Mr.Beer Community
Sign in to follow this  
DetroitBrew

Adding the Yeast

So i have one batch bottled and conditioning right now and have my 2nd and 3rd batches fermenting. My question is...when you boil the 4 cups of water at the beginning, add you HME and then add that to you LBK with more water, is it bad to add your yeast to your LBK right away or do you need to let your wort cool down? I stirred my wort around pretty good in the LBK for all 3 batches and then added my yeast within five minutes so it didn't really cool down but was still super hot. Let me know if i screwed up or if im ok? Thanks just dont want to mess up these first 3 batches. Want to do everything right and enjoy some great homebrew. Thanks guys and Brew on!!

:chug:

As long as you've been using refrigerated water in the LBK before you pour the wort in and then top off with more refrigerated water, then it'll be low enough in temp to pitch. If you've just been using room temp water, the wort may have been too hot to pitch the yeast, and they may have kicked it. In any case, just keep an eye out for krausen above the wort and trub at the base of the LBK. If ya got those, your yeast is fermenting and you're making beer.

"DetroitBrew" post=322913 said:

So i have one batch bottled and conditioning right now and have my 2nd and 3rd batches fermenting. My question is...when you boil the 4 cups of water at the beginning, add you HME and then add that to you LBK with more water, is it bad to add your yeast to your LBK right away or do you need to let your wort cool down? I stirred my wort around pretty good in the LBK for all 3 batches and then added my yeast within five minutes so it didn't really cool down but was still super hot. Let me know if i screwed up or if im ok? Thanks just dont want to mess up these first 3 batches. Want to do everything right and enjoy some great homebrew. Thanks guys and Brew on!!

This is probably the mistake made by most new brewers, including myself, until they realize the importance of having healthy yeast when brewing any beer. I brewed a few batches early on without even owning a thermometer or a hydrometer since the directions that came with the kit didn't require them and there was hardly any information about yeast. Advancing to the next brewing level includes buying a few measuring tools and researching a little further on what their role is in producing a great tasting beer everytime.

Be safe, cool the wort before putting it in the LBK. You don't want to fry the yeasties. With a 4 cup boil, it isn't hard. I put my brew pot in the sink with two trays of ice cubes and cold water. It cools down to under 100F within ten minutes. I the pour the wort into 1 gallon of refrigerated spring water and add room temp (don't have room in the fridge for two gallons) spring water to the 8 mark. Then mix it a bit. The thermometer on my LBK is in the optimal zone doing that. So you can add the yeasties without fear of killing them off.

Depending on how hot your wort was...the best case scenario would be a lag in the fermentation. For example, the optimum fermentation temp on a yeast may be between 65-75...if you're pitching the yeast when the temp of the wort is near 90 or 100...well, if you don't kill it, you as certainly going to take longer to see fermentation start that had you pitched the yeast closer to 70 degrees.

High temps will stress yeast if they don't kill it. Just as warm fermentation temps can produce a lot of esters.

"Screwy Brewer" post=323135 said:

This is probably the mistake made by most new brewers, including myself, until they realize the importance of having healthy yeast when brewing any beer. I brewed a few batches early on without even owning a thermometer or a hydrometer since the directions that came with the kit didn't require them and there was hardly any information about yeast. Advancing to the next brewing level includes buying a few measuring tools and researching a little further on what their role is in producing a great tasting beer everytime.

+1 what S.B. says.

One thing you can do to help yourself at this point is to chill your add-in water to almost freezing before pouring it into the LBK. Putting your brew pot into an ice bath in the kitchen sink (clean and sanitize it first) helps too.

The batches that you started "super hot", you'll just have to see how they turn out. They might taste funny due to the unwanted chemicals that yeast throws off when the temps are too high.

Don't worry. We've all made our brewing mistakes, hopefully learn from them, and move on. If you buy a thermometer and a hydrometer, you'll have more control over the process and get ready for the next level.

thanks guys for the replies. Damn well at least i only did it to 3 batches but im hoping they turn out ok or at least drinkable. Ill be really pissed if i cant even drink them. I wait 2 months to drink something that i cant and then have to pour them out, that would be a bummer. Yeah ive been trying to make time and find a great LHBS that i can purchase a hydrometer and thermometer. I guess its a beginner mistake.

Real Quick...SO after boiling the water, i stir in the HME and whatever i add to that, stir that all up real well and then ice it down in the sink?

And another thing cuz i was talking to my wife about this last night and she said thats BS cuz MB instructions and DVD never said anything about cooling down before adding the yeast. So like i said i hope my batches turn out and this is a learning mistake, thanks guys and Brew on!!!