Mr.Beer Community
Sign in to follow this  
Jerik

5 gallons

Today i did my first 5 gallon batch using brewers best american amber.

Im pretty experienced, at least in the LBK, so I wasnt too concerned about moving up to 5 gallons, although its been several months since ive made any beer at all.

I made a huge mess, made mistakes at several turns, and did just about every no no in the book! It was great! I finally understand the meaning of the word boil over!

I had a ton of fun, and the new challenge reminded me why i got into brewing in the first place.

In several weeks ill have a somewhat mediocre [and hopefully infection free] homebrew. I bet itll be one of the best tasting beers ive ever made.

Ah, the infamous boil over...my nemesis. Happens to me almost every brew day. I'm looking to conquer it tomorrow. Cheers!

Never used any of their recipes, BUT, doing something so out of the box to your previous experiences is a blast!
Boil overs could get you banned from the kitchen if you're married! :lol: A spray bottle of water as well as temperature control will cure most of those!
Jerik, the main thing is to get your brewing procedure down. Doing the same things the same way every time reduces your chances of missing steps.
That is something i still run into, not doing things the same way twice! I actually still write my procedures out just to be sure!
Challenges are the thing that keeps us doing things we might not otherwise attempt!
Good luck on your brew and I look forward to an update as to it's quality!
:cheers:

"Boil overs could get you banned from the kitchen if you're married!"

That's the truth. My wife banned me to the back yard or garage after I had a massive boil over on her brand new ceramic top stove, down the front of her new cabinets and onto her new hardware floor. But I did get a turkey fryer out of the deal.

I somehow have avoided a boilover, I know its like falling off a bike everyone does it.

Guest System Admin

My wife banned me to the back yard or garage after I had a massive boil over on her brand new ceramic top stove, down the front of her new cabinets and onto her new hardware floor.

Very Bad!

But I did get a turkey fryer out of the deal.

Turns to very good!

"Jerik" post=314672 said:

Today i did my first 5 gallon batch using brewers best american amber.

Im pretty experienced, at least in the LBK, so I wasnt too concerned about moving up to 5 gallons, although its been several months since ive made any beer at all.

I made a huge mess, made mistakes at several turns, and did just about every no no in the book! It was great! I finally understand the meaning of the word boil over!

I had a ton of fun, and the new challenge reminded me why i got into brewing in the first place.

In several weeks ill have a somewhat mediocre [and hopefully infection free] homebrew. I bet itll be one of the best tasting beers ive ever made.

Reading your post brought back some fond memories:

For my first 5 gallon batch I used a custom recipe from one of my local LHBS's. This was on my old totally unreliable stove. I had to struggle mightily with the darn thing to get enough water to boil for the recipe, then when I finally got everything going I got the dreaded boil over.

After that and assorted other mishaps in priming, bottling and just in general, the beer still tuned out to be pretty good!

There's always hope! :cheers:

Congrats! I just did my first 5er which was a partial mash last night. Much better than i was expecting. Just a question for you, were out able to use your lbks or did you step up with a new fermenter?

:popbeer: