Mr.Beer Community
Sign in to follow this  
BrowncoatMal

Dry Hopping While Cold Crashing

I have an LBK in the fridge right now cold crashing and decided to throw in about .5 oz of Cascade hops (in a sanitized tea ball infuser).

It's been about 3 days, and I'll bottle this on Saturday. On a few other forums folks were saying that it adds a bit of a muted hop character unlike the more in your face aroma of dry hopping at fermentation temps. Of course this also depends on the kind of hops ect...

I wonder if the alpha acids react different at different temps. Anyone have any experience doing this?

Thanks!

Good question, let me start out by saying I add my dry hop additions a week after pitching my yeast, so the primary fermentation activity doesn't scrub away the aromas I'm trying to add. After a week or two of soaking the hops at room temperature I'll cold crash the fermentor with the hops inside for 3 days if bottling and another week if kegging.

I would think the warmer temperatures are better for extracting the hop oils than the colder temperatures but it's just my guess.

"Screwy Brewer" post=317807
I would think the warmer temperatures are better for extracting the hop oils than the colder temperatures but it's just my guess.

I have heard the same thing from many a brewer and never tried to disprove it.

I've had great luck with dry hopping for 7 days and waiting until the 14th day but I usually ferment for 3 weeks. Some of my beers I ferment for 17 days and do what screwy does and am pleased with the results.

I agree with Gabby Johnson Brewer....I mean Screwy Brewer.

Now who can argue with that? I think we're all indebted to Gabby Johnson Brewer...I mean Screwy Brewer for clearly stating what needed to be said. I'm particulary glad that these lovely children were here today to hear that speech. Not only was it authentic frontier gibberish, it expressed a courage little seen in this day and age.

LOL (I've seen Blazing Saddles waaaay too many times.)