Mr.Beer Community
Sign in to follow this  
Twang_0703

Oval Office

So I just put the Oval Office Honey Amber Ale in my LBK. Looking forward to this one. I am currently enjoying the Sutters Gold that I have been drinking for the last few days.

Here is the question. The MB website says that the OG should be at 1.072 and I came out with 1.014. Is this a bad thing or are we still good? Some of my previous brews have had the same thing but they have all turned out pretty good so far. I use bottled natural spring water and follow all the instructions for the brewing and I pay a lot of attention to the cleaning steps.

Are you sure your hydrometer is calibrated correctly? If you use plan tap water at about 68 degrees, it should read 0.
In answer to your question, a 1.014 OG is not good but I'm suspecting something else is wrong if you've had the same problem with other beers. 1.014 would likely be the final gravity of a beer that starts at 1.072. Or at least somewhere between 1.014 and 1.020.

I put it in QBrew using a batch size of 2.13 gal and it calc'ed an estimated OG of 1.059.

Mr Beer may calc their OG's on 2 gallons which changes it to 1.063.

If you are are 1.014................then something is amiss. Did you temperature correct? Most Hydro's are calibrated at 68F.

"Beer-lord" post=314646 said:

Are you sure your hydrometer is calibrated correctly? If you use plan tap water at about 68 degrees, it should read 0.
In answer to your question, a 1.014 OG is not good but I'm suspecting something else is wrong if you've had the same problem with other beers. 1.014 would likely be the final gravity of a beer that starts at 1.072. Or at least somewhere between 1.014 and 1.020.

Got the same brew conditioning now. Leaned on it a little with a pound of Munton's Amber DME and 1.25 cups of honey (to empty the bottle). OG was 1.074 and FG was 1.012. She be tall.

15 days in the bottles and ready around the end of February.

Are you reading the hydrometer correctly? That reading is not possible.

Just wanted to give you a heads up, I just brewed this recipe like 5 minutes ago. Took a hydrometer reading and it came out almost equal, I got a 1.070.

I did have to take a calibration reading. It was reading about .994 in water.