Mr.Beer Community
Sign in to follow this  
vitch61

Oatmeal Stout Concern?

I had an MB Sticky Wicket Oatmeal Stout from the spring that I made several days ago. There appears to be no activity on top. I'm assuming a lot has to be going on below -- right? I hope it isn't dead.

"vitch61" post=313747 said:

I had an MB Sticky Wicket Oatmeal Stout from the spring that I made several days ago. There appears to be no activity on top. I'm assuming a lot has to be going on below -- right? I hope it isn't dead.

What temperature do you have it at right now? If it is too hot or too cold, the yeast might not be active.

Also, if you still have the empty packaging from the yeast, check the expiration date. You might have used old yeast.

More experienced brewers will be able to tell you whether or not you can save your brew, but these two points are the more likely reasons why you're not seeing any activity.

Guest System Admin

Yeah, what Dag said.

Shine a flashlight along the side of the little brown keg, down in the "foot" area.

If there is a layer of sediment (it's normally easy to see) then you're makin' beer!

+1 to all. Ive made it a couple times. I had some problems with my 2nd batch. Or I should say I had expectations of what the fermentation might be like, that were never reached. My FG came in about 12 points higher than predicted after 24 days fermenting. My notes on it were pretty limited since I made it back in the summer time. Im fairly certain that I screwed it up somehow. I had added some grains and squeezed them dry pretty much. Ive since learned, that can release tannins and Id venture to guess thats what I did. Again its not a bad beer but not one of my better ones. If you are doing the 2 cans strait up you should be good. The very first time I made it was 2 cans strait up and it was good.

I added the yeast @ 65 degrees. Good news: activity has kicked in. I think my worries were premature.