Mr.Beer Community
Sign in to follow this  
Manowarfan1

2 cans of American Devil - what to do?

OK so I want to make a fairly simple quick & easy brew during the games today )(Let's go Birds - both of them). I will still steep or partial mash but that doesn't take much time as long as I remember to set the timer :)

So I grabbed a 2 pack of the old ADIPA cans at local liquor store, Have a bunch of different hops to throw in at the end (I remember people saying there isn't much in the way of finishing hops with these). I have sever or so pounds of Light DME so I can add a bit of malt to it, have a couple pounds of Crystal 40, some carapils etc.

I have done one batch with ADIPA before and have sampled a couple of those bottles so far. I believe I added a pound of DME (all i had on hand was wheat at the time), did some Summit (1 oz at 45 minutes 17.6 Alpha), and .5 oz of Columbus (13.9) at 20 & 7, According to QBrew this puts the IBU at like 171 lol.

I was looking at using up some of the older hops I have in the freezer (some Summit (17.6), Cascade (6.2) and Falconers Flight (10.5) but I do have lots of IPA type hops (Warrior, Chinook, Simcoe etc) if necessary.

So - how much of other items (malts, dme) would you use? Not trying to build an Imperial IPA, actually thinking more easy drinking, springtime & summertime tasty and a bit of a bite but properly balanced. That is my newest priority is achieving proper balance.

Those familiar with ADIPA and its hop character, what would you do to add to it?

Cheers
jeff

My suggestion is 1 lb light DME - Steep 8oz Carapils - Falconers Flight .3 of an oz 10 min & .3 for 5 min. Simcoe 1/2 oz for 5 min & DH the .4 of The Falconers & the other 1/2 oz of Simcoe for the last 7-10 days & you will have a great IPA. I've used the ADIPA a lot & it was my favorite Mr Beer mix. Cheers.

My first batch was the ADIPA straight up. After that batch I pretty much decided that I'm not a hop head. I'll bet that a steep, extra DME and a late hop addition would be good.

Let it brew!

:woohoo:

If you're still thinking about it, I would suggest a minimum of light DME + carapil steep + some hops. I'm not familiar with summit hops, but I have used Falconer's before with an ADIPA and it turned out excellent. I also agree with paying close attention to the finishing hops. I used Falconers for 15 min (0.5 oz), 5 min (0.25 oz) and dry hopped another 0.25 oz during fermentation - it turned out great. Happy brewing!

I have a great suggestion... Send one of those ADIPA cans to me! :whistle:

ADIPA turned out to be one of my best brews andall we did was use one can ADIPA and a pound of pale LME and no add'l hops...so for me and my ADIPA, I really enjoyed it after about an 8 week conditioning and getting better...did it with JoeC in late July and still have some left to enjoy and share.

T8r's 2 cents worth

"evily" post=323041 said:

I have a great suggestion... Send one of those ADIPA cans to me! :whistle:

Darn, you beat me to it, but I was going to ask for both.

If it were me....
I'd use both cans for 1 batch and make a double IPA.
Steep with carapils, dry hop with cascade. Probably would do 2 oz, but I'm a hop freak.

Mmm cascade....

Some good ideas in here but I didn't see them before brewing. Fortunately there are still some of the kits up at Cheers so I will probably grab a couple more of the ADIPA while they are 15 bucks. I ended up with:
2 cans American Devil IPA mix from Mr Beer
Steep 4 oz Crystal 40L
Add in 1 lb Light DME
Hops:
Summit (17.6) .5 oz 45 mins
Cascade (6.2) .5 oz at 20 and at 7
2 packs of Mr Beer yeast (as nutrient) and 1/2 Whirfloc tablet at 10 minutes
Rehydrate 1 pack (11g) of Danstar Nottingham Ale Yeast - pitched at 72F
OG - 1.054 @ 64F

So I didnt add carapils, I cut the 40L down to near nothing etc. I Did however remember to add the hops to the hops tab before doing the grains. At least the MrB hops, this made a big difference in the calculations on Qbrew I think.

In two weeks I will dry hop with either one of the C hops or Simcoe or Falconers (never used so not sure how it smells though so maybe not this one). Still shows 109 IBUs on Qbrew, and if everything works out as it is intended it should come in around 5.3% - a good springtime, summertime aBV level I would think. Could it be a tasty lawnmower beer? I could deal with a little bit of tart (almost like lemonade) after a long day of getting things set up at the new abode when I get there. Also, will have to re-familiarize myself with things like humidity, mosquitoes etc.

Already see some things to do on the next batch from the suggestions above so keep them coming.
Cheers
jeff

So I was at the Beer Supermarket getting some things for SWMBO visit tomorrow - and grabbed another 2 pack of the ADIPA HME. Was originally going to get a couple of the High Country Canadian but realized there is only one can in the pack (all old Mr Beer refills are 14.99 - so I am buyingonly the ones with 2 cans in them :) - was going to try to make the Ptarmigan Pale Ale I saw on Screwy's website again - as I remember it was pretty good.

Looking for a somewhat session-y spring and summer ale. Was contemplating doing this ADIPA again stright up with maybe 1 pound of dried malt extract, a little bit of a carapils steep and some late/finishing hops. But I have one or two like that or very similar to that conditioning now. Anyone who did this either straight up or really changed it up?

I would probably be considered a hop head (dont mind really high IUs) but I could handle a good pale ale style/level brew - along the lines of a Sierra Nevada etc.

Any recommendations?
Cheers
jeff

I purchased the last 3 cans of ADIPA during the clearance sale I think for 4-5 bucks a can - I can't remember exactly. I am looking for a cheap beer with no extra cost than the cost of the HME's. I am going brew all 3 cans like a seasonal. I have .5 ounces of Northern Brewer Hops in the freezer so I am going to split it and do a 20 and 7 minute boil - commando. I don't have any DME on hand so I am going to the boil with some booster I have had laying around for about a year. I know I should use DME, however, this is a cheap beer and we will see what happens.

Brew on!!!! :chug: