Mr.Beer Community
Sign in to follow this  
bigT

Glass double rimned bottles

I have hit the mother lod of bottles at my brothers. He has a taste for dos exuis and I have about 50 green and dark brown bottles.
They have the double rim that Ive read dont cap with a hand capper.

Does a bench capper work with these types of bottles? and how well? I can get a bench capper for about $35 which would pay for itself after a couple batches.

Ive noticed the hienikens among several others have the same double rim, which I can get more of.

There is a thread on here somewhere covering that exact topic.Although I haven't tried yet the borg has confirmed a bench capper will work.

[attachment=10384]mostinteresting.jpg[/attachment]

"I don't always use Dos Equis bottles when I bottle my beer. But when I do, I use a bench capper."

I have not found a bottle I can't cap with my bench capper. Heineken ones are a huge pain in the arse to delabel though... Nothing dissolves their adhesive.

received my hand capper from MB today and i ran into a snag. i purchased a bunch of Bohemia in bottles to use on my next batch but they have a single lip ( no lower lip) for the capper to grab a hold!

im in search for bottles that i can use the black MB hand capper with. any suggestions on brands of beers that will work would be greatly appreciated.

The bench capper will work. The reason a butterfly capper doesn't work with a bottle with a high collar is because it uses that lower collar for leverage to grip and hold the bottle. No such issue with a bench capper since the pressure is applied between the bottom of the bottle and the top of the cap.

Weird. I have used the brown Dos Equis bottles before with my red baron hand capper, and I've never had any issues... I only used them a couple times though, before moving them from my collection because they didn't match all my other bottles lol.

I have used these type bottles, Dos Equis and Hofbrau, both green, and had problems with the wing capper.
It wasn't that they wouldn't grip, it would sometimes slip over the small lower flange. You basically had to turn the bottle 90 degrees and cap it again to get a secure seal.
I threw all of those away rather than take any chances!
A bench capper will be a near future purchase!

Off flavors refuse to enter his LBK purely out of respect.

"Chuck N" post=318270 said:

[attachment=10384]mostinteresting.jpg[/attachment]

"I don't always use Dos Equis bottles when I bottle my beer. But when I do, I use a bench capper."

"roadx" post=321901 said:

received my hand capper from MB today and i ran into a snag. i purchased a bunch of Bohemia in bottles to use on my next batch but they have a single lip ( no lower lip) for the capper to grab a hold!

im in search for bottles that i can use the black MB hand capper with. any suggestions on brands of beers that will work would be greatly appreciated.

The best bottles for winged cappers IMO are Sam Adams and Sierra Nevada. There are many other brewery's that use the same style of bottles. After a while you can just look at the bottles in the store an know if they will work for you.

thanks

looks like i will be picking up some Sam Adams and Sierra Nevada.
to bad the Bohemia bottles didn't work, they have short stocky bottle that fit in the refrigerator shorter shelves.

"Knightmare" post=322033 said:

"roadx" post=321901 said:

The best bottles for winged cappers IMO are Sam Adams and Sierra Nevada. There are many other brewery's that use the same style of bottles. After a while you can just look at the bottles in the store an know if they will work for you.

I have a some of the double lip bottles and they generally cap ok but the capper does get stuck sometimes. I think the metal tab that grips the lower lip comes up too far for the first lip. I always mark the cap with my brew # and an x to use them first...

I found this posted somewhere quite some time ago.. It might help..

Pry-Off Bottles
· Anchor
· Bass
· Becks
· Bell's
· Beck's
· Big sky
· Birra moretti
· Boulder
· Breckenridge
· Bridgeport
· Brooklyn Brewery
· Bud American Ale
· Butte Creek
· Carlsberg
· Crown Lager
· Dicks
· Dogfish Head
· Deschutes
· Eel River
· Firehouse
· Firestation 5
· Fishtale
· Flying Dog
· Great Divide
· Great Lakes
· Grolsch
· Green Flash
· Guiness
· Hacker Pschorr
· Hair of the Dog
· Harpoon
· Heineken
· HoeGaarden
· Kona
· Lakefront Brewery
· Magic Hat
· Michelob Premiums
· Negro Modello
· New Belgium
· New Castle
· New Glarus
· North Coast
· Odells
· Paulaner
· Petes
· Pikes
· Red Hook
· Red Stripe
· Ridgeway
· River Horse
· Rogue
· Sam Adams
· Samuel Smith
· Sapporo
· Schlafly
· Sierra Nevada
· Smithwicks
· Spaten
· Speakeasy
· Smuttynose
· St. Pauli
· Steinlager
· Stockyard
· Stone
· Sweetwater
· Mission st.
· Terrapin
· Three Floyds
· Terminal Gravity
· Troegs
· Victory
· Widmer Bros.
· Weyerbacher
· Young's Double Chocolate Stout

Stay away from Short's Brewery bottles, the labels are stuck on with nuclear fission and made of platinum. Despite a heavy soak in Oxiclean, the glue would not come off. Even Goo Gone surrendered. Since I only had 10 of those, and more cases of bottles than I know what to do with, I decided they will just get resold.

You can't go wrong with a bench capper. The one I use also can cork, cap champagne bottles, cork bottles for Belgiums