Mr.Beer Community
Sign in to follow this  
DaleR

First Batch Fermenting!

Received an MB premium kit for Christmas, which came with the Classic American Light. I put my first batch in the keg this afternoon. I placed the keg in our kitchen pantry with a towel over it to make sure no light gets in from opening the door. We keep the house at a steady 68-69 degrees, so I should be OK. I am going to do the 2-2-2 method, but I think I will just pull out 1-2 bottles at the 2 week mark and let the rest go longer so I can see how much they improve.

I can't wait to taste my first bottle of home brew at Superbowl time!

Dale

Welcome aboard! :cheers:

Most of us recommend letting your beer ferment in the LBK (little brown keg) for at least 3 weeks and then letting it sit in bottles for at least 4 weeks at room temp before drinking.

Drinking some at 2 weeks might still taste "green" but will give you an idea of what that tastes like. :)

Hello and Welcome to the forum Dale. You came to the right place to learn how to make great beer.
Your temps should be good, Yes most everyone here recommends the 3-2-2 but with your basic kit 2-2-2 will work also
:chug: Good Luck and Happy Brewing :chug:

:borg: Welcome to the BeerBorg Information Center DaleR. You will be assimilated. Resistance is Quite Futile: WE have BEER.

after years of experimenting by many of the BeerBorg, we've determined that 3 weeks in the LBK pretty much allows for proper fermentation. To possibly shorten that time, you can get a Hydrometer and actually test for fermentation completion. That would be the original gravity taken prior to the addition of the yeast. Divide that number by 4. That would be your Final Gravity Goal.
Also, at two weeks, the beer may be carbinated, but may also have a cidery taste to it, as the yeast is still cleaning up after the Big Party. If you want to taste green beer, just put the one bottle in the fridge after 2 weeks. Save the others for after the 4th week.
Meanwhile: brew more.

"DaleR" post=312389 said:

I am going to do the 2-2-2 method, but I think I will just pull out 1-2 bottles at the 2 week mark and let the rest go longer so I can see how much they improve.

Throwing a bottle into the fridge a bit early on your first batch is not a bad idea for two main reasons. First, it will allow you to confirm that you did, in fact, make beer. Second, it'll give you an idea of what "green" beer tastes like; this will give you a baseline to see just how much the beer improves after it has conditioned for several weeks.

I bottled my first batch about 17 days ago now. I drank a bottle after 10 days and it was definitely green. It smelled a bit yeasty and was overly sweet. I can't wait to see how much the flavour and aroma improves once I've given the remaining bottles a proper 4 weeks of conditioning.

Hey DaleR,

My 1st batch was also ACL. I decided to follow the instructions to a fault to learn the process ect...

One thing I can say about this recipe is PLEASE leave it in the LBK for at least 3 weeks. I bottled mine at 2 on the day and it had a hint of cider that still lingers even after 6 weeks of conditioning. :sick:

Again, its all part of the process :)

Have fun, Welcome and Happy Brewing! :chug:

Guest System Admin

welcome and get ready to let the good beer flow!

+11111 on 3-4 and you will have some nice beer.