Mr.Beer Community
Sign in to follow this  
FedoraDave

Mr. Beer reviews

I've started this thread to provide a forum for reviewing the Mr. Beer recipes/refills.

It occurred to me that many new brewers (and even the vintage Borg members) might benefit from such a thread. It might be a good idea if it was a sticky (HINT HINT, moderators).

Just a couple of ground rules:

1 - The beers reviewed must be Mr. Beer packaged recipes or refills
By this I mean the beers you would purchase via the links on the Mr. Beer homepage; either refills or Advanced Recipes. This is not for beers created by us using the Mr. Beer ingredients.

2 - The beers must be unadulterated
No malt additions, no hops additions, no adjuncts. Whatever you get from Mr. Beer is what goes in the beer. Exceptions would be honey, ginger, other spices which the recipe specifies the purchaser supplies.

3 - The recipes must be followed exactly
Except for using the 3-4 method, the recipes must be prepared according to the instructions. Measurements of adjuncts must be adhered to. No additions or omissions.

Sound good? I'll post a reply to register my first review.

Columbus's Cascading Amber Ale

From the Balanced Recipes selections of the Advanced Recipes link.

Initial impressions: Good head from a standard pour (beginning with a side pour and advancing to a center pour). Rich white head just crowning over the rim. Head retention not very good, nor is the lacing. Very nice color; rich amber, almost sparkling. Superb clarity.

Very pleasant aroma. The Cascades hops is full, but not overpowering. Can still perceive the darker malts.

Rich taste. Good mouthfeel. Bitterness strong but not overpowering. Some sweetness to counterbalance the hop bitterness at the front; a touch of roastiness toward the swallow. A lingering, not unpleasant bitterness in the finish.

Not what I'd call a session beer; a little too heavy in both texture and ABV for that, but extremely satisfying. Drank my sample a little too fast for it to warm up properly, but I would think that it would improve as the temperature rose, allowing more of the darker malts to become prevalent.

Conclusion: A very successful amber ale, with more hop presence than malt, but not overpowering. This would be good as a complement to beef or strong fish such as trout or salmon. That being said, it's a good after-dinner beer, as well, and could work well with a rich dessert such as chocolate cake or truffles.

I asked because I'm getting ready to try the Powerful Patriot ale for the second time. First time it turned out nasty.

"bcltoys" post=319563 said:

I asked because I'm getting ready to try the Powerful Patriot ale for the second time. First time it turned out nasty.

Well, you can review the first batch you made as compared to the second batch. The first one may have been nasty because of User Error, or maybe it's just not a style you care for, in which case you'll think the second batch turned out nasty, too.

But this isn't meant just for love letters to Mr. Beer. It's meant to be the honest opinions of the quality of a certain Mr. Beer recipe/refill. If the style is not something to your liking, it is hoped that you'll at least be honest enough to recognize whatever quality is inherent in the beer and acknowledge the positives and negatives objectively. Just because a person isn't a fan of a certain style of beer doesn't mean they can't recognize a good example of that style, in other words.

I'd suggest a link to it. www.mrbeer.com/product-exec/product_id/1227/nm/Columbus_Cascading_Amber_Ale_1

A thread like this might be useful if people weren't posting all the other stuff that they are going to post. It can be very hard to find stuff in a huge thread.

I'm aware of that thread, and it's a great thread for sharing recipes that use Mr. Beer extracts as a base.

But I think there's value in a thread that evaluates and critiques the refills and recipes just as they are, sort of as a public service to new brewers who may not know what they're looking for in their next batch, but want a certain style and aren't ready to try any departures yet. It is hoped this will give them honest evaluations of the recipes so they'll be able to make a more informed decision.

I think they're two sides to the same coin, actually, so that link is a very good idea to include here.

Great idea for a thread! As a new brewer this will help me to decide on future beers. I've got a couple weeks left of bottle time on Bewitched and I will add a review of it then!

"FedoraDave" post=319570 said:

"bcltoys" post=319563 said:

Well, you can review the first batch you made as compared to the second batch. The first one may have been nasty because of User Error, or maybe it's just not a style you care for, in which case you'll think the second batch turned out nasty, too.

But this isn't meant just for love letters to Mr. Beer. It's meant to be the honest opinions of the quality of a certain Mr. Beer recipe/refill. If the style is not something to your liking, it is hoped that you'll at least be honest enough to recognize whatever quality is inherent in the beer and acknowledge the positives and negatives objectively. Just because a person isn't a fan of a certain style of beer doesn't mean they can't recognize a good example of that style, in other words.

Yes it was user error it was still 74 in my house at the time and it kicked off at about 78 degrees and at point may have got up to 80 degrees.

Not only will this help a lot of us who would like to know what the various recipes and flavors are like in case of a "I only have an hour and I want to get something in the LBK" situation but it will be helpful in determining what to order next (especially if reviewers list some similar commercials beers that it reminds them of)
AND
I think something like this will help people, especially new folks, leave the beer in the LBK for the appropriate amount of time. They will have an expectation of what they can get out of it if they know going in what it should end up as.

Just my 2 cents :)
jeff

"FedoraDave" post=319539 said:

Sound good? I'll post a reply to register my first review.

This is a great idea. I just bottled my first batch and am looking for the next very basic step (probably like a lot of other people who got started with a Christmas gift). I'd like to hear what people think of the straight-up Mr. Beer mixes.

Great idea Dave!

I'm just working my way through the last of my old MrB stuff, and I was wondering which of the new stuff to start on.

Dave, don't shoot me for saying this but why not use the REVIEW section of the recipe itself? It covers all the basics, has a nice easy entry format that is standardized.

Example

Not trying to spee in your Cheerios, just wondering if people shouldn't be leveraging the already provided tools on the site.

I think Dave also means to discuss/review refills also which do not have a review option on the site. I'll be sure to review asap! Good idea!

"Kealia" post=321097 said:

Dave, don't shoot me for saying this but why not use the REVIEW section of the recipe itself? It covers all the basics, has a nice easy entry format that is standardized.

Example

Not trying to spee in your Cheerios, just wondering if people shouldn't be leveraging the already provided tools on the site.

I know I don't always read the reviews of the recipes, but I do check the Mr. Beer community pages regularly.

Also, the reviews I'd like to post here are more comprehensive than you might get in the review section of the recipes.

I want this to be more in-depth. Also it would put them all in one place, rather than having to click on each individual recipe.

I don't mean for this to be comprehensive for the Mr. Beer recipes. I just thought it would be convenient and informative to have these reviews here in one thread, posted as people try the recipes.

Well, I just brewed Ole Mole Stout, so I'll let you know how it turns out in a few weeks. I brewed it as recommended, though I did boil 1/2 a tablet of Whirfloc in the sugar for about 5 minutes. I hope that doesn't disqualify me!

Bewitched Amber Ale

LBK for 3 weeks and bottles for 4 weeks

Not much head with standart poor and didn't last very long. Lacing wasn't very strong either.

Had a very nice, amber color and the clarity in the beer was excellent. Followed the MB specs as far as priming sugar with the 1L PET bottles and feel that it's a bit more carbonated than I would like.

Tried this at four weeks and had mellow flavor to it. Feel the carbonation is messing with my tasting though, too much soda like fizz just throws me off a bit. The aroma has a slight yeast scent to it still, so think I will wait a bit more time before cracking open my next one so the yeast can clean u a bit more.

Overall, I would make it again with less priming sugar. Considering it's my very first time making beer though, I'm pretty impressed. Just something about the fact that I made it myself makes it taste all the more better!

Fedora Dave,
You pre-read my mind.
I was looking at the recipes section yesterday and noticed that there are very few reviews over there.
I am one of the many Christmas noobs in the borg who seek answers to our many questions from "Those Who Came Before".
One example for me was the American Porter. I think there are five +/- recipes that use the AP Hme and they all use the term Hoppy yet the IBUs are all over the map.
I want to hear from the folks who brewed these up before I buy them and I thought they were mostly created by Mr. Beer brewers not by Mr. Beer Marketers.
I see through the forum posts that there have been changes to the MrB line up at some point.
I wonder if they are all being brewed but still conditioning so they haven't been tasted yet?
I hope folks will agree with you that this is a good idea , it sure would have helped me before my 20% coupon expires.
Thanks

I for one think it is a great idea and would like to see this and the 2013 Brew Total over on the NBFAQ section made into stickies so the are easier to access. In about 3-4 weeks I'll post a review of the NW Pale Ale Deluxe I bottled yesterday.

