Mr.Beer Community
Sign in to follow this  
bluegbb

Keg overflow almost made a keg bomb!

What a morning!

I got up this morning and took a peak on my keg. I brewed the Shameless Stout yesterday morning and was excited to see the activity...

Saw there was some overflow. No big deal, I've seen the threads on this, read the comments, knew to get a paper towel dipped into a StarSan solution. I go to wipe off the exterior foam first and notice "wow, the keg isn't sitting level anymore." That's when I realized the notches must have gotten clogged. so i try to carefully twist off the lid and as one might have expected....BOOM....krausen everywhere in one direction.

All in all, it wasn't that much foam, but I'm just glad I remembered to check before getting to work today!

So newbies...take the advice you keep seeing around here and keep some StarSan made up in an airtight container, and put some of that in a good spray bottle. Made my morning a lot easier after this adventure.

Phew glad to hear the crisis was averted. Hopefully it calms down a bit and you get a delicious beer in a month or two!

yeah, it was still foaming by the time I left work an hour later, so I can tell it's just going to be an active baby for a few days. Might even keep me up nights!

Too funny! Should have taken some pics!

Its a good thing you got to it this morning, might have come home to a real mess tonight!! I have heard stories of popped LBK lids, but never seen one myself, knock wood.

As Forrest Gump said, "It happens."

[attachment=10429]CCC_Explosion.jpg[/attachment]

Used the StarSan spray bottle and paper towel a couple of times during the high krausen of MB Chocolate Covered Cherries. That aluminum turkey pan under the LBK was worth its weight in gold this time. After second plugging of the vents I just covered the opening with a piece of sanitized foil until the krausen settled down.

"StatsnBrew" post=319261 said:

As Forrest Gump said, "It happens."

[attachment=10429]CCC_Explosion.jpg[/attachment]

Used the StarSan spray bottle and paper towel a couple of times during the high krausen of MB Chocolate Covered Cherries. That aluminum turkey pan under the LBK was worth its weight in gold this time. After second plugging of the vents I just covered the opening with a piece of sanitized foil until the krausen settled down.

THAT'S AWESOME!!!! :banana: :woohoo:

Yeah, awesome!

That's what the Quad looked like. My threads did not totally clog, But I heard continuous high pitched hissing/whistling and when I checked on it the fermentation was so intense that keg actually started to get "round" at the bottom, would roll from side to side a good bit when I pushed on it. When I popped the lid it went "whoosh!"

So, let's talk active keg management.
When you have a brew that you know is going to go off like a rocket, is it recommended to carefully and cleanly (with a sanitized paper towel over the lid) remove the lid to release the positive pressure periodically?

Edit: realized this is probably "burping." time to google away.

Guest System Admin

Eh, maybe not so much.

That lets out all of the good Co2 that shields the brew from harmful oxygen.

Better to just let it ride and clean up after it.

I think the place to start is understanding what caused the fermentation to do that in the first place. I've had a few fermentations that took off like this one but both times I had added wort directly on top of the prior batch's yeast cake. What was different about this fermentation compared to a typical one?

This was the shameless stout, and I just used the yeast that came with the Irish Stout HME. I did everything as normal. Cleaned the keg after bottling, then before saniitizing, and used the no-rinse.

I did aerate the dickens out of the wort before pitching...

Wait...hmm...I did use a little bit of the wort (cooled) to hydrate the yeast before pitching. I had read that some people do that so I gave it a shot, could that have caused this level of fermentation?

"bluegbb" post=319315 said:

This was the shameless stout, and I just used the yeast that came with the Irish Stout HME. I did everything as normal. Cleaned the keg after bottling, then before saniitizing, and used the no-rinse.

I did aerate the dickens out of the wort before pitching...

Wait...hmm...I did use a little bit of the wort (cooled) to hydrate the yeast before pitching. I had read that some people do that so I gave it a shot, could that have caused this level of fermentation?

I don't think so, actually water boiled and cooled to 90F works better than wort for rehydrating dry yeast and there's limits to how much o2 goes into solution using room air. I'd guess temperature and overfilling the LBK might explain it, ruling out any infections.