Mr.Beer Community
Sign in to follow this  
Boe1971

Brewer's Best kit

My LHBS has a program where once you have purchased a set amount of product through them you get a free beer kit. I recently got my first free kit from them and it's a Brewer's Best IPA 5 gallon kit. It has all of the LME, DME, specialty grains, hops and yeast I need to make a 5 gallon batch. Being that I am still only set up for LBK sized batches would it be so simple as just dividing and weighing all of the ingredients into two Mr Beer sized batches and use 2 LBKs to ferment? I would likely have to brew 2 separate batches a couple of days apart because of time and space restraints.

If you can weigh each item and then split it......that would make sense to me. Then just get another yeast for the second time around.

Storing DME is easy. Storing LME, I think you need to pour come vodka on top of it to seal out the nasties and then refrigerate.

If you have a big enough brewpot to do the volume required for that kit, you can just make the kt as normal.

Buy a 5-6.6 gallon ale pail. Pour everything into the ale pail, top it off with cool water and pitch your yeast. Then you can just split the contents between your two LBKs. That's what I do when my 6.5 gallon fermetor is in use, and I don't want the hassle of trying to store an opened kit.

I'd like to know how it turns out, I've heard that the BB IPA comes out pretty good and I've been wanting to try it.

If you have a big enough brewpot and two vacant LBK's, you could do the whole $hit in caboodle at once.

If you're going to brew the second within a week or so, storing the LME in something with a tight sealed lid in the fridge should keep it fine.

I've done the BB IPA kit a few times. I dry hop an oz in addtion to whatever comes with the kit.

I've done Centennial, Amarillo and Citra. All were very good.

Break down and get an Ale Pale. You'll keep going back to it, time and time again.

This is the same kit I've just started using. It's a 2.5 gallon (water) steep and boil, so a 4 gallon brew kettle works fine. A nice little digital meat thermometer by Oneida (BBB) for $20 helps a lot. I poured my batch into to LBK's chilled them down on ice and pitched the Nottingham rehydrated yeast after spitting that in two also.

I filled each LBK with 1.0 gallon of ice water and chilled the word down to 160F before the pour. Result in the LBK was 100F, which then I chilled down with ice to 75F before pitching.

This thread shows the process:

http://community.mrbeer.com/forum/8-new-brewers-and-faqs/309522-milk-stout-partial

"Skelly" post=314821 said:

If you have a big enough brewpot to do the volume required for that kit, you can just make the kt as normal.

Buy a 5-6.6 gallon ale pail. Pour everything into the ale pail, top it off with cool water and pitch your yeast. Then you can just split the contents between your two LBKs. That's what I do when my 6.5 gallon fermetor is in use, and I don't want the hassle of trying to store an opened kit.

I'd like to know how it turns out, I've heard that the BB IPA comes out pretty good and I've been wanting to try it.

Yup this is what I do to, except I pitch the yeast into the LBK's either way it works.

"pghFred" post=314841 said:

If you're going to brew the second within a week or so, storing the LME in something with a tight sealed lid in the fridge should keep it fine.

I've done the BB IPA kit a few times. I dry hop an oz in addtion to whatever comes with the kit.

I've done Centennial, Amarillo and Citra. All were very good.

I was thinking the same thing. I ended up with just under 2 pounds of hops for Christmas and a good bit of those are Citras. I am probably going to go with an ounce of Citra for the last 5 days of fermenting. That should give it a very nice aroma... :woohoo: