Mr.Beer Community
Sign in to follow this  
piscator

Hat Trick IPA

I'd like to have a try at duplicating this without going to an AG process. I can do steeps and hop boils for 5 gallon recipes, so whatever I try must be limited in this manner.

To duplicate this craft beer, I need to emulate

1. 80% 2-row pale
2. 10% Munich
3. 10% Crystal 60

I've got the hops boil times figured out with Magnum, Cascade, and Simcoe at 60, 30, and 10, and then Cascade and Simcoe again dry-hopped.

The yeast is Wyeast 1056.

So the main question is how to get the malts in with extracts or steeping.

Maybe 4lb of Pale DME or Extract, then steep something?

Any suggestions would be most welcome.

Do a small partial mash of Munich malt and 60L. Think if it as a steep except you will let it sit for 60 minutes instead of 30. Heat your oven to it's lowest temp, turn it off, do your steep as you normally do, and then put your pot in the oven for 1 hour. This will hold the temp in the appropriate range.

You can use light DME or LME for the 80% 2-row.

It's really not a big deal, just think of it as a longer steep and the oven method makes temperature control work fine, even if you are just using a small volume of water.

Thanks.

A half pound each of Munich and 60L in a bag.

And to be sure I've got it right, steep that alone in 2.5 gallons of water for 30 minutes and then move the kettle to the preheated and turned-off oven for sixty more minutes.

Bring it out, back on the stove, drain and remove the bag, and then bring up to boil, flame off and add in the DME using Frozen's method and when it's all dissolved and dark, flame back on, up to temp and start my hop boil.

That sounds like a plan!

Pre-heat your steep water, add the grains in the bag, and immediately put it in the oven. Leave it there for 60 minutes. (no need to steep 30/leave it another 60).

Edit/Note: If you were mashing a lot more grain then the temps matter more if you want it to be more or less fermentable, but for this purpose, just get your water to 157-160ish, turn it off, add the grains, put it in your oven and you will be golden.

You could probably duplicate this with a can of amber LME from Briess. It looks like a hoppy amber ale to me. The steeping grains will give it the extra mouth feel and lacing. But for the most part it looks like a hoppy amber to me.

Yep, it is amber from the tap. I don't know why they call it an IPA. Pretty darn tasty, and I'm more of a malt guy.

But this stuff is good. They make it in 300 gallon and 1000 gallon batches, so while I was able to get the ingredients list...volumes were somewhat hard to figure.

"mashani" post=315021 said:

Pre-heat your steep water, add the grains in the bag, and immediately put it in the oven. Leave it there for 60 minutes. (no need to steep 30/leave it another 60).

Edit/Note: If you were mashing a lot more grain then the temps matter more if you want it to be more or less fermentable, but for this purpose, just get your water to 157-160ish, turn it off, add the grains, put it in your oven and you will be golden.

Got it and thanks again.

"piscator" post=315179 said:

Pretty darn tasty, and I'm more of a malt guy.

That is what I call the Munich effect. A little bit of Munich in anything makes it better IMHO. Or a lot of Munich. I do not fear Munich in any quantity!

I ran this on Screwy and found I was short just about everywhere.

The target ABV is 6.5% with an IBU of 70.

To get there, it looks like I need more DME and more steeping grains than 4.0lb and .5lb.

If I up the DME to 6.0lb and the two steeping grains to 1.0lb each, it comes very close.

Nothing wrong with using a pound of munich. I use 2 pounds of munch in many kinds of LBK beers. Crystal should be fine too with all those hops.

I'd go for it.