Mr.Beer Community
Sign in to follow this  
mashani

Itteration #8 - Some Sort'r Porter

I've never tasted the new Mr. Beer porter, so who knows, but I added some crystal and extra malt. I'm just flying by the seat of my pants to use up these things and extra stuff I have here. This will likely be closest to a brown porter by style. Maybe.

2oz 120L crystal (steeped)
4oz 80L crystal (steeped)
4oz Extra Light DME
1 can Mr. Beer/Coopers American Porter
1 pack Mr. Beer Brewmax Robust LME
1/2oz Willamette @10
3 packs DownUnda yeast. Because I have tons of it and my basement is chilly for its specs, so want to make sure I pitch plenty.

Steeped Grains in 1 gallon water. Added DME. Boiled 5 minutes. Added Wilamette. Boiled 10 minutes. Added LME and Porter extracts @flameout.

Cooled, added to LBK, topped up to 2.4 gallons.

OG 1.044.

Keep us posted.
I for one love porters. Interested how it turns out.

This one is up soon for me as well. Just figuring out what I want to add to it. Your steep/addition seems like a good pairing...

@swenocha, I was torn between adding a bag of the Smooth or the Robust. But since I like to doctor my beers so I can fill the the Q and get that extra bottle out of it, I went with the Robust to "boost" the HME, and the crystal to get me some of the caramel and dark fruit that you'd find in a brown porter. It might be too roasty to be one still, but that won't bother me much, if so it will be like sessionable version of a robust porter. Which can't be a bad thing.

It's bubbling out of my lid right now and smells good, so we will see. Lots of DownUnda doesn't seem to mind the cold.

I bottled this @1.009. Hydro samples tasted ok, but were damn bitter for a porter. Could have used a lot more malt.

Bitterness should mellow with age at least.