Jump to content
Mr.Beer Community
Sign in to follow this  
T3kiz

Flat but amazing!

Recommended Posts

Bottled my first batch tonight! :banana: Following Borg advice, I emptied the first couple of ounces to clear out the spigot after cold crashing. Classic American Light is certainly not a style that I would drink normally, but dammit if it wasn't about the best beer that I'd ever tasted! Got it bottled without a hitch and now have it stored in a cooler, in the bottom of a closet. Im not a patient person but after tasting my flat beer, Im glad I waited the 3 weeks and then cold crashed. Cant wait to try it next month! Many, Many thanks to the Borg! :cheers: :barman:

Also, any suggestion as to another option to stir with in the LBK? The spoon that I used scratched the bottom of my LBK all to hell. Was thinking like a rubber tipped spoon or a rubber/plastic whisk.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

You'll need to replace the LBK. The scratches will harbor nasties that will result in infected beer. A rubber or silicone spatula will work fine, as long as it is sanitized, or stir a bit less vigorously and keep the spoon away from the sides and bottom of the LBK. Glad to hear your first batch tastes great. I'll be bottling my first one next weekend.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Right on it is always exciting doing your 1st batch. Like said above you will need to replace the LBK as it is now destroyed. You might get lucky if you contact MrB and let them know about your misfortune, they might send ya a new one, their customer service is bar none.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
Guest

Nice job. Now, get a new LBK, or a 3 gallon better bottle, it's neat to watch the yeasties do the mombo.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Well thats quite aggravating. I did send Mr. Beer customer service an email, but Im really not expecting much in terms of a response other than "Shit happens". They are having a sale on the LBKs so I'll be picking up a couple of them next weekend, as well as a new, silicone tipped spoon. Still excited that my first batch came out good, just means that I have to wait a couple of weeks before I can start my next 2.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
Guest

What I use to stir the wort/aeriate it is a good stainless steel wisk. Just don't bang the sides/bottom. It works good.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

I use a sanitized metal spoon for stirring the wort in the boil pot. Once it goes in the keg I use a sanitized rubber wisk. I wisk the hell out of it and get a good frothy layer going right after I pitch the yeast.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

I actually came across my immersion blender a few minutes ago and think, if I can sanitize it correctly, I might give that a try. It has a guard around the blades and even if I were to set it on the bottom, they wouldnt touch anything but wort. I will do the whisk thing though. I'll have to try and find a rubber one whenever I get my new kegs. They should put a note in the instructions that say not to hit the sides or bottom with anything, just for people like me who dont give it a second thought.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

"stevecon" post=323081 said:

Right on it is always exciting doing your 1st batch. Like said above you will need to replace the LBK as it is now destroyed. You might get lucky if you contact MrB and let them know about your misfortune, they might send ya a new one, their customer service is bar none.

Stevecon, you couldnt have been more correct about Mr.Beer's customer service! I just checked an email from one of their Beermasters saying they will send me a new keg at no cost, all I had to do was provide them with a picture of the scratched keg. It might have taken a week, but I couldnt be happier right now!

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

"NDR" post=328761 said:

"stevecon" post=323081 said:

Right on it is always exciting doing your 1st batch. Like said above you will need to replace the LBK as it is now destroyed. You might get lucky if you contact MrB and let them know about your misfortune, they might send ya a new one, their customer service is bar none.

Stevecon, you couldnt have been more correct about Mr.Beer's customer service! I just checked an email from one of their Beermasters saying they will send me a new keg at no cost, all I had to do was provide them with a picture of the scratched keg. It might have taken a week, but I couldnt be happier right now!


Thats awesome. Lets here it for Mr. Beer.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

First if you bleach or peroxide solution to sanitize the LBK you should be alright, but if in doubt replace it. To avoid the situation you just had I did full volume boils with liquid or rehydrated yeast. When the yeast is poured in first and the wort thru a strainer. You avoid scratching the LBK, aerate the wort and mix it all at the same time.

:cheers: :cheers:

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

"haerbob3" post=328783 said:

First if you bleach or peroxide solution to sanitize the LBK you should be alright, but if in doubt replace it. To avoid the situation you just had I did full volume boils with liquid or rehydrated yeast. When the yeast is poured in first and the wort thru a strainer. You avoid scratching the LBK, aerate the wort and mix it all at the same time.

:cheers: :cheers:

I will definitely have to give that I try! I just plan on tossing the LBk, but I'm holding on to the spigot and lid, just in case. Im sticking with rehydrated for the time being until Im more comfortable with brewing but liquid is something I definitely plan on using in the near future. Thanks for the tip Haer!
:cheers: :barman:

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

"meytchison" post=328776 said:

Thats awesome. Lets here it for Mr. Beer.

Absolutely! They are definitely alright in my book! :banana:

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

"NDR" post=328761 said:

"stevecon" post=323081 said:

Right on it is always exciting doing your 1st batch. Like said above you will need to replace the LBK as it is now destroyed. You might get lucky if you contact MrB and let them know about your misfortune, they might send ya a new one, their customer service is bar none.

Stevecon, you couldnt have been more correct about Mr.Beer's customer service! I just checked an email from one of their Beermasters saying they will send me a new keg at no cost, all I had to do was provide them with a picture of the scratched keg. It might have taken a week, but I couldnt be happier right now!

Right freaking on, MB plays nice like that. :banana:

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Create an account or sign in to comment

You need to be a member in order to leave a comment

Create an account

Sign up for a new account in our community. It's easy!

Register a new account

Sign in

Already have an account? Sign in here.

Sign In Now
Sign in to follow this  

×
×
  • Create New...