail on over to our New Brewers and FAQs area of the forum and read over the 'Malt To Adjunct Ratios' sticky.

Remember for the best tasting beer you'll want no less than 66% of the alcohol to come from malts and no more than 33% of the alcohol to come from sugars or other adjuncts.

after you've been here awhile, "Radical Brewing" by Randy Mosher.

also, get "yeast" by Chris White with Jamil Zainasheff

I recommend the follow up to The Joy of Homebrewing, The Homebrewers Companinion. I just like how Charlie P makes things entertaining!

My favorite 2 books are How to brew by John Palmer and Brewing Classic Styles by Jamil Zainisheff and John Palmer.