Mr.Beer Community
Sign in to follow this  
66 charger

Expiration date on can.Does it matter if,

I am looking to buy a few HME's online, but the "best used by date" is 7/1/2103, Which to me means that these cans have been sitting aroung for likewhat, a year at least.. I don't want to make of batch of 'Ole skunk piss brew' and serve it to friends. So tell me what you think, and maybe how close to that date or after will be ok.

All I can say is "caveat emptor". Kind of depends how it was stored would be my guess. If it was stored in atemp control warehouse probably would be ok. If it was a real good deal and the cans weren't bulging or anything, I'd probabaly take a chance, if not I'd probabaly pass and get something fresher. From the for what it's worth file, when I was in the service we wer eating C-rats from Korea.

"66 charger" post=321589 said:

I am looking to buy a few HME's online, but the "best used by date" is 7/1/2103, Which to me means that these cans have been sitting aroung for likewhat, a year at least.. I don't want to make of batch of 'Ole skunk piss brew' and serve it to friends. So tell me what you think, and maybe how close to that date or after will be ok.

Sounds like the old HMEs that someone stocked up and now wants to get rid of. If you search the forum, you'll see discussions on using HMEs years after they expire - with the warning that the yeast may be less effective - or dead if exposed to high heat. Keep in mind that the old HMEs aren't as good as the new HMEs based on malt content, and the new Craft Series really blows them away (with even more malt).

The old HME supplier, "he who shall not be named", does exist out there.

"66 charger" post=321589 said:

Well if it's good until 2103 than its ok for your grand kids to brew...lol. I dont know if I'll serve anything to my friends w/o trying it myself first. If there only a few than you have 6 months before the best by date get brewing.

'Ole skunk piss brew'

That, I save for the in-laws. :evil:

If the can is not bulging or showing other signs of contamination, they brew it. Use new yeast and and DME addition instead of a booster and it should be fine.