Mr.Beer Community
Sign in to follow this  
mike60

New to the neighborhood!

Hi everyone,

Just got in. I hope this will be an excellant ride. Looking forward to the conversation's. :cheers:

Welcome to the obsession. This is a great place to learn, share and just plain waste time while you're at work. :banana:

Guest System Admin

Welcome! You have made a huge step to making great beer - signing up for this forum

Salud our new Borg friend and welcome to THE ADDICTION & The BORG. You will have a lotta fun and a lotta empty beer bottles once your pipeline is going strong. By that I mean you will drinking your wonderful homebrews, making a lotta friends here and in your area once you start sharing the brews with others.
Oh yeah, remember these 3 important words: Patience, Sanitization & SWMBO

:cheers:

Welcome aboard Mike,

Rest assured that we're all very laid back here and we like to keep our brewing activities in the proper perspective, always seeking moderation and restraint. NOT!

Your hopes of an excellent ride will probably be acheived. Strap yourself in good. It's very easy to become obsessed.

I'm one of the lucky ones who has been able to eat, drink and breathe brewing every minute of every day and still manage not to become obsessed by it. I hope you have the same discipline.

Thanks everyone. I have over a week into the fermantation, but I don't think my yeast is happy. I have yeast clinging to the sides, above the water line, and there is alot on the bottom. I haven't opened the barrel. My room temp hovers around 66 degrees to 70 degrees.

"mike60" post=318216 said:

Thanks everyone. I have over a week into the fermantation, but I don't think my yeast is happy. I have yeast clinging to the sides, above the water line, and there is alot on the bottom. I haven't opened the barrel. My room temp hovers around 66 degrees to 70 degrees.

Sounds pretty normal really. Nothing to worry about. You have good temps. What recipe did you brew?
One thing to think about is your room temp. The fermenting beer will be a little higher than the room temp. I'd suggest getting a stick on thermometer that is much more accurate on the temps inside the LBK. You can get them at your local brew shop and maybe mr beer sells them. Not sure though. In the mean time, maybe move the lbk where it's a little cooler in the house.

"mike60" post=318216 said:

Welcome mike60. Sounds like all is normal.
The "yeast" above the water line is from the krausen that formed while fermenting. Think of it as a roudy party and things were thrown on the wall. The trub (troob) on the bottom is part party mess and part tired party goers (yeast mess and yeast). Never explained it quite this way, but thats about it, hope it helps.
Let it go 3 weeks then bottle, wait another 4 weeks to condition, put it in the fridge for a few days then enjoy.

:borg: Welcome to the BeerBorg Information Center Mike60. You will be assimilated. Resistance is Quite Futile: We have Beer.

It should prove to be a fun ride.