Mr.Beer Community
Sign in to follow this  
Randy1640

Minimal Carbonation.

I've followed the instructions to the letter. This is my second batch of fail beer. I have one more beer to brew. If this one fails. it's going into the garbage and I'm off to find a better system.

I open the bottles, I get minimal noise, and the beer is almost flat after even 2 weeks of sitting. I've brewed at the correct temperatures and used the correct amount of sugar to load the bottles.

About to give up. Anyone else have this consistently low performance of the mr. beer system?

Thanks for any tips.

Randy1640

My suggestion in my limited time of brewing is to let it set for another week. I've had beer that was carbonated at 2 weeks but most of my batches weren't ready for another week.

"Randy1640" post=324215 said:

I've followed the instructions to the letter. This is my second batch of fail beer. I have one more beer to brew. If this one fails. it's going into the garbage and I'm off to find a better system.

I open the bottles, I get minimal noise, and the beer is almost flat after even 2 weeks of sitting. I've brewed at the correct temperatures and used the correct amount of sugar to load the bottles.

About to give up. Anyone else have this consistently low performance of the mr. beer system?

Thanks for any tips.

Randy1640

I had exactly the same problem with the Classic American Light my first batch. I left it on shelf for 2 more weeks and carbed. up nicely. Total shelf time 4 weeks not the 2 MRB says.

Yeah, what they said. The remaining yeast do start fermenting the priming sugar right away, and giving off CO2, but it takes a while for the gas to be reabsorbed into the liquid, so you really need to give it more time.

Also, I know the Mr. Beer instructions say "Beer in two weeks", but we've covered that extensively here in the forums. Perhaps to its own detriment, Mr. Beer markets their product this way, and we try to spin it the other way via our personal experience, or at least say that you'll have better beer by waiting longer. But I'm a little rankled by you saying if this doesn't work, you're going to find a better system.

The system is fine (even with the somewhat misleading marketing). The LBK is not flawed. The HMEs are not flawed. If you went with another brewing system and only waited two weeks after bottling, you'd be getting the same results. I don't want to seem as though I'm picking on you, but the truth can sometimes feel like a blunt instrument, and I'm not going to be coy. It's not the system, it's your own impatience (unless you missed all the posts recently saying to wait at least four weeks after bottling). If the Mr. Beer system didn't work, why would all the rest of us still be using it to one extent or another? We're making beer that lives up to our expectations; even exceeds those expectations, at times. The only difference between our system and yours is the procedures.

Wait two more weeks and then report back.

Agree with what everyone else has recommended. At least 4 weeks!
Also, make sure you are not conditioning in too cool an area. Room temp, around 70F, seems to do best in my experiences!

The Mr. Beer LBK is just a vessel for fermenting. The rest depends on what was already mentioned. I have no idea what Mr. Beer execs are drinking, but probably not their own kits.

"FedoraDave" post=324221 said:

The system is fine (even with the somewhat misleading marketing). The LBK is not flawed. The HMEs are not flawed. If you went with another brewing system and only waited two weeks after bottling, you'd be getting the same results. I don't want to seem as though I'm picking on you, but the truth can sometimes feel like a blunt instrument, and I'm not going to be coy. It's not the system, it's your own impatience (unless you missed all the posts recently saying to wait at least four weeks after bottling). If the Mr. Beer system didn't work, why would all the rest of us still be using it to one extent or another? We're making beer that lives up to our expectations; even exceeds those expectations, at times. The only difference between our system and yours is the procedures.

+1. Agree completely. There's nothing wrong with the Mr Beer system. If you do the same rushed steps with another system, you will get the same result. Patience is key here. Give it more time, and I think you will find your beer will be nicely carbonated.

Let's confirm some information - how much sugar are you using and what bottles are you using for your beer?

ALSO, how many weeks is it in the LBK for?

These questions will help us to figure out why your beer is not carbonating correctly.

I noticed you mentioned correct brewing temperature, but not what temperature your leaving the bottle at.

If they are colder it will take them longer to carbonate.
If you already know this, sorry just trying to cover any possibility.

You probably need to give them more time.

