Mr.Beer Community
Sign in to follow this  
antiwraith

Carboy Recomendation?

I'm looking to purchase a glass carboy to lager my 5 gallon batch. It will basically be used for secondary usage and perhaps primary if I watch to "watch" my beer ferment. What size should I get? 6.5 gal or 5 gal? 6.5 gallon seems obvious as there is like $2 difference between that and the 5 gal version. However is there a concern about lagering a 5 gal batch in a 6.5 gallon carboy? Too much headspace? For the price difference I think I really want to go the glass route, but I currently don't want to purchase 2....so I need to get the size right. Thoughts?

5 for secondary. 6 to 6.5 for primary. 'Course you could always use the smaller one for fermenting a 4 gallon batch.

Truth be told, you could probably use the bigger one for secondary too if you transfer your beer early enough to drive the O2 out of it and maintain a good seal afterward.

I thought about it, but went 5 gal. I've got several upcoming batches that need secondary and worrying about that 1.5 gallon of extra headspace is one less worry. Plus the slightly smaller size will make it a little easier to get in the fridge.

I have a 5 gallon 6.5 gallon carboy and an Ale Pale. When I brewed 5 gallon batches I used the 6.5 gallon carboy a few times and I've blow the fermentation lock off a couple of times (pitching Wyeast will do that especiall the Alt strain). My old process was primary in the 6.5 to rack to the 5. I switched to a big ale pale for 2 reasons.

-1) The Glass 6.5 Gallon carboy + 5 gallons of wortbeer is quite heavy and made me nervous I almost dropped it once. the Ale pale is lighteer and has a bigger head space ( I did pop the fermnation lock which a raspberry sassion once)

-2) I don't rack to secondary any more, and my beers improved since I started that. But of course I just do ales.

But with the glass its neat to see the fermentation doing its thing.

With a 5 gallon carboy, you will need a blow up tube set up until the krausen falls.

I would check the Better Bottle ported 6 gallon fermenter and see if that meets your needs.

-D

Well I did plan ahead and purchased the carboy brew hauler as well. The thing with all of the straps. I figure that will be way safer than those handles....

Also I shouldn't have to worry about blow offs just using it for secondary. I have a 6.5 gal ale pale for primary. Though I might do some little MB batches in the carboy just be able to see it ferment, that'll depend on how hard the carboy is to clean compared to the LBK. :)