Mr.Beer Community
Sign in to follow this  
Sirtuff

Brand New Brewer

Like several others on here, my wife purchased me a Mr. Beer kit. Since I'm the type of person who thoroughly investigates something before I do it, your site has been great! Like many of the experienced brewers on here have said, 3 weeks in the LBK is necessary and I can see it in my LBK. I want to thank the many of you who provide your valuable information and experience to this site so people like me can learn about the mistakes without having to actually make them. I started my beer on January 1st, so I'm looking at one more week before bottling. I'm using one of the two refill kits that came with my Mr. Beer kit and I'm looking forward to having a beer in late February. I also made my first stop at the only place I know of in Omaha, Nebraska that has home brewing equipment and asked some questions. I'm really looking forward to experimenting a little down the road after I have a good idea of what I'm doing. Cheers! :chug:

Welcome to the obsession, Sirtuff. If you like to have fun and drink good beer, you've come to the right place.

Welcome to the forum Sirtuff. If you go by the the MrBeer directions, you will make beer. But we have all been doing it for awhile and can tell you how to make better beer. The choice is yours. Let it go 3 weeks in the fermenter(lbk) and let it condition for 4 weeks in the bottle, a couple days in the fridge.. You will have good beer if you do this.
:chug: Good Luck and Happy Brewing :chug:

:borg: Welcome to the BeerBorg Information Center Sirtuff. You will be assimilated. Resistance is Quite Futile: WE have Beer.

Welcome aboard Sirtuff!
I'm the type to thoroughly investigate too, and there's no better place to learn than here! Check out the stickies , ask questions, brew, and read the stickies again (they'll make more sense the second and third times through).

Welcome to The Borg, Sirtuff. You'll do just fine if you follow the directions and have patience. And do your research, which includes reading the forums here and asking questions if you have them. We're all here to help, and we're all about the beer. Nobody lets their egos get in the way of brewing.

Ok. I've decided I can't wait any longer and am going to crack my first brew tonight. It's about a week earlier than I planned (it's at 3 weeks now, but I was going to wait 4), but I want to see what it tastes like right now and get an idea of how much longer I need to wait for the rest of them based on where I keep them stored and such. I put it in the fridge a couple of hours ago and will open it up in about 3-4 hours more and have a taste- can't wait!!!

Guest System Admin

Shucks, we all get the willies waiting 4 weeks.

This will give you a good feeling for what the brew is now and then after 4 or 5 weeks you can see what it tastes like when it's "done."

Have fun!

I opened my creation and was not disappointed. It looked, acted, and tasted like beer. I did note a slight vinegar aftertaste, but it is right where I expected it to be right now (thanks to all of you, I know that information). I'll let it sit for another week and taste the second bottle, then try it again in another week. By the 5th week, it should be completely ready for consumption. I used the Mexican Cervaza brew mix that came with my kit and put it in the 8 liter bottles that came with the kit. I just finished bottling my second brew (Czech Bohemian Pilsner) and put it into glass bottles and started my third batch (American Light). I was able to pick up six two-packs of Mr. Beer mix on clearance for $20 each, so I'm good to go for a while. I'm really looking forward to sharing my brew with my co-workers and friends soon. I think that this summer, I'll look into expanding my kit to a five gallon one and into other recipes.

welcome to the :borg: hope you dont get hooked like the rest of us...............but its way more fun and cheap compared to collecting stamps

@sirtuff,

I appreciate hearing someone who think similarly to myself. I just got my MB kit for Christmas and I'm not the type of person that likes learning from mistakes. I like to prepare myself through research and knowledge to get thing started on the right foot. I agree that this site and the vets involved have been overly helpful. It's a great feather for our cap!