Mr.Beer Community
Sign in to follow this  
Boxerbrewing38

Malt Question

I have not been on the forum in quite sometime so I apologize. As I am sure this has been brought up before. I just doin't feel like trying to search the next 4 hours away finding the thread. I previously made the jump from extract to all-grain. My first all grain batch was horrible and I know why. I am wondering how much malt should be used in a typical 5 gallon batch. I heard 3 pounds per gallon which is what i tried. I was just wondering what you guys thought. On a brighter note one of the main resons i havent been on is I landed my dream job I am now a brewer for Samuel Adams and working like crazy. however the comparison to our brews to a 5 gallon batch are just a bit different hahaha

Three pounds per gallon seems like a lot unless you're making a really big beer. What's your target OG? That's really what's going to determine how much grain you use.

I don't mean to sound dubious, but you really work as a brewer for Sam Adams? What do you do exactly as part of your job? This stuff seems pretty basic for a professional brewer.

Well, I must congratulate you on that dream job. I'm totally jealous. But still happy for you. Even if you're not the most experienced brewer, you can always learn as you go. Good luck in your job.

As for how much grains to the gallon, that's going to depend on what you want from the beer you're making at the time. But I have found that 10 to 11 pounds of grain for a 5 gallon batch might make a fair ballpark amount, if I was pressed to make one. So let's say 2 pounds to the gallon of finished beer? Just add a little more to that, depending on what style you're going after.

Congratulations on your job! :banana: :banana: :banana:

I'm confused about your question though. The amount and types of malt you use are entirely dependent upon what you intend to brew, and what sort of mash efficiency you get. You might use anywhere from 6 to 28 pounds of grain for a five gallon batch. I would suggest doing some reading on the subject. This is a good place to start:

http://www.howtobrew.com/section3/index.html

I have to call BS on this one! If you we're a brewer for SA, you would already know the conversion. Either that or you BS'ed your way way into a job you'll be fired from shortly. Don't feed the troll people!

Guest System Admin

Don't

Feed

The

Troll

To sum up the original question is not easy. It all depends on what you want the OG to be. To put it simple, if you could get 100% efficiency out of a base grain you would end up with an OG of 1.045 per pound of grain in 1 gallon of water. Assuming 75% efficiency, you would end up with 1.036 for 1 pound in 1 gallon of water.