Nothing wrong with the system. The system is as simple as it gets and yeast don't have much in the area of smarts. Put them in the right environment with enough food to consume and they do what yeast does best, eat, poop and reproduce. It's the same whether they are in a $150.00 custom made glass carboy, $300,000 custom made stainless steel fermenter or a $10.00 LBK. I've even used a milk jug to ferment wine before (not recommended). My point is, if you aren't getting carbonation or fermentation it's one of three things, lack of nutrition for the yeast (sugars), too low of temperature (yeast dormant or dead) or third, yeast needs more time to do it's deed. Given the simplicity and quality of the MB refills and recipes (unlessyou've purchased old HME online or through a merchant) then my money is on the time. Like others have said, give it more time, especially if you are bottle conditioning at ower temps. :barman:

"FedoraDave" post=324221 said:

Yeah, what they said. The remaining yeast do start fermenting the priming sugar right away, and giving off CO2, but it takes a while for the gas to be reabsorbed into the liquid, so you really need to give it more time.

Also, I know the Mr. Beer instructions say "Beer in two weeks", but we've covered that extensively here in the forums. Perhaps to its own detriment, Mr. Beer markets their product this way, and we try to spin it the other way via our personal experience, or at least say that you'll have better beer by waiting longer. But I'm a little rankled by you saying if this doesn't work, you're going to find a better system.

It wasn't a problem with impatience; though there are always forum stalkers who feel better about themselves speaking to others in a condescending tone, I was merely following instructions and not getting the results I was told.

I'm going to give it more time after reading posts from others who stay on topic and not turn discussions about brewing beer into a personal attack.

Thanks to the rest of you for you friendly advice. I'll simply let it sit for a few more weeks.

Make sure you really tighten the caps on the bottles. I know that when I screw on the cap and it fells tight I can crank it about 1/4 turn more if I really try. And as others have said carb and condition at about 70 degrees and you should be okay.

I've had really good carbonation after a week but after the first batch I wait for 2 weeks to test the trub bottle and the another week for a second test and after 4 weeks I just drink them.

Don't give up because the system does work and the beer is the best.

LOL

FedoraDave hurt someone's feelings? Are you fracking kidding me?? OMG - he's like the nicest and most patient one on here!!

Holy fracken shit, I guess you don't even want an answer from me but you're going to get one anyway.....:evil:

This is like an analogy I made the other day. I gardner planted a seedling in April and then in May says, "I planted a tree in April and now it's only 6 inches tall.....what went wrong??"

Nothing.........other than that the gardner has not given the tree enough time to grow properly.

After all of the collective brewing knowledge was assembled in this forum, the common thought is that it takes 4 weeks to properly carb & condition MrBeer batches.

I read Dave's post three times and it is not a personal attack and he is not a "forum stalker." We just get tired of nOObs coming in here and saying that MrBeer is a bad product while ignoring their own shortcomings. MrBeer is not a bad product.....and the problem.......95% of the time....is User Error.

Lighten up, Francis. (Stripes, 1981)

For my next act, I'm going to indulge in some jackassery and dissect your post line by line:

I've followed the instructions to the letter. This is my second batch of fail beer. Consider the term "User Error" in your analysis. I have one more beer to brew. If this one fails. it's going into the garbage and I'm off to find a better system. So with all of 3 whole batches under your nOOb belt, you are going to come into a forum that supports MrBeer's products and disrepect a system that's been proven to work (if you do it right) and then stomp off to go find some other type of system. Maybe when your shiny new "system" also fails to produce good beer you'll realize that it may be you that is causing the "problem."

I open the bottles, I get minimal noise, and the beer is almost flat after even 2 weeks of sitting. Two weeks isn't enough time to fully carbonate and condition the beer. Even with "big boy" kits which will run you about $150 to $200. I've brewed at the correct temperatures and used the correct amount of sugar to load the bottles. None of that really matters if you're popping open green beers that aren't ready.

About to give up. Anyone else have this consistently low performance of the mr. beer system? No, we don't. We follow a system of "3 - 4" in here and the majority of us produce damn good beer with MrBeer products. Stick around and learn how to do it. The "3" means 3 weeks in the fermenter and "4" is weeks carbing and conditioning at room temperture before any bottles ever go into a fridge.

