Mr.Beer Community
Sign in to follow this  
JonP

glue for labels

What do you use to attach labels to your bottles? I printed some using plain paper and used some office supply roll-on glue which left a sticky mess on the PET bottle. Any advice will be greatly appreciated.

I have used address labels printed with brew info. they peel off fairly easily. I read somewhere that simple glue sticks work well on standard paper labels...but I haven't tried it.

I use Elmer' s school glue with plain paper. Sticks to the bottle and is water soluble comes off clean and easy.

I only use glass bottles, so I can't address how well things work with PET bottles, but I'll pass along what I do anyway.

For my Mr. Beer recipes, I use self-adhesive mailing labels and just write the name of the brew and the bottling date on them with a Sharpie. They come off okay after soaking in hot water and OxyClean Free for a couple hours.

For my original 5-gallon batches, I design them via an online label site and print a test sheet (six labels per sheet). Then I take them to Office Depot and have laser-printer copies made so the ink won't run if they get wet. I cut them out (which is tedious, but this is a labor of lurve) and then apply them by brushing milk on the back of the labels with a pastry brush. Sounds crazy, I know, but it works, and the labels come off after a very brief soak in just hot water.

Thanks everybody! I like the milk suggestion. I'll give it a try.

I use a fine tip silver paint pen, and put the info on my black bottle caps.

Milk works great on glass bottles, but DOES NOT WORK ON PET. You've been warned.

+1 to Avery "repositionable" or "removable" labels.

If you 1) use glass bottles and 2) print from a laser printer, then I highly recommend using milk. It is the easiest way to get labels printed on plain paper to adhere to the bottles. I've tried it before and it works great. You'll need to print from a laser printer, otherwise the ink will run.

EDIT: For best results, you should print from a laser printer. You may still get by with an inkjet if you are careful.

See video below:

That's what I've heard, use milk. I don't have access to a lazer printer so have not tried it.

"russki" post=324454 said:

Milk works great on glass bottles, but DOES NOT WORK ON PET. You've been warned.

+1 to Avery "repositionable" or "removable" labels.

Sounds like the voice of experience, and russki is right on a bunch of other stuff, so I'd take his word for it. As I said, I've never used PET bottles.

Thanks for all the replies and BIG thank you for the video! I have been harvesting glass bottles for my next batch (hard work but somebody's got to do it) which is due up on Sunday!