T4G

"Brewbirds" post=326795 said:

I see through the forum posts that there have been changes to the MrB line up at some point.
I wonder if they are all being brewed but still conditioning so they haven't been tasted yet?

The product line changed around September, so they have been brewed for quite some time. Mr. Beer's site only has reviews setup on the recipes, not the refills. Many started with the base products to try them out, and then are starting to modify them, although likely on their own vs. via the receipes.

If you look through the recipes you see some of them are clearly involved. Others are the same as the refill, but add some booster or LME. To me that's not a recipe, just a subtle change.

Example:

Oktoberfest
Bohemian Bronze - add hops, LME and booster to Oktoberfest
Rose's Rambling Red - add LME and booster to Oktoberfest

I am in the process of polishing off the rest of the 'witty monk'. Used the deluxe refill and followed the recipe to the letter. I'm not very impressed and feel that it lacks the wheat flavor and feel. Bit lite on the mouthfeel and if you follow the carbonation directions it develops a bit of a cidery taste as it ages.

I'm really happy with the new Bavarian Weissbier (used the Weizen liquid yeast instead of the dry wheat yeast, and also add the Golden wheat LME). One of the best ones I've had from the new line.

I'm all for it. It's something I have been looking for on this site. It's something that I'm sure would help me decide what I would like to brew in the future.

My favorite beer: Bavarian Weissbier with Golden LME. Heck, while a bit on the light side, I don't mind that standard brew done straight up. Great flavor. Best extract here, IMO.

Classic American Light = Pabst Blue Ribbon with a head

My budy is a bud light drinker and likes it. He said its crips and fresh tasting. I think its weak and needs a boost.

"bigT" post=331669 said:

My budy is a bud light drinker and likes it. He said its crips and fresh tasting. I think its weak and needs a boost.

I also brewed the classic american light and I had my friend try it without telling him what it was and he said "tastes like coors light".

I'm with you though. I am not a huge fan of light beer to begin with so I felt it lacking.

Gila Monster Black IPA - 3 weeks fermenting - 6 weeks carbonating and conditioning. It's a bitter beer for sure but the roasted malts hide much of the bitterness. The flavor hits you and sticks around long after the beer is gone. I've had 2 other people sample it and they loved it. I'm not a huge IPA guy but with a steak dinner this rocks!

Not for the faint of heart at 99 IBU's and around 7.5% ABV.

Patriot Lager with Pale LME

Fermented 3 weeks and bottled for 4. Very little head and didn't last long, not a lot of aroma but fairly smooth tasting. Definitely would make a good base for additions. Would add some maybe some catapils and some hallertauer hops for a bit of flavor and aroma.

"MattP1981" post=347925 said:

Patriot Lager with Pale LME

Fermented 3 weeks and bottled for 4. Very little head and didn't last long, not a lot of aroma but fairly smooth tasting. Definitely would make a good base for additions. Would add some maybe some catapils and some hallertauer hops for a bit of flavor and aroma.

Liberty hops work well to.

Just as food for thought, whatever I am brewing, before I bottle anything I always draw off about 1/8 cup and taste it. It is not going to taste like a finished, conditioned beer/wine, but if something has gone horribly wrong, you will know it right off the bat. Sometimes you can even turn one of those around. But if it is totally horrible, unless you just want to practice your bottling technique, why waste the time? While I am new to beer making I have been making various forms of wine for a number of years and this method works well for me.

"Trying 4 Greatness" post=326921 said:

I for one think it is a great idea and would like to see this and the 2013 Brew Total over on the NBFAQ section made into stickies so the are easier to access. In about 3-4 weeks I'll post a review of the NW Pale Ale Deluxe I bottled yesterday.

