Mr.Beer Community
Sign in to follow this  
CraftsBeer

Apparently I Cannot Count... but does it matter?

The Defibrillator Dopplebock was my recipe of choice and i possibly mixed it up wrong. Naturally i did not follow step 2 of the instructions. Or at least, i don't think i did.

Step 2 is "Using the sanitized measuring cup, pour 4 cups of water into your clean 3-quart pot." I used a 1/2 cup measuring cup, and was at work today when i realized 4 x 1/2 DOES NOT EQUAL 4. Having now realized my mistake i am inclined to add 2 cups of water to my beer so it does not turn into syrup. However i have two problems with adding volume to the keg at this point:

1: I would have to sanitize the water, then cool it so adding the hot water did not shock kill the yeast. Not worried about thermal shock on the plastic of the keg, but on the yeasties, who have only been growing and multiplying for 2 days.

2: Using the Winter Dark Ale HME, as noted elsewhere, I have NO headspace in the keg as is. I was releived after reading THIS that the keg had not gone critical already. I loosened the lid about 30 degrees, and will tighten it back down in an day or two. To add two cups of water to this seems to be asking for trouble of the foamy kind.

HOWEVER: I did follow step 5: "Pour the wort into the keg, and then bring the volume of the keg to the 8.5-quart mark by adding more cold water. Stir vigorously to mix well. ", so does any of this matter? I have the correct volume, I added water to make it 8.5, so it should be (roughly) within proper proportions... right?

I am now very un-confused about how hard it was to get the Booster to dissolve in the water (step 3) and the HME-LME-Booster syrup that was on the bottom of my mixing pot. I did however, use this gel in the wort by adding the cool fresh water to the pot first, stirring to get the 'gel' cut and suspended, and then pouring this into the keg.

So my question to the beer borg and fellow brewers out there: Is my Wort OK? Should I add something, toss the whole thing, thin the wort at some point (now, bottling, another time)? What should be my next step.

HOWEVER: I did follow step 5: "Pour the wort into the keg, and then bring the volume of the keg to the 8.5-quart mark by adding more cold water. Stir vigorously to mix well. ", so does any of this matter? I have the correct volume, I added water to make it 8.5, so it should be (roughly) within proper proportions... right?

Yeah, you are going nuts for nothing.

You made more work for yourself, but it will all be OK. The 4 cups of water helps to thin out the malt and it is a little easier to do that with hot water. However, you can do it with the additional water you used to fill up your LBK. You might have needed to stir it a bit to get it to mix. You will get beer - so sit back and relax.

Relax. You're good to go. FWIW I don't measure the starting water, I just pour "some" in a pot.

OK, I'm gonna give it too you straight! Failure to follow my instructions to the letter will result in the beer police showing up at your place and confiscating all your beer, brewing equipment, and any other items they deem necessary.

1. Allow to ferment out to 3 weeks
2. Bottle, leave at room temp for 4 weeks
3. This is normally where you would put in the fridge for a week, then drink, BUT, since you fubared up the batch, you must during this final week carefully wrap the bottles in bubble wrap and send to my site for disposal. This will prevent you from making this horrible mistake again. I will PM you the proper address to the warehouse.

Excellent, that is what i really hoped you would all say.

As for:

Relax. You're good to go. FWIW I don't measure the starting water, I just pour "some" in a pot.

Since the time you add the water does not super matter, I assume the only reason that they give a starting water volume would be so that you do not have too much hot wort added, that is, so you do not thermally shock the keg. OK, much less worried now.

+1 to everybody on the quick responses, Thanks a ton!