Mr.Beer Community
Sign in to follow this  
T3kiz

Flat but amazing!

Bottled my first batch tonight! :banana: Following Borg advice, I emptied the first couple of ounces to clear out the spigot after cold crashing. Classic American Light is certainly not a style that I would drink normally, but dammit if it wasn't about the best beer that I'd ever tasted! Got it bottled without a hitch and now have it stored in a cooler, in the bottom of a closet. Im not a patient person but after tasting my flat beer, Im glad I waited the 3 weeks and then cold crashed. Cant wait to try it next month! Many, Many thanks to the Borg! :cheers: :barman:

Also, any suggestion as to another option to stir with in the LBK? The spoon that I used scratched the bottom of my LBK all to hell. Was thinking like a rubber tipped spoon or a rubber/plastic whisk.

You'll need to replace the LBK. The scratches will harbor nasties that will result in infected beer. A rubber or silicone spatula will work fine, as long as it is sanitized, or stir a bit less vigorously and keep the spoon away from the sides and bottom of the LBK. Glad to hear your first batch tastes great. I'll be bottling my first one next weekend.

Right on it is always exciting doing your 1st batch. Like said above you will need to replace the LBK as it is now destroyed. You might get lucky if you contact MrB and let them know about your misfortune, they might send ya a new one, their customer service is bar none.

Nice job. Now, get a new LBK, or a 3 gallon better bottle, it's neat to watch the yeasties do the mombo.

Well thats quite aggravating. I did send Mr. Beer customer service an email, but Im really not expecting much in terms of a response other than "Shit happens". They are having a sale on the LBKs so I'll be picking up a couple of them next weekend, as well as a new, silicone tipped spoon. Still excited that my first batch came out good, just means that I have to wait a couple of weeks before I can start my next 2.

What I use to stir the wort/aeriate it is a good stainless steel wisk. Just don't bang the sides/bottom. It works good.

I use a sanitized metal spoon for stirring the wort in the boil pot. Once it goes in the keg I use a sanitized rubber wisk. I wisk the hell out of it and get a good frothy layer going right after I pitch the yeast.

I actually came across my immersion blender a few minutes ago and think, if I can sanitize it correctly, I might give that a try. It has a guard around the blades and even if I were to set it on the bottom, they wouldnt touch anything but wort. I will do the whisk thing though. I'll have to try and find a rubber one whenever I get my new kegs. They should put a note in the instructions that say not to hit the sides or bottom with anything, just for people like me who dont give it a second thought.

"stevecon" post=323081 said:

Right on it is always exciting doing your 1st batch. Like said above you will need to replace the LBK as it is now destroyed. You might get lucky if you contact MrB and let them know about your misfortune, they might send ya a new one, their customer service is bar none.

Stevecon, you couldnt have been more correct about Mr.Beer's customer service! I just checked an email from one of their Beermasters saying they will send me a new keg at no cost, all I had to do was provide them with a picture of the scratched keg. It might have taken a week, but I couldnt be happier right now!

"NDR" post=328761 said:

Stevecon, you couldnt have been more correct about Mr.Beer's customer service! I just checked an email from one of their Beermasters saying they will send me a new keg at no cost, all I had to do was provide them with a picture of the scratched keg. It might have taken a week, but I couldnt be happier right now!

Thats awesome. Lets here it for Mr. Beer.

First if you bleach or peroxide solution to sanitize the LBK you should be alright, but if in doubt replace it. To avoid the situation you just had I did full volume boils with liquid or rehydrated yeast. When the yeast is poured in first and the wort thru a strainer. You avoid scratching the LBK, aerate the wort and mix it all at the same time.

:cheers: :cheers:

"haerbob3" post=328783 said:

First if you bleach or peroxide solution to sanitize the LBK you should be alright, but if in doubt replace it. To avoid the situation you just had I did full volume boils with liquid or rehydrated yeast. When the yeast is poured in first and the wort thru a strainer. You avoid scratching the LBK, aerate the wort and mix it all at the same time.

:cheers: :cheers:

I will definitely have to give that I try! I just plan on tossing the LBk, but I'm holding on to the spigot and lid, just in case. Im sticking with rehydrated for the time being until Im more comfortable with brewing but liquid is something I definitely plan on using in the near future. Thanks for the tip Haer!
:cheers: :barman:

"meytchison" post=328776 said:

Thats awesome. Lets here it for Mr. Beer.

Absolutely! They are definitely alright in my book! :banana:

"NDR" post=328761 said:

Right freaking on, MB plays nice like that. :banana: