Mr.Beer Community
Sign in to follow this  
Chance drums

need more yeast?

:cheers:
I had a begining gravity reading of 1.055. I THOUGHT I had enough yeast when only had 1/2. I pitched 6 grams of basic dry ale yeast when it calls for more.

Probem: the nearest store is over an hour away, I tried calling and ordering online and it will be too long before it gets here.

Do I need more yeast?

If I get it later can it be ok to pitch more later than 48 hours?

Any info will help
Chance :smash:

You should be fine. It may take a little longer for the fermentation to go full speed with half a packet of yeast, but it should still go. If you don't get anything going on in a couple days, then would worry about getting more yeast.

How big of a batch was this? That should be plenty for an LBK-sized batch with that gravity.

But, if you used 1/2 a packet that means you already used 1/2 pack before and stored this, right> IF so, when was that (how long has this yeast been opened).

Finally, what makes you think you need more yeast?

It is a lbk size batch.
Its been fermenting for a week and the gravity reading is 1.022.
the recipe was simple
3.3 lbs LME - Breiss Golden light
1 oz hallartau hops split in 1/2 oz sacks.
15 minute hop boil with 1/2 os hops
7 minute lme hop boil with the remaining 1/2 oz hops.
6 grams of basic ale yeast.
Based on the last gravity reading it seems I may need more yeast as it already seems done and inactive. I plan on letting it go for another 2 weeks fermenting. Again. Any help would be great...the reading says I need 11.5 grams of yeast and this stuff I had just does not seem to be real active anymore..... :chug:
Chance

If you didn't get the same reading two days in a row, it may have slowed down, but not stopped. Give it another week and take another reading. You may have a stuck fermentation, but there's no reason to act just yet.

Guest System Admin

Agreed. A lot of the time fermentation's happening at microscopic levels and you just can't "see" it.