Mr.Beer Community
Sign in to follow this  
SlickRick07

What would recipe would you recommend?

I'm currently working on my first batch which is fermenting in the LBK. I was hoping to produce something that's similar to a nice IPA like Sierra Nevada, but obviously am not advanced enough to take on much at this point. Are there any simple refills or recipes out there that you would recommend as a nice IPA? I figure this is the best place to ask.

Maybe pick up the Deluxe Diablo IPA kit from MB. It will give you another MB recipe to get the processes down.

I was going to also suggest the Deluxe Diablo IPA kit. A good start. As you become more experienced, you can try your hand at adding hops to the recipe, but for now, just the kit would be a good start and make a pretty good beer for ya. :drinking:

Diablo is a good IPA, I"m drinking it as I type. It could use a little more hop presence as it is lacking slightly in that area. 1/2 oz Cascade to dry hop with (don't forget the hop sack) would make a nice brew for an IPA fan.

Thanks for the help! If I use 1/2 ounce Cascade for hops, is it something I should dry hop and leave in the fermenter for the three weeks or boil it in prior? If I do it during the boil, any suggestions as to how to use with the HME. Again, this will only be my second overall batch. Thanks in advance.

You'll get 5 different answers on this.

Some say dry hop for 5-7 days - I always dry hop for 10-14 days.

Regardless of the time you leave them in the LBK.......you want to add then AFTER the primary fermentation is over.

When I dry hop for 14 days, I add them on day 7.

If you choose to do only 7 days, then add then add them on day 14.

Sanitize your hop sack, put the 1/2 ounce of Cascade pellets in, tie it up and toss them in. Try to have the LBK open for only 5 to 10 seconds.

EDIT: Fixed bad math

I just purchased this refill, the Cascade hop pellets, and sack. I'll use your dry hop method. Just toss the sanitized sack in as quickly as possible on Day 7 and go for 10-14 days. It'll be a good second batch to try. thanks and ill keep you posted.

how do you convert those percentages in the malt section to dry weight of ingredients?

"Wings_Fan_In_KC" post=313005 said:

When I dry hop for 14 days, I add them on day 7.

If you choose to do only 7 days, then add then add them on day 21.

Wings: Did you mean to say the 7 days should begin on day 14 instead of day 21?

Guest System Admin

Yes. I'm losing it.

LOL

"Wings_Fan_In_KC" post=313397 said:

Yes. I'm losing it.

LOL

I think it's slowly getting us all time goes by. We'll just have to help cover each other when it happens.

Guest System Admin

Quick soak in One Step or a spray with Star San.

As I'm preparing to start on this brew I realized that I purchased the Diablo IPA Refill but not the Deluxe version. Is there anything you would change or add besides dry hopping the Cascades that I purchased?

Guest System Admin

I don;t recall if you have a LHBS around or not but....to approximate the Deluxe, you could add a half pound of Golden Light DME to the Diablo.

I'll try Arrow Wine and see if I can get half a pound. Being only my second batch, how do you reccommend applying the Golden Light DME? What type of affect will that have on the recipe?

Smallest you'll get if they have it is 1 lb bag.

You heat your 4 cups of water and add the DME to it and stir to dissolve.

Bring to a short boil (watch for boilover) and then flameout and add the can of Diablo.

Ferment it for 14 days and then toss in the sanitized hop sack containing your Cascades.

Ferment for another 7 days and then bottle it.

DME adds malt which adds color, body and ABV%. (DME = Dried Malt Extract)

Arrow Wine doesn't sell the "Golden" Light DME, but does sell a nonspecific "Light", "Amber", "Dark" DME. I'm assuming I can roll with that as well, correct?

I had my wife pick up the DME from Arrow Wine. She left with 1 lbs of Light Spray Malt Extract. That's what they guided her to while in the store. From what I've read, that sounds more like it's how they dry the malt extract than anything. Should I be good?

Guest System Admin

Light is just fine.