T4G

I had my first bottle from this batch the other night and have to say it was very good. To me it was a lot better than the old WCPA w/ booster. It poured crisp and clear with a good head that lasted longer than most of the beers I've made. I would make it again and will probably add it to my summer rotation or a recipe that uses it as a base.

Keep brewing!
T4G

I have a FedoraDave shrine in my brauhouse, because of the very nice personal help he has given me. In contrast to a brewer here who has 1200 posts, 900 of which are "+1" on those who actually know what they are talking about, I would follow The Hat into battle, er, brewing, anytime.

"Big" post=348463 said:

I have a FedoraDave shrine in my brauhouse, because of the very nice personal help he has given me. In contrast to a brewer here who has 1200 posts, 900 of which are "+1" on those who actually know what they are talking about, I would follow The Hat into battle, er, brewing, anytime.

There is a "showering with the hat" thread you might be interested in... :whistle:

My GF also said it tasted like Coors light. I felt the American Ale tasted more like PBR. I actually don't mind it so much. Keeping the CAL going for her, since she liked it.

"Deejay" post=346180 said:

"bigT" post=331669 said:

I also brewed the classic american light and I had my friend try it without telling him what it was and he said "tastes like coors light".

I'm with you though. I am not a huge fan of light beer to begin with so I felt it lacking.

I did CAL on my first batch. It had much more flavor than the Oktoberfest I did on my second batch.

Tonight I had my first taste of the Baby Got Bock. I brewed this batch per the instructions but when the liquid yeast did not start after five days I had to drop in a packet of the new dry yeast that came with the Hme but was not needed so I do not know if that affected the finished product that much or not. I fermented for about 20 days and let sit in the bottle a good five weeks and in the fridge for three days. Before pouring I let the bottle sit on the counter for about thirty minutes. It poured clear with a big foamy head that was not overly dense and dissipated quickly. On first taste it was okay but not as good as the old Brew Ha Ha Bock which I loved. I am not as we'll versed on others as to mouth feel, complexity, and all of the other stuff but to me it was an okay beer. I will probably brew it again with the correct yeast to see if that affects my perception of this beer but unless the change in the yeast greatly changes this brew it will not be going in my rotation. I'm sorry I could not be more specific about what it is about this beer that I'm not crazy about.

T4G

Review on Armstrong Dortmunder Export:
This is a lager style brew and requires you to ferment in lower temperatures using the yeast provided with the recipe (51°and 59° F). Used a cooler and threw in frozen water bottles which kept it in the mid 50s.
Using this method, I needed to rotate the bottles to keep the temp from fluctuating too much.

I lost patience and tried a bottle (22 oz) after two weeks bottled. Color is darker than anticipated, and you get a nice aroma from the Mt. Hood hops that you add while fermenting. My only issue is that the beer lacked head, and mouth feel/body, but that is most likely due to my impatience. I will definitely sit on this for another 2 weeks before trying another. But the flavor and aroma of the beer is a big step up from the standard refills.

Review of Partytime Pilsner:

Very light and clear, with an almost pure white head. The head falls rather quickly, and there's not much lacing.

A soft aroma, with a slightly floral or fruity hint. Very smooth-drinking beer without a lot of hops bitterness. Very well-balanced between hops and malt. A good session beer, and would be very refreshing on a hot afternoon, or a good complement to burgers off the grill. The same slight floral/fruity hint in an otherwise somewhat dry finish.

A nice beer!

Review of Double Black Diamond

Per thread instructions, brewed as recipe is designed. I brewed this back in December and let it age until March (yes, I actually planned this year's St. Patrick's Day beer ahead of time).

Black as night beer with 3 fingers of dark tan/brown head from a slightly aggressive pour. Retention is not bad, it lasts a couple of minutes. No noticeable lacing or at least none that left an impression. It is a medium bubble head, definitely not creamy like a Guinness or other nitro stout.

Beer came in 5.0% ABV, so stronger than your typical dry Irish stout, but not overpowering as a session beer. Strong hop backbone as far as bitterness goes, which compliments the chocolate flavors (if you like dark chocolate, you will probably like this beer). This beers is full of rich chocolate and roast malt flavors with a higher than average complexity for a Mr. Beer brew.

