Mr.Beer Community
Sign in to follow this  
Screwy Brewer

What Do You Do With Your Spent Grains?

One of the least glamorous and equally less mentioned part of all grain brewing has to do with disposing of all those left over soaking wet grains after you've collected your wort. Irregardless of the type of mashing you prefer to do like BIAB or conventional mash tun you all grains brewers out there know what I'm talking about.

Up until now I've been adding cold water to the mash tun while draining the remaining hot wort until the grain is cool enough for me to scoop out with a large cup and by hand. I'm always on the lookout for a better way of doing things I was wondering how you all dispose of your grains after you're done with them?

Dump them into a trash bag and throw it in the dumpster.

Sometimes I save a few cups if I'm going to make some bread.

"DesreveR" post=314344 said:

Dump them into a trash bag and throw it in the dumpster.

Sometimes I save a few cups if I'm going to make some bread.

That is the same thing I do with mine.

If I'm in the mood, I make a bar, I will make a bread in the future, but mostly, throw it in with the composting leaves and grass.

Right, ultimately mine end up in the dumpster too. Do you carefully scoop them out after draining them first? My batches end up inside a large brown supermarket bag that I put in one or two plastic supermarket bags so their not dripping wet as I carry them through the house.

Used to dump them in the garden, until I saw that the dogs enjoyed them and tended to dispose of them from one end or the other on the rug. Now it's a garbage bag over an upturned mash tun, and the garbage man's fun.

Dump them in the field. The deer love them!

Turn my BAIB bag inside out into a bucket and take them two streets over to a neighbor to feed his chickens.
Take the dozen eggs he gives and fix breakfast. :banana:

"Screwy Brewer" post=314340 said:

One of the least glamorous and equally less mentioned part of all grain brewing has to do with disposing of all those left over soaking wet grains after you've collected your wort. Irregardless of the type of mashing you prefer to do like BIAB or conventional mash tun you all grains brewers out there know what I'm talking about.

Up until now I've been adding cold water to the mash tun while draining the remaining hot wort until the grain is cool enough for me to scoop out with a large cup and by hand. I'm always on the lookout for a better way of doing things I was wondering how you all dispose of your grains after you're done with them?

I'm doing stovetop BIAB, placing the sack of grain in a large SS colander in sink, letting it drain and cool off. At some point when it has cooled some, I'll bring a trash container over to the edge of the sink, put on a rubber oven mitt, pick up the sack and empty the grain into the trash. I then rinse the little bit of grain left on the sack in the sink & leave the sack with some hand towels (on hand to quickly contain any spillage) to do in the laundry.

Another one for dog biscuits. Save some of the grain to give to my wife to make them for our 2 dogs. After that, I bungee cord a trash bag over the mash tun and just flip it over. Gets 99% of the grain out. After that, blast water into it gets the rest out.

Do any of you have the recipe for the dog biscuits? I thinking my girls would love them.

I just carry the whole tun out into the back yard and dump 'em out underneath a tree in the corner. I suppose some critters will come out of the woods and eat 'em if they find 'em. If not, they'll just compost and feed the soil.

Scatter them in thebyard for the birds. :chow:

"Connie" post=314500 said:

Do any of you have the recipe for the dog biscuits? I thinking my girls would love them.

Recipe:
4 cups spent grain
2 cups flour
1 cup peanut butter (all natural)
2 eggs

Process:
Mix all ingredients thoroughly. Press down into a dense layer on a large cookie sheet. Score almost all the way through into the shapes you want. Bake for about half an hour at 350 F to solidify them. Loosen them from the sheet, break the biscuits apart and return them, loosely spread out on the cookie sheet, to the oven at 225 F for 3 to 4 hours (or until they are really dry) to prevent mold growth.

These have come out good for us every time. Hope your girls enjoy them if you get a chance to make them, Connie.

• Like 1

"FrozenInTime" post=314368 said:

Dump them in the field. The deer love them!

that's how you get them deer. ;)
Make doggy biskets as per Dag told. My hounds love them, going to do another batch soon.

I make some of the best bread there is. I use a bread maker to make the dough but I let it rise once more after taking it from the bread maker and bake it for about 25 mins at 375. It's awesome with beer, esp when it's warm. Just substitute one cup of spent grain for one of the normal recipes (I use bread fllour and wheat flour with it). My sister in law gave me this recipe and it's never failed.

• Like 1

Guest System Admin

was wondering about that too... someone on another forum said look up Treberbrot. its bread made with the spent grain.

Guest System Admin

"goblin" post=314341 said:

compost barrel.
dust to dust.

+1

Me I dump em on the edge of the greenway watch the deer and other critters enjoy them. Seems wild turkeys have a fondness for the dumpings too.

:party:

Would like to revive this thread, for any newcomers that are dog lovers. These are fantastic,

FLA Brewer said:

"Connie" post=314500 said:

Recipe:

4 cups spent grain

2 cups flour

1 cup peanut butter (all natural)

2 eggs

Process:

Mix all ingredients thoroughly. Press down into a dense layer on a large cookie sheet. Score almost all the way through into the shapes you want. Bake for about half an hour at 350 F to solidify them. Loosen them from the sheet, break the biscuits apart and return them, loosely spread out on the cookie sheet, to the oven at 225 F for 3 to 4 hours (or until they are really dry) to prevent mold growth.

These have come out good for us every time. Hope your girls enjoy them if you get a chance to make them, Connie.

So easy to make, but you need a KitchenAid mixer. With the KitchenAid, it will take almost 20 seconds to mix. If you don't have one, ask the SWMBO if she would like one, and maybe you can borrow it the day after brewing day.

When I made my first batch, we passed them out to friends and family for their doga, kind of as a joke. Now they are all begging me for more... LOL

Try it, your friends will love you for the homebrew, and their doggies will love you for the leftovers.....

dfwddr said:So easy to make, but you need a KitchenAid mixer. With the KitchenAid, it will take almost 20 seconds to mix. If you don't have one, ask the SWMBO if she would like one, and maybe you can borrow it the day after brewing day.

BRILLIANT !!!

Please be careful with the dog biscuits especially if you are first wart hoping. I believe fresh hops can make a dog ill. I may be wrong. SJW

No worries, I had read that in another post here about the dangers of hops. I always hop after the steep, so it's OK. But really, thanks for bringing that up to inform others !!! 

I tried some people treats ( grain bars )using the same basic reciepe, but also adding some honey, maple syrup, fruits and nuts. Not bad, but I think they would be better with some darker grains than what I had. Will try it again.

My buddy made some really awesome bread with ours last brew day. I will be brewing a Black IPA next week and will give him the grains to make bread and dog treats.

I just added a cup of spent grain to a standard wheat bread recipe. I needed to add an additional cup of flour since the grain was wet, but it was amazing. Spent or not, the grain adds some nutrition and fiber to the bread, and it was delicious!

After scooping grains out of my mashtun I carry grains to my backyard and scatter them with my lawn mower.  End up with no piles and it turns into a fertalizer

I got a stand of trees behind the house and I spread the grain out in there. I figure it'll help the trees