Mr.Beer Community
Sign in to follow this  
zobel0022

Ferment for longer than 3 weeks?

I made the recipe for Defibrillator Doppelbock and today marks the 3 week mark in the LBK. I took a small sample from the LBK and it still seems to have a little cider like taste to it and is still a bit cloudy. I have heard that the yeast would surely be done by 3 weeks but is it possible that it is not done yet and I should leave it for another week? My LBK has been fermenting at 68 degrees for 3 weeks...I know this is a higher gravity recipe so does that mean that it will need more than 3 weeks?

It is possible that you may have a stuck or slow fermentation. I only had one batch that took longer than 3 weeks and that was using a Saison yeast that fermented at the bottom of its temperature range. The best way to know is to use a hydrometer to check the gravity to see where it sits. Check again a couple of days later and if the gravity hasn't changed, bottle it up. Usually, 3 weeks is plenty of time.

Rick

I'll bet that your beer is probably ready to go, but leaving it for another few days isn't an issue. Your temps were in the right range fermenting. How much yeast did you use? I would suggest getting a hydrometer.

I'm not familiar with the new recipes, nor do I know what yeast is used for that one, but the only beer I've ever made that was not completely fermented within that period of time (including a 1.104 beer) was a stuck fermentation that I didn't get going again until it had been two or three weeks in a secondary. At this point, if your fermentation temperature did not dip drastically at some point, which can cause yeast dormancy that it very rarely does not emerge from, your fermentation is almost certainly done and leaving it on the yeast will cease to be beneficial. The only way to be certain of course, is to use a hydrometer; but if it is not sweet, I think it's safe to say that it's done.

Cideriness can be caused by simple sugars in the recipe, and as long as they were used in reasonable proportions, it will condition out. Conditioning occurs both inside and outside the bottle after the fermentation has finished. All the yeast required to finish conditioning your beer are still in suspension, so they will continue to do their job once in the bottle. As long as your temperatures do not get warm, it probably would not hurt to leave the beer on the yeast bed for another week, but I really don't think you have anything to gain by it either.

"stevecon" post=314806 said:

I'll bet that your beer is probably ready to go, but leaving it for another few days isn't an issue. Your temps were in the right range fermenting. How much yeast did you use? I would suggest getting a hydrometer.

I used 1 pack of the yeast that comes with the HME's. I got my hydrometer after I already brewed this batch so I could not get a OG. I took a gravity reading today and will check in another day or two to see if it has changed. Thanks for the fast reply's guys!

"rickbray66" post=314814 said:

What gravity reading did you get today? How close is it to the estimated?

Rick

I am at 1.011 and the estimate final says it should be 1.008

Guest System Admin

"zobel0022" post=314812 said:

"stevecon" post=314806 said:

I used 1 pack of the yeast that comes with the HME's. I got my hydrometer after I already brewed this batch so I could not get a OG. I took a gravity reading today and will check in another day or two to see if it has changed. Thanks for the fast reply's guys!

Take a reading and tell us what it was, you can deduce if the beer is done by your FG. If you have Qbrew you can also decipher your OG by how much malt/adjuncts you used.

"zobel0022" post=314817 said:

"rickbray66" post=314814 said:

What gravity reading did you get today? How close is it to the estimated?

Rick

I am at 1.011 and the estimate final says it should be 1.008

3 points isn't far off, wait three days and take another reading if it is the same bottle it.

Guest System Admin

.003 = 3 / 1000th's!!

You are probably as close as yer gonna get!