This is definitely a 4/5 stars beer.

"Kroger" post=350704 said:

This is a lager style brew and requires you to ferment in lower temperatures using the yeast provided with the recipe (51°and 59° F). Used a cooler and threw in frozen water bottles which kept it in the mid 50s.
Using this method, I needed to rotate the bottles to keep the temp from fluctuating too much.

I lost patience and tried a bottle (22 oz) after two weeks bottled. Color is darker than anticipated, and you get a nice aroma from the Mt. Hood hops that you add while fermenting. My only issue is that the beer lacked head, and mouth feel/body, but that is most likely due to my impatience. I will definitely sit on this for another 2 weeks before trying another. But the flavor and aroma of the beer is a big step up from the standard refills.

Thanks for the review. I brewed the Armstrong Dortmunder Export and it is currently conditioning. since my pipeline is full and I've got so much going on right now not drinking much beer. I'm going to let it sit for awhile longer.

Dark Forest Stout. I'm not into fruit beers but because SWMBO I brewed this one for her to try. She is not a beer drinker and rarely if ever drinks any beer. Brewed according to directions, no mods, three weeks in fermenter, five weeks conditioning before I tried the first one. I must admit I was pleasantly surprised at the outcome. Nice dark color, good head that stays even after the pour. Nice stout taste with a hint of raspberries in the background. the ultimate test was when I poured a glass for my wife. Reluctantly she tried it and took her usual baby sip. I was expecting her to give her standard answer, it's ok and put the glass down never to touch again. This time she took a second sip, and said she liked it. She actually finished the glass of beer and has drank another one or two since. So in the final analysis, this beer must be good because it passed my non beer drinking SWMBO taste test.

Review of Ole Mole Stout:

It has been in the bottle for almost 7 weeks. It has a very nice chocolate smell, but not as much chocolate flavor as the aroma might suggest. You can taste the red pepper, but it is thankfully muted. I love hot, spicy food, but not so much in beer. I remember thinking 'WTF?' when I had a Cave Creek Chili Beer a number of years ago, but this isn't anywhere near that.

The flavor of the Ole Mole Stout was pretty good, though I found myself wanting some more mouthfeel or more malt. I think a 1/2 lb of Dark DME or some Robust LME might have been a worthy addition. It still has a bit of a tang in it, so I'll let it condition for another month and see how it turns out.

My batch clocked in at 4.6% ABV

My last couple of this batch really smoothed out and seamed to have more body. These were in the bottle 6-7 weeks. Still alittle boost and it would be a nice lawmower beer.

Bavarian Wessbier I was a little disapointed, this was brewed straight up. Not saying it was a bad beer, just thought it was ok. Again seamed week and was needing something. I can see it being a good base for a recipe.

I can't review the Chez Pilsner because I added to it, but it was close to the Party Time Pilsner with more a bitter saaz hop addition. I would recommend the Party Time Pilsner.

After a few more weeks, the brew isn't much better in it's ability to retain any head and it feels just a bit weak in regard to mouth feel. If anyone else has brewed this recipe, I'd like to know if you found similar results??

"Kroger" post=360817 said:

After a few more weeks, the brew isn't much better in it's ability to retain any head and it feels just a bit weak in regard to mouth feel. If anyone else has brewed this recipe, I'd like to know if you found similar results??

Feel free to correct me if I am wrong but,
From what I've read lagers can take a long time to fully condition - up to several months. I brewed toward the end of Feb. Tried 1 over the weekend after 4 weeks and it had a small white head and a little lacing on the glass. Flavor was good but still a little green and needs a few more weeks of conditioning.

I have to give Mr. Beer some real credit on the API IPA it has turned out to be one of my favorites.

Defibrilator "Doppelbock" Review

After 6 week in the bottle I decided to try the Defib Doppel. Next to the updated Rose's Ramblin' Red, this has to be my favorite of the Mr. Beer recipes thus far. QBrew showed an IBU rating of 48, which to me seems to be more accurate than Mr. Beers rating of 30 but, it is well balanced by a malty sweetness and it is smooth despite the high ABV (Mine over attentuated and ended at 8.25%). Gonna let if finish conditioning and try the next bottle at 8 weeks. I will definitely brew this again with 1 modification (DME instead of booster).

"ScottyP" post=361378 said:

After 6 week in the bottle I decided to try the Defib Doppel. Next to the updated Rose's Ramblin' Red, this has to be my favorite of the Mr. Beer recipes thus far. QBrew showed an IBU rating of 48, which to me seems to be more accurate than Mr. Beers rating of 30 but, it is well balanced by a malty sweetness and it is smooth despite the high ABV (Mine over attentuated and ended at 8.25%). Gonna let if finish conditioning and try the next bottle at 8 weeks. I will definitely brew this again with 1 modification (DME instead of booster).

I completely forgot about my DD! I'm going to dig it up and see what it tastes like. Brewed a few months ago.

"m3n00b" post=361389 said:

I completely forgot about my DD! I'm going to dig it up and see what it tastes like. Brewed a few months ago.

Let me know how it is after a few months, it will be a total of 9 weeks in the bottle on the date that I have it pegged to be "ready".

"ScottyP" post=361405 said:

"m3n00b" post=361389 said:

Let me know how it is after a few months, it will be a total of 9 weeks in the bottle on the date that I have it pegged to be "ready".

Okay I had one yesterday and checked the date. I bottled on 2/19 so it wasn't months ago. It's was really good. The hop bitterness finally came through and the sweetness went away. Mine only came out to 7.86%. I'll probably wait til winter the drink the rest. I've got plenty of summer brew going on right now and this should be excellent by then.

Last night I had one of the last 2 remaining Diablo that was brewed straight up. This was the one I thought offered very little to my hop mouth and just left me with an ending bitterness with no flavor or aroma.
After I can't remember how many months, it has mellowed much. Still no aroma but the end bitterness is gone and that allowed for a tad bit more flavor.

The other I have with extra malt and hops is the only way I'd brew this again. After 6 weeks, it's a very enjoyable beer.

"Beer-lord" post=361657 said:

Last night I had one of the last 2 remaining Diablo that was brewed straight up. This was the one I thought offered very little to my hop mouth and just left me with an ending bitterness with no flavor or aroma.
After I can't remember how many months, it has mellowed much. Still no aroma but the end bitterness is gone and that allowed for a tad bit more flavor.

The other I have with extra malt and hops is the only way I'd brew this again. After 6 weeks, it's a very enjoyable beer.

Thanks for the update Beer-lord. Good info for us modding fools.

Brown Eyed Girl - followed Mr. Beer instructions
This is a pretty good brew; it has a nice nutty flavor that I expect from a Brown with just enough hops to balance it out. As with most Mr.B recipes it has little to no head or hop aroma.

Bohemian Bronze

Brewed according to MrB specs except 3-4 method
66-70 room temp
Good 1 inch off white head fell rather quickly, good lacing though
Color was kind of dark for a bronze real amber almost brown
Excellent aroma and clean finish very balanced IMO
I would def. recommend this one to a friend or brew it for them!

I appreciate this information being a new to brewing this is very helpful I want to hear the good and bad reviews

2 bottles gone from the Octoberfest. really good stuff. Ordered another. Trying the Patriot this weekend.

"windowpane" post=375977 said:

2 bottles gone from the Octoberfest. really good stuff. Ordered another. Trying the Patriot this weekend.

+1 on the Octoberfest! And the patriot is very good too! Just laid that one to rest!
They both took 6 wks to start hitting their prime though ... Neither one made it past 8 wks,
But they both tasted the best at 7-8 wks, IMO ... Probably would have gotten better too!

"Trying 4 Greatness" post=348434 said:

"Trying 4 Greatness" post=326921 said:

T4G

I had my first bottle from this batch the other night and have to say it was very good. To me it was a lot better than the old WCPA w/ booster. It poured crisp and clear with a good head that lasted longer than most of the beers I've made. I would make it again and will probably add it to my summer rotation or a recipe that uses it as a base.

