Mr.Beer Community
Sign in to follow this  
BrowncoatMal

Carbonation: Soft PET bottles after 10 days?

Hi All,

I bottle a brew about 11 days ago and the PET bottles are not even close to rock hard. Carbonation has never taken this long before... Is it because I cold crashed for a week? Possibly taking the yeast out of suspension?

Of note, the very last bottle I filled, which has a bit of trub, does feel hard like it carbonated.

Would the next step be cracking the bottles and adding a few specs of dry yeast?

Don't crack them open to add yeast. You'll lose the carb that's built up so far.

My last batch was flat at two weeks.
Week three mildly carbonated.
Week four was just about there.

None of them made it to week five but I feel that particular batch could've gone to at least six weeks.

Also, my trub bottles carbonated the quickest.

"BrowncoatMal" post=323956 said:

Hi All,

I bottle a brew about 11 days ago and the PET bottles are not even close to rock hard. Carbonation has never taken this long before... Is it because I cold crashed for a week? Possibly taking the yeast out of suspension?

Of note, the very last bottle I filled, which has a bit of trub, does feel hard like it carbonated.

Would the next step be cracking the bottles and adding a few specs of dry yeast?

Wait the 4weeks, I had the same problem they will firm up.

Can take up to 2 weeks to build pressure and more to actually force the CO2 into the beer.

4 weeks, dude. 4 weeks.

This is kind of like saying, "I planted a tree in April and now it's May and it's only 4 inches tall....what is wrong?" The answer is the same......not giving it enough time to do its thing.

4 weeks it is! I also put less priming sugar in this batch compared to my past straight Mr. Beer recipes. I followed screwy brewers tool on his site.

I did just check the bottles and there is some trub developing on the bottom. So if yeasties are poop'in they're eat'in. Which means there be bobbles in the bottle.

Thanks guys!

:chug: