Mr.Beer Community
Sign in to follow this  
montanaman

new friends

It's amazing when you start brewing beer, how many new friends you seem to have. Save me a bottle of this, save me a bottle of that, what i say to them is make me a BLOWME SANDWICH and buy your own. I need a healthy pipeline for camping and fishing this summer, because everybody knows that beer and fishing go hand in hand.( i have been to drunk to fish!!!)

When my pipeline gets crowded, I have to invite friends to come over and help me reduce it a bit. They don't seem to mind one bit.

Better yet invite them to start homebrewing and then you all can then share and brainstorm together. Several of my friends brew and we are always bouncing ideas off of each other.

"Trying 4 Greatness" post=313691 said:

Better yet invite them to start homebrewing and then you all can then share and brainstorm together. Several of my friends brew and we are always bouncing ideas off of each other.

+1000 to this! Get your friends into brewing and it can be a great way to swap recipes, ideas, and most importantly, beers! Everybody wins! :drinking:

If you get your friends to start brewing, then even if your pipeline dwindles, you can always bum a brew off of them! I know what you mean though. Since I told the guys at work and my family about me brewing beer, they all want me to brew them their favorite. Take a number!

"montanaman" post=313670 said:

I need a healthy pipeline for camping and fishing this summer, because everybody knows that beer and fishing go hand in hand.( i have been to drunk to fish!!!)

LOL! I hope you're sitting on the bank and not the boat at these times! B)
Good luck with your brewing and getting your friends on board!

philm00x, I haven't found but one person that likes my brew so far! I think they are so used to BMC that they don't yet appreciate a full flavored beer. OR I make crappy beer! ;)
Hell, even SWMBO likes beer now that I make it myself!

:cheers:

TT, hey that just means more for you and SWMBO! If your friends like cheap, flavorless beer, then let them keep on buying that stuff.

i was on the bank for sure when i was too drunk to fish, no alcohol goes in my boat. never had a dui in a car sure as hell not getting one in a boat!!!

This is actually a very interesting topic. I really enjoy sharing whenever I have something to share, plus I enjoy 'showing off' the good beers (nobody ever gets to see the bad ones). When I brew, I set out with the express intention of having some to share, specifically for close friends and relatives. Luckily I'm pretty much a hermit, so that's not too hard to do.

However, it's at work where I run into a slight problem. I work on a team of 24 people in an open area with 4 other teams of 24 people, and the atmosphere is very friendly. So much for being a hermit, this is a big test every night.

Anyway, not being able to contain my enthusiasm, for a long time just about all I could talk about was how much fun it is to make beer. Of course nearly everyone expressed a desire to try some, and I had no choice but to explain that my production scale is about 2 pints per day and since that's about what I drink, I could never personally produce enough to hand out to everyone.

That was a little awkward and slightly 'painful' at first, since I do enjoy sharing and 'showing off', but what could I do? I started telling everyone that it's easy to do and they should try making some too. Nobody was really THAT eager to try one.

I have discreetly handed out a sample pint or two to a few of my favorite folks at work, and I'm actually thinking about brewing a batch just for the team next Christmas, and giving them each one pint. That would hit me harder in bottles than anything else.

But I don't talk about it as much at work now, because I felt like I was 'teasing' everyone with how great it is and then not offering them some. And I've gotten very smooth about suggesting they try making some themselves if they are really interested.

I am into sharing the good as well, the so so ones end up as my private stash. Through sharing I have gotten a few friends started on Mr Beer, and the sharing has become fun.

Guest System Admin

Yeah, it would be no fun (at least for me) to share and not get replacement beers back.

I need to recruit some new brewers in my office.

"Wings_Fan_In_KC" post=313804 said:

Yeah, it would be no fun (at least for me) to share and not get replacement beers back.

I need to recruit some new brewers in my office.

No kidding. I've probably handed out pint bottles to about 8 people once or twice each, and only one has ever returned the bottles. The others just always 'forget'. That just caused me to stop handing them out.

Only one person returned them, even bought me some 6-packs of the root beer I harvest my PET bottles from, and even gave me some money to help with ingredients.

Guess who gets home brews to take home every time I see him?

Guest System Admin

Whew!

I was hoping I didn't come off like a prick saying that!

Give a man a fish and he will eat for a day. Teach him how to fish, and he will sit in a boat and drink beer all day.

"TheConserver" post=313871 said:

BLOWME SANDWICH

You spelled bologna wrong!!!!

:dry: somehow, I don't think that's really what he was trying to say TC :huh:

I'm sort of the designated beer supplier for family gatherings, holidays, barbecues, etc. And I'll share with others. One of the women in my bowling league drinks Corona, and when I made the Lime Cerveza, I gave her a six-pack, which she really liked. And I've promised both her and my brother that I'm going to make a Fat Tire clone this spring, and I'll give them each a sixer of that. But I don't hand the stuff out willy-nilly. I've mentioned at work that I brew my own beer, but not many people have expressed an interest in sampling any or brewing their own.

I believe my situation is optimal.

Almost ALL of my friends in the neighborhood drink Coors or Miller light. I'll give them the first sip of my brews (or any craft brews) and they tell me 'How can you drink that shit?' We've had quite a few beer go-arounds, just giving each other the business about the beers I/they drink.

So……I don't get asked for beer much at all!!!! I keep beer in my neighbors man-cave and sometimes there's a couple dozen folks hanging out. Rarely do more than one want to have something other than the Crap Lights they normally drink.

My brother DOES like the homebrews, but he's halfway across the state so I only have to gift him a couple times a year. My other close friends that DO like the craft/homebrews were already brewing or have started after tasting some homebrews.

I don't need to lock up my pipeline, the only threat of depletion is ME!

Life is good my friends.

"Wings_Fan_In_KC" post=313804 said:

I only share with a couple of guys in the shop because of this!
I too hope I don't sound like a prick saying this either. I enjoy sharing!
But I haven't got the bottles back or even a "thank you" from the others. No hard feelings, I'll talk to them about brewing, but don't expect any more freebies!
The ones I do share with though, I get my bottles back as well as some excellent homemade apple brandy!
:banana:

Guest System Admin

"fizgig" post=313826 said:

@ Wings_Fan_In_KC, Red Wings or Hot Wings fan?

THE Deeeeeetroit Red Wings Hockey Club!!

I have a great set of friends, while they all like good beers, only three are into brewing. i share with my friends and they share as well. No one ever goes to someone elses house empty handed. be it beer, food, whatever...

When I first started last march, I started giving out my beer for people to try out.

Then some of them started joking about how they hope they aren't guinea pigs. (ha......ha)

Now those same people, 10 months later, hear how well I'm doing with my batches. They get the positive word of mouth from those that still enjoy a bottle from me once and a while.

Then they ask why they don't get another bottle of my brew.

I tell em "I would want you to be a guinea pig."

"Trying 4 Greatness" post=313691 said:

Like this answer. :barman:

A few times a year I put out homebrew for folks. It ends up looking like this:

[video width=425 height=344 type=youtube]9cFHAJ5asMk

Guest System Admin

Damn Bumpuses!!!

"Wings_Fan_In_KC" post=313942 said:

"fizgig" post=313826 said:

@ Wings_Fan_In_KC, Red Wings or Hot Wings fan?

THE Deeeeeetroit Red Wings Hockey Club!!

High five!

Guest System Admin

Especially now that the Season is back on.....albeit a short one....there's still gonna be hockey this year!!

I've had mixed feelings about sharing my homebrews. There are some who ask me for a bottle or two to sample and I give it to them. They try it and give me some feedback and give me the bottles back. Others have "forgotten" to give the bottles back or never even bothered to thank me or tell me if they liked it or not,needless to say these bums don't get anymore freebies. Then there are a few who tried it and liked it so much they asked me to brew some for them and reimbursed me for my time and expenses. These are the folks who get a freebie whenever I try a new batch and want some honest feedback. I also have 2 or 3 buddies that brew their own and we often swap a sixer of this or that with each other.

"Wings_Fan_In_KC" post=315989 said:

Is Cindy Crosby going to play this year?

Maybe he'll get in another "fight" and "punch" someone else in the balls.

Mwah-hahahahahahaaaaaaaaa!

He ain't paid to fight. He's paid to score to help WHUP THAT REDWING ASSSSSSSSSSSSSSSS!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

Guest System Admin

Whup?

LOL

Wings vs Pens are 1-1 for the Cup since 2008.....so that's dead even in modern times.

Wings 2008
Pens 2009

I was hoping for a rematch last year, but neither team was up to the task.

I'm hoping with the shorter season that the Pens can make a run. But if Fleury doesn't get his head back in the game, it could spell trouble.

Current Cup odds from CBSSports
Pittsburgh Penguins 8/1
New York Rangers 9/1
Vancouver Canucks 11/1
Los Angeles Kings 12/1
Philadelphia Flyers 13/1
Chicago Blackhawks 14/1
Detroit Red Wings 15/1

"yankeedag" post=313873 said:

"TheConserver" post=313871 said:

BLOWME SANDWICH

You spelled bologna wrong!!!!

:dry: somehow, I don't think that's really what he was trying to say TC :huh:

Pretty sure that's a word nobody misspells since the oscar meyer commercial. ;)