Mr.Beer Community
Sign in to follow this  
1towerman

Steeping oatmeal

Planning on making an oatmeal stout, can someone outline how to properly steep the oatmeal? Has anyone made oatmeal stout before? Thanks!

I've not done oatmeal, but from what I've heard, it has to be mashed? research...

I steeped oatmeal for the 1st time just this past weekend for an oatmeal stout.

I steeped 2 cups of rolled oats in a nylon steeping/dry hopping bag @ 160 degrees F for 30 mins. Based on the very viscus liquid left behind I'm sure I'll add some great mouth feel to my stout.

I went with the rolled oats as many people here have said that regular instant oatmeal (powered stuff) make a real mess. Rolled worked out great for me, but I'll have to wait a few months for the results :laugh:

I've done the little bags of PLAIN (NOT strawberries and cream or other flavored ones) instant oatmeal in a couple stouts. It doesn't really add fermentables since it's not mashed, but steeping will add a silky mouthfeel and some flavor.

Steep around 150-160 for 30 mins as suggested in grain sack (just like a hop sack but bigger, my LHBS sells them) or whatever you want to use.

I used 4 bags (1oz each) for a LBK sized batch and 8 for a 5gal. For the 5gal I toasted half and left half as is. This did add a some nice toasty notes to the finished brew.

Flaked or rolled oats will not add fermentables even if they are mashed. Steeping is fine for them. All you are going for is the creamy mouthfeel. They do accomplish that but they don't change the taste or alcohol content in any way.

"Gymrat" post=324297 said:

Flaked or rolled oats will not add fermentables even if they are mashed. Steeping is fine for them. All you are going for is the creamy mouthfeel. They do accomplish that but they don't change the taste or alcohol content in any way.

Actually that's not true, Flaked or rolled oats contain gelatenized starches which can be converted to sugars. Because it's an unmalted grain it must be mashed with a malted grain for conversion to take place. Here is a break down and a repeat of what I just wrote:

Flaked OatsWhat it does :
Flaked oats provide little aroma and flavor contribution to your beer. However, because of the high gum and protein content, using flaked oats increases your beer’s body and smoothness. It can also increase the haze potential. You can use it to make Belgian and French Ales and Stouts.

What it is:
These are oats that have been steamed and rolled to gelatinize their starches, making them accessible for conversion to sugars. Because the grain is un-malted, it does not possess the enzymes required for this conversion by itself and it must be mashed with malted grains.

Vital Statistics

--------------------------------------------------------------------------------
Color (Lovibond):

Specific Gravity (SG):

--------------------------------------------------------------------------------

Dosage:
Flaked oats can be up to 10 percent of your grist.

Interested in this topic as well. Trying to piece this together.. from what I gather, there are two schools of thought, both are correct in a way. Depending on what you are going for:

Mouthfeel/body: requires steep only.

Alcohol content: requires mashing with malted grains.

"Gluek" post=324333 said:

Interested in this topic as well. Trying to piece this together.. from what I gather, there are two schools of thought, both are correct in a way. Depending on what you are going for:

Mouthfeel/body: requires steep only.

Alcohol content: requires mashing with malted grains.

Yep that is correct! :)

"k9dude" post=324325 said:

"Gymrat" post=324297 said:

Actually that's not true, Flaked or rolled oats contain gelatenized starches which can be converted to sugars. Because it's an unmalted grain it must be mashed with a malted grain for conversion to take place. Here is a break down and a repeat of what I just wrote:

Flaked OatsWhat it does :
Flaked oats provide little aroma and flavor contribution to your beer. However, because of the high gum and protein content, using flaked oats increases your beer’s body and smoothness. It can also increase the haze potential. You can use it to make Belgian and French Ales and Stouts.

What it is:
These are oats that have been steamed and rolled to gelatinize their starches, making them accessible for conversion to sugars. Because the grain is un-malted, it does not possess the enzymes required for this conversion by itself and it must be mashed with malted grains.

Vital Statistics

Color (Lovibond):

Specific Gravity (SG):

Dosage:
Flaked oats can be up to 10 percent of your grist.

I stand corrected