Mr.Beer Community
Sign in to follow this  
bluegbb

Mid-Michigan

I couldn't find one for this area of the Mitten.

Starting us off, this Saturday (Jan. 5) a local LHBS in Lansing is hosting a Homebrewing 101 class (That's How We Brew store).

Also, on Sunday (Jan. 6), a local brew club is having a meeting and will hopefully be setting up some brewery trips (http://www.thatshowwebrew.com/ai1ec_event/brew-club/?instance_id=3780)

Ah fair enough!

I'm actually a grad student at MSU, but went to college in Tech so I'm not fully a Spartan.

I'll be in A2 for a month this summer, suggestions for pubs and breweries there?

Holy Shit! Someone who survived Houghton?? The snow cows??

I've only heard legends about those who dared to tread up there in the UP.

Born and raised in Mackinaw City myself.

Undergrad at Grand Valley, Masters at U of M.

Moved to KC in 1990 and still a die hard Red Wings and Tigers fans.......Lions, no so much although they are currently better than the Chiefs!

Good to find some fellow Michiganders!

Wife got her undergrad and grad at MSU so it's a house divided when the blue and green game rolls around every year.

Not a bar expert (too old...) but Ashley's has the most on tap. Supposedly one of the top selections in US. Several of the brew pubs unfortunately have awful health dept inspections including Grizzly Peak and Arbor Brewing / Corner Brewery. Wolverine State Brewing is also in town but not in the center.

Tuesday nights Bar Louie has $1 burgers and they have about 30 beers on tap for $3 from 4 to 7 I think.

Guest System Admin

Good info for bluegbb there. I haven't been in Ann Arbor for over 20 years.

Geared up for the Outback Bowl??

Absolutely. Shrimp and homebrew followed by burgers and more homebrew. Outback then Rose Bowl. Youngest is home from U of M Engineering.

Guest System Admin

I haven't seen any reports or done any reading....how's Shoelace? Has he gotten any better on that throwing arm or will they go with Gardner?

should clarify....Texas Tech. Forget there's a Michigan Tech. My bad Wings Fan

"RickBeer" post=312005 said:

Gardner I suspect, Hoke is close lipped.

Except when he is eating. Which I suspect is often.

If it gives me any other cred, Lubbock Texas isn't exactly a thriving environment.

I grew up in a little farm town outside of Lansing and almost went to Houghton. The brother of a friend of mine did go there. Not sure how it is now, but back in the 70's, there was one girl to every ten guys at the school. (not a very good ratio) While at a party during my senior year of high school, my friend's brother was home from Tech. He told me that the ratio of guys to gals as reported was correct. What wasn't told in the statistics was that a lot of the girls that went there didn't necessarily look too much like girls. I decided to go to engineering school at another school in Michigan. But they do have awesome fishing and cross-country skiing up there.

Glad to hear the brewing scene is picking up around Lansing. I seen that there is even a brew supply house and taproom in my little hometown of Grand Ledge. Back when I was there, we didn't even have a McDonalds.

I am from Kalamazoo area and we have a cabin on St Joe island in Canada near the Soo. Love the U.P and northern Michigan, some beautiful country up there!

I had to smile a bit at the Michigan Tech discussion. One of my work colleagues skated in the puck costume as the Huskies' hockey mascot back in the day. Free season ticket right on the bench.

Not from Michigan, but can see it from my front yard!

I live in Corunna, Ontario, which is just across the St. Clair river from Port Huron, Mich. We spend quite a bit of time in Michigan and my father and sister are die hard Lions fans with season's tickets.

My LHBS, as it were, is actually in Port Huron because the nearest one to me in Canada is over an hour away and I have all my Mr Beer orders shipped to an address in Port Huron to save on shipping.

Hey Mid-Michiganers (if there are any)

My LHBS is organizing a bus down to the Southern Michigan Winter Beer Festival for $40.

We have a license to have and drink beer on the bus, and there will be plenty of homebrews to try and share.

Click here for details

"bluegbb" post=325521 said:

Hey Mid-Michiganers (if there are any)

My LHBS is organizing a bus down to the Southern Michigan Winter Beer Festival for $40.

Was unaware of this festival, seems slightly less expensive ($25) than many of them. Found this in the description quite funny - "sip premium coffee". Yeah, that's why I go to a beer festival, to sip premium coffee.

I've thought of going to a beer festival, but usually when I figure out the cost per oz I change my mind :woohoo: 10 samples x 4 oz? = 40 oz ==> $7.50 per 12 oz of beer. But if SWMBO comes and only uses a few tickets, ... :laugh:

Well if you end up going, let me know, I wouldn't mind meeting a stranger from the internet...wait that came out wrong.

I will. Just don't know if I want to lay out $50, plus food I'd buy there, plus gas.

Had a great time trying some Michigan brews recently at a bar in Ypsilanti that had their 1 year anniversary and all pints for $1 from 4 - 5 and then again 10 - 11. We met our son at 4 and tried 5 different drafts among us. 8 beers, $8. Nice nap in the chair that evening too...

Selling all of my equipment and recipes

Going through a crappy divorce right now and unfortunately have to postpone what I love doing most, brewing homebrew.  Im living in a smaller apartment and don't have the greatest place to brew, so I want to sell all of y equipment and recipes that would really benefit someone else.  Ill have to look but I believe its about 15 recipes, hops, yeast and everything you need.  I also have four brown jugs to sell also.  If interested in any of it, please contact me.  I will then give you an exact number of what I have and detailed list of recipes.  Thanks and hope I have some success with this.  I live in the Keego harbor area but willing to meet someone.  Thanks again