Mr.Beer Community
Sign in to follow this  
andy73

api ipa

"FrozenInTime" post=323880 said:

"andy73" post=323849 said:

has anyone brewed the api ipa

api?

It's just a play on words/ accronym from the technology world. API = Application Programming Interface. The API IPA recipe is HERE

I have not brewed this recipe before. Though Centennial & Columbus Hops are pretty common in many IPA's and Ales. Depending on how bitter you want your brew, will best determine at what times your hop additions would be to your liking.

I would recomend using the Columbus for your bittering hops, as it has a higher (14-17% AA) over the Centennial -- Which is around 8-11% AA. Perhaps going with the Columbus at anywhere from 30 minutes to a 45 minutes, for bitterness. As the "as is" Mr Beer recipe already gives it a 99 IBU from their site. Then the Centennial at 7 minutes for aroma, would turn out a good IPA as per the Mr. Beer recipe.

You may not want to even go as far as 45 minutes using the Columbus as your bittering hops. As I said earlier, the recipe itself is already listed at a 99 IBU flavouring profile. The instructions (per the site) do not call for any hops boil.

Your call of course and I am sure others whill chime in on this as well. And by the way, welcome to the forums :borg:

Thanks FB, looked at it. Guess I'm gonna have to go look at all the new recipes. Only thing I'm gonna say... for a 2.13 gallon batch... WOW, is that a touch spendy....LOL Won't see me doing that one, I've just kegged a dayum tastey 5 gallon batch, have bout $26 in it.

"FrozenInTime" post=323951 said:

Thanks FB, looked at it. Guess I'm gonna have to go look at all the new recipes. Only thing I'm gonna say... for a 2.13 gallon batch... WOW, is that a touch spendy....LOL Won't see me doing that one, I've just kegged a dayum tastey 5 gallon batch, have bout $26 in it.

Agreed. Some of the extract batches can be pricey. AG batches, when brewers are ready, can be lower priced. Depending on what you are doing and what size (bulk) you are buying your grain bills in.