Keep brewing!
T4G

I don't know what everyone else thinks of this beer but I wanted say again how much I am enjoying it. I had put me membership on hold to use up some old stuff but I'm seriously thinking of starting it again as I won't have enough of this to last the summer.

T4G

I've finally brewed one that I really like!
I followed borg member Chizzle's post about brewing MB Howling Red with tweaks. Here is the recipe:

i just deleted the post because the Howling Red Al had steeping grains and hop additions.

;

I'm drinking Swen's Belgian IPA right now (Diablo with trappist yeast, a hop boil, and some honey/DME) and it is quite good. Haven't had the Diablo straight up, but this variation is good. This is the first of the new extract brews that I've really cared for, to be honest.

"willsr" post=352102 said:

Review of Double Black Diamond

Per thread instructions, brewed as recipe is designed. I brewed this back in December and let it age until March (yes, I actually planned this year's St. Patrick's Day beer ahead of time).

Black as night beer with 3 fingers of dark tan/brown head from a slightly aggressive pour. Retention is not bad, it lasts a couple of minutes. No noticeable lacing or at least none that left an impression. It is a medium bubble head, definitely not creamy like a Guinness or other nitro stout.

Beer came in 5.0% ABV, so stronger than your typical dry Irish stout, but not overpowering as a session beer. Strong hop backbone as far as bitterness goes, which compliments the chocolate flavors (if you like dark chocolate, you will probably like this beer). This beers is full of rich chocolate and roast malt flavors with a higher than average complexity for a Mr. Beer brew.

This is definitely a 4/5 stars beer.

I'm beginning this batch in about a week or so and I was hoping to make this more of the "imperial" style. Since you've tried the original, how do you think it would end up if I added a pouch of robust UME (liquid)? I want that higher abv% but don't want any really harsh flavors that might result from too much dark malt.

Surly Dog IPA Review
This was the third batch I've done with mr beers ingredients and even now a few batches later, this stands out as my absolute favorite brew so far. I'm not the only one either, most of my family and neighbors agree that this is a top knotch beer.

I did primary for about 3-4 weeks and went straight the bottle for carbing. 2 weeks in the bottle and around 3 weeks conditioning before I tried my first bottle. There's a nice fizz sound upon opening and a rather nice white two finger head. There's really good head retention on this brew; if you leave it out in the open for 30 min the foam will hardly disappear. The taste is quite clean upfront for an ale. There's a bit of a meady tone left by the cup of honey added to the wort. There is a really nice hop bite to the end of this brew with a citrus, pine hint to it. As far as IPAs go, I was anticipating a bit more in terms of aroma. You can certainly smell the Columbus hops added to the wort but not too much more than that. There is a bit of a time frame to enjoy this brew though. Conditioning for at least 1 month will improve this beer but refrigerating for more than 5 months will result in a diminishing upfront flavor. I'm saving my last bottle for my birthday in a month. Although the initial flavor is quite clean and light for an IPA, the bite still remain even after months and months of refrigeration.

Top knotch brew with a really forgiving yeast strain (US-05). This is a very easy beer to make and is quite satisfying. As for pairing, it works well with anything with lots of flavor, especially with really spicy foods. The hop bite helps cut through the spiciness of certain foods. The ABV% is rather potent at ~7.3%. I'd give it an 8.7/10.

Bumping this as I was looking all over for it after news of the big sale came out, now I and others can go thru and see what recipes we should order while they are all 25% off.

So all you peeps that have recently done a MrBeer recipe, get your reviews up here, we are depending on you :)

I am considering the following to do during the dog days of summer as The Hat said in another thread - it is just too durn hot here to be doing boils and mashes etc. I am gonna simplify for the hot days.

Dark Forest Stout
Defillibrator Dopplebock
Baby Got Bock
That VooDoo taht You Do
Vlad
Santa Catalina Pale Ale

Anyone with any info on those especiallly, I would appreciate it.

Cheers
jeff

Except for using the 3-4 method, the recipes must be prepared according to the instructions. Measurements of adjuncts must be adhered to. No additions or omissions.01.jpg02.jpg03.jpg04.jpg05.jpg06.jpg07.jpg