Mr.Beer Community
Sign in to follow this  
maverick

Apple Ale ?s

Making an Apple Ale says rather than using the Apple Extract, which Ive heard can lead to a cough syrup taste, I can use 1 Gal of "unpasteurized or preservative-free pasteurized cider. Im wondering if I could use an unfiltered apple juice....says nothing is added, but lists apple juice and vitamin c as an ingredient. If vitamin c is listed on the ingredients, Im assuming it is added, will this mess up my beer?

Pure, no additions is prefered. If they added vit. c, I would look for a bottle without it. Have u had an apple ale? I tried it once, will never do one again. Just sayin.

I found an Apple Cider that is pure no preservatives, but I think the unfiltered apple juice would give it a better natural taste. It also has no preservatives and is pure, but has the vitamin C added to preserve color...also, these are 1.5 Liter jugs, so itd take 2 1/4th bottles or so maybe mix them? Or should I stay in the clear and just use the cider?

I used juice concentrait, all natural. I'll let others answer your question, I don't do apple ales. IMHO, use the cider or juice for a hard cider and use the malt for a straight ale. (read my first answer... LOL)

"FrozenInTime" post=315559 said:

Pure, no additions is prefered. If they added vit. c, I would look for a bottle without it. Have u had an apple ale? I tried it once, will never do one again. Just sayin.

I got some Redd's Apple Ale a few months back, I won't be doing it again either.

Recognizing that not everyone likes fruit beers, and that all personal preferences are fine, I have been enjoying the apple ale that I made for Thanksgiving. I used 100% apple juice, not a concentrate. Unfortunately it was based on a HME from its old lineup that Mr Beer doesn't offer now. Taking a guess about how to come close using the current ones, try a base of Bewitched Amber Ale HME, and two packs (1 lb) of the "golden" LME. Mix the LME in a half gallon of water and boil 0.25 oz Goldings hops for 20 minutes and 0.25 oz of Goldings for 5 minutes. (I use hop sacks.) At flame-out, add the HME and half gallon of apple juice. You can use the new Mr Beer yeast. After one week, add 4 oz of dark brown sugar and 2 tsp cinnamon. Let it ferment 2 more weeks, then condition in bottles for 6 weeks. I'm just guessing here, from my experience, but writing this makes me want to try it myself.

Love cider and have been researching an apple ale also. Looks like midwest has an apple kit with good reviews. I want to try it soon.

I have been experimenting with apple juice beer for over a year. I'm looking for more of the Woodchuck/Strongbow/Angry Orchard kind of flavor.

I have tried just about everything already listed here, including all the MB recipes using the MB Archers extract. So far nothing has come close.

I do get a drinkable brew, but not the sweetness I'm looking for in the ciders mentioned. Most of my brews average around 7% ABV and one even ran over 9% (I used 2 gallons of AJ and can of concentrate/sugar).

The experiments will continue though!

:chug:

SmokeDiver - Just some ideas, which you may or may not have tried: for sweetness, add lactose, which is an unfermentable sugar (doesn't matter much when you add it; should be available at your LHBS). For honey flavor, steep some honey malt. Also, try an ale yeast in cider. Many use wine yeast, which ferments until fairly dry, or champagne yeast, which can ferment very dry. Ale yeast leaves more residual sugar.