Mr.Beer Community
Sign in to follow this  
Knightmare

Getting the Shakes!

After some comments from some local brewmasters, I'm thinking of entering a couple of my brews into the National Homebrew Competition in KC. I've done some competitions and have actually won a couple of locals. I have a pretty good American Amber that I think could be a ringer. But I'm a little freaked out about this! This is playing with the big boys. If anything I will receive the best possible feedback from some great BJCP judges. The best in the land. I'm pretty sure I will submit just to see how I will fair in the first round. But it's got me feeling more nervous than a tree'd cat! Help me affirm my confidence. Or am I about to take too big of a step? Wow. I need to think about this I guess maybe. :blush:

Go for it! Might be a great learning experience, wish I was good enough to do it.

A good beer should score just as well at the NHC as it would at a local club contest.
Worst case, you know you're getting feedback from competent judges (which is still possible but not guaranteed at a small competition).
Go all in!!

Do it bro. What do you have to lose? Someone points out something that maybe you werent aware of? That wont hurt it will help. Not only that - you will learn what you may have done right, and lets face it - you will prolly win.

Go for it
jeff

Why not do it? Worst case you will learn what it is the big boys what you to change to make it better. And that can't be a bad thing.

Dive in Knightmare! If you're making award winning beer then you have every right to compete! It sounds like a fantastic learning experience if nothing else, but I'm sure you do great! Good luck!

I know your trepidation, Dave. I've been feeling it ever since I decided to enter my first competition, and it's only a local.

But even though you're going up against, the "Big Boys", as you put it, it's not the same as standing in against Tim Lincecum or substituting for Tom Brady. It's beer.

And the feedback you get will be better than winning anything.

Okay, look at it this way: NOT winning doesn't mean you LOST. You don't become the Buffalo Bills just because someone else got a higher score.

I say go for it, and good luck!

Go for it! What do you have to lose? At the very least, it will be a learning experience.

Go for it. Good luck and just enjoy yourself.

My LHBS owner is entering as that's part of his New Years Resolution. He's made quite an offer to get others to join in. Not sure what I'm going to do yet and may just wait until next year. My business gets busier soon and I'll want to start early next year.

http://brewstock.com/nationalhomebrew.html

Good on ya, everything will be great.

However, if you are not sure how your beer might stack up. I would be more than willing to try it and let you know. Better safe than sorry right? ;)

If you don't enter you'll miss out on a lot of valuable feedback and possibly winning the whole thing. Don't forget to give us details, it's always awesome having a Borg member take a win.

Alright. It's decided. I will be brewing A Touch of Rye Amber in the next week or two so I can submit it. Thanks for the encouragement from everyone! My friends and I love this beer. Its probably my best creation. And I've gotten great feedback from other brewers for this beer. So I'm rolling with it and it will be my entry. Brew time. It's on!

Guest System Admin

I'm thinking about entering, too. What the heck...I'll have a couple of beers that I feel good about ready at the right time.

Not every horse can enter the Kentucky Derby, but every homebrewer can enter the NHC!

Entries are pricey ($15 per entry for non-AHA members), so I may enter only one brew. But for the price, I guess you know you're probably getting cream-of-the-crop judges, thus receiving feedback that is as good as you can get.

http://www.homebrewersassociation.org/pages/competitions/national-homebrew-competition

"Gymrat" post=321440 said:

Tell me about this competition. That is right up the street.

Rodger. This is pretty much the Super Bowl of homebrew competitions. It's also the largest competition in the the world. The competition takes place at judging stations in 10 cities (+1 in Canada) and those that place in the top 3 with scores above 30 in each style advance to the final round at National Homebrew Conference.

http://www.homebrewersassociation.org/pages/competitions/national-homebrew-competition

I know I am a Noob-but I think you go for it! Nothing to lose and confidence, knowledge and experience to gain!
;)