Mr.Beer Community
Sign in to follow this  
bni

Head space ?

This weekend I will be brewing a coconut porter. It is one of my favorites. I have brewed it quite a few times. But always in 5 gallon batches.
My question is. Have any of you had problems with 2.5 gallon batches of porter in the LBK?

I really don't want a mess on my hands.

2.5 full gallons in the LBK is risking a mess regardless of the recipe.

No reason not to brew it though. Just put the LBK in an aluminum roasting pan and accept the mess! Its a good thing! lol

My 2.4ish gallon "Sort'r Porter" is starting to leak a bit. If it was 2.5, it's would be a big mess right now. It's not a high gravity beer by any means. And it just has a bit of steeped crystal and some Mr. Beer stuff in it. And I'm fermenting at the ultra low end of Mr. Beers DownUnda yeast range (although I did pitch a huge amount).

I'm right at 4 days into fermenting 2.5 gallons of English Brown Ale (OG 1.050) in an LBK. Pitched it with a whole 11g pack of rehydrated Nottingham, but did not aerate the wort.

Good thing I'm running this batch at a controlled steady 55F. It's been about an inch from the lid all day today, but it appears to have peaked. If I were doing this at 65+ degrees, I'd have had a blow-out for sure.

Perhaps cutting back on the yeast to 5g would be prudent if you are going to do 2.5 gallons at typical ale temps. Unless it's a big beer, that's all the MrMalty calculator says you need anyway.