:-) Ok now I'm going to go back to being a nice guy.

Cheers!

Randy1640,

Speaking as a n00b myself the hardest lesson I had to learn when I started on this quest of beer brewing was, Patience. It was hard. I'm a really impatient person. And yes I still perv the keg every once and a while :blush: BUT it was a very good lesson learned.

Additionally everyone who contributes to this forum has always been very kind and always willing to help. Even if that means repeating that same answers on duplicate posts. The idea is help everyone. And thats why I keep coming back.

I have learned more from digging though 4 years worth of posts here than I have from any Beer Making book. These folks are the best.

Now I will agree that Mr. Beer's marketing is BS. 2-2-2 is especially BS. However, it was enough of an initial hook to get me into brewing, and for that I'm thankful.

Hang in there and stick with it because there is no feeling better in the world then cracking open your own home brew, taking a sip and saying to yourself, "Holy crap, I made beer!"

"Randy1640" post=324215 said:

Thanks for any tips.

Randy1640

Hey Randy I'm a noob also. what they are saying is right. I had this same problem with my first batch, drinking it now. Opened one after the 2 keg 2 carb. 2 conditioning in fridge was up, low carb.. Put back on shelf room temp. for 2 weeks and they are fine. MRB is just trying to get people to buy thinking they can get homemade beer fast. Well they can, it is beer just almost flat. The good stuff takes longer, so let set another 2 weeks at least and 4 would be better for the over all taste of the beer. Your next batch might I suggest instead of 222 use 3 weeks lbk 4 weeks carbonation/conditioning at room temp (at least 4, 6 would be better). Pop the appropriate number in the fridg as needed. Try to save 1 bottle on shelf 'till the 6th week has passed just to see how that one tastes.
If your determined to go, well if you haven't yet, go to howtobrew.com and read it's free and remember the lbk will make a 2.5 gal batch. your LHBS probably carries 5 gal extracts silimliar to MRB and they might split it in to 2.5 gal batches for you.
I know how frustrated I was when mine wasn't carbed up, can't even imagine what that'd be like x3. That'd be enough to PO the Pope. :) but your wrong about the Hat.

Thanks for the heads up guys!!!! I was only one week away from disappointment! I will wait two more and will try to endure the impatience. I just wanna try my first batch grrrrrrr!

I would say, spend some more time going over all the posts here before accusing someone of being a troll or take what was posted by a OG brewer as a personal attack. I dont post much because im not brewing that much but I read the forum every day. There is a reason "The Hat" is very respected on this forum. There is a lot to be learned from the OG's here and they are always respectful of the NOOB. At one point, they were new to the process as well.

I'm new to this too and I gotta say that I've never felt attacked by anyone on here. I enjoy reading all the responses to my posts and I feel that I learn something new everyday since I've joined up in this community. BrowncoatMal is right about having patience, it does suck having to wait but it is a great lesson for making beer. Trust me even with a "better" system you will still have to be patient with your beer. I'm glad I started brewing with the Mr. Beer cause I've learned more about brewing from this community than I might have learned from just jumping into the brewing process on my own.

"Beanie" post=324827 said:

I'm new to this too and I gotta say that I've never felt attacked by anyone on here. I enjoy reading all the responses to my posts and I feel that I learn something new everyday since I've joined up in this community.

Glad to hear this. We try as a community to help everyone in their brewing goals. We have had trolls on here, they don't last long. We might get snippy with each other at times, but from what I've seen, it is all in good fun, none has been malicous. Everyone likes to rib or get rib'd sometimes, just don't get carried away...LOL

BrowncoatMal is right about having patience, it does suck having to wait but it is a great lesson for making beer. Trust me even with a "better" system you will still have to be patient with your beer. I'm glad I started brewing with the Mr. Beer cause I've learned more about brewing from this community than I might have learned from just jumping into the brewing process on my own.

You have that right. Even with all the batches I've done up, I have to admit I still get anxious whilst waiting on a batch to ferment/condition. I have myself learned one heck of a lot from the guys on here. Without their guidence I would probably have gave up long ago. This is one hell of a great community, and for that I am very grateful!