Golden Light has a little more "color" but the added malt and body are what you are lookig for.

In that regard they are identical.

Good Luck!!

"Bassman" post=313439 said:

How are you guys sanitizing hop sacks?

Boiled for 15 minutes.

Wings Fan, I just brewed this yesterday, everything went very smooth for my second ever brew. I'll be interested to see how this IPA turns out. I had an OG of 1.052 once everything was in the LBK. I'll dry hop on day 14 with the .5 of Cascades. Fingers crossed for something similar to a Sierra Nevada!

I'll be dry hopping the Diablo IPA this week with the Cascade pellets. I purchased the Star San to sanitize the bag. Do I need to weight this bag down or just throw it in the lBK as is?

"oly" post=313034 said:

Or you could just say "Screw it!" and jump in the deep end.

http://community.mrbeer.com/media/kunena/attachments/7344/1PlinytheElderclonePDF.pdf

It is on a Mr.Beer forum page after all.

Sorry. Not helpful, I know. I just couldn't stop myself.

Yeah, that's what I did w. my Albert's Atomic Ale, the German Altbier, I left the sack int here the entire 3 wks, I bottle her up on Wednesday. Shined the flashlight in there, couldn't see a thing.... it's so dark & cloudy.....gonna be a dark beer, so I've got her in the fridge right now cold crashing to settle her down a bit before bottling.

Jason, you dry hopped for the entire 3 weeks? If so, did you notice any grassy flavors when you sampled it? This will be my first dry hop and I'm torn on the time. I've read by some that more than 5-7 days can leave a grassy flavor behind but some brewers go as long as 14 days. I'd appreciate the input.

I've read that too but I have dry hopped for up to 14 days and bever had issues. Many of the original MrB recipes call for leaving the hop sack in the entire ferment time.

Most of the long time brewers in here also concur that they have not gotten any grassy off flavors but I'll let them speak for themselves.

I dry hopped my .5 oz of Cascades last night. It was my 10th day of fermentation and I'll let them go for the next 11 days. It was my first experience with hops and I couldn't believe how good they smelled. I really smelled the citrus that reminded me of a SNPA. I'm overly excited to try this second batch but I'll have many more days to wait.

I'm currently cold crashing the Diablo IPA and will be batch priming this on Sunday or Monday evening. As this is only my second batch I want to make sure I've used the proper calculation for sugar. According to using a 2.52 for CO2 on Screwy Brewer, I came back at 51.9 g of cane sugar for priming. Does that sound about right to what you guys have already used?

Also, this will be my first attempt bottling with glass 12 oz bottles. What's the best method in using the one step to sanitize the 22-24 bottles needed? Any suggestions?

"SlickRick07" post=333438 said:

I'm currently cold crashing the Diablo IPA and will be batch priming this on Sunday or Monday evening. As this is only my second batch I want to make sure I've used the proper calculation for sugar. According to using a 2.52 for CO2 on Screwy Brewer, I came back at 51.9 g of cane sugar for priming. Does that sound about right to what you guys have already used?

Also, this will be my first attempt bottling with glass 12 oz bottles. What's the best method in using the one step to sanitize the 22-24 bottles needed? Any suggestions?

That sounds right, that's the amount I use for batch priming a LBK batch. I sanitize all my bottles using a vinator, it's quick and easy.

Without a Vinator and bottle tree, fill them 1/2 way, put your clean hand over the top and shake. After ten mins, empty back into container, then dunk neck into bowl of One Step.

Thanks for the info guys. I bottled this Diablo IPA over the weekend that was dry hopped with Cascades. The ABV came back in at 5.5%. When I sampled it, I got a hint of the Cascades but can tell this is a bitter beer. I think the end product will be good but I am expecting that I could've made it better by adding some hop boils for flavor.

I ended up sanitizing with the One Step compared to the Star San. Does Star San require a rinse afterward or is it alright to let it dry similar to the One Step? I plan on purchasing a Vinator for my next bottling experience and using Star San.