Mr.Beer Community
Sign in to follow this  
Gizmo

Quick and easy Amber

Had planned a nice normal brewday for today with a full on BIAB Amber Ale, but ended up not being able to go to the LHBS yesterday due to taking my wife to the ER. She's fine, but long story short, I still want to do an amber, but don't have the time to do a full mash and cool down after I manage to get to the LHBS and home this afternoon. I went straight from MrB recipes to doing MrB+ to my BIAB, so never really worked out doing extracts, steeps and partials. I want to do a MrB sized wort then pour it in to the 1 gallon of cold water in the LBK, and want to make sure I'm not fudging the numbers and end up too watery. Can someone who's good at doing the whole 1+ gallon wort with extracts to 1ish gallon of cold water chime in on any issues you see with this recipe? Thanks

1.25 gallons water
0.5lb Crystal 60L steeped from fill up to boil (I may pause for 10 minutes at 155 if it's heating fast)
1.25lb Dark DME (have on hand, so money saver!)
1lb Amber DME

Boil
.5oz Amarillo 45mins
.25oz Amarillo 20mins
.25oz Amarillo 5mins

Add to 1 gallon cold water in LBK
S-05yeast

If i set up the recipe correctly in Hopville I'll get about 1.047OG and 32IBUs and a color about 13SRM, which all fit the style pretty much in the center. Did I miss something important that'll throw things out of whack?

EDITED to tweek hop ratios and boil time

RDWBAHB... relax, don't worry, brew a home brew :)

Sounds like it's all good. Add one of the DMEs (I would do the amber first since it's lighter) before your first hop addition, proceed w/ hop boil, then add the other DME with the last hop boil @ 5 mins. This should ensure that you get the color you're looking for. When you're done boiling and you cool the wort and add it to the LBK, just top it off to the 8.5 qt line. If it's at pitching temp, pitch your yeast and let them do their handy work :)

thanks! I figured it's all good, just wanted to make sure. About to head to the